Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Poll: Fighting foods

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Poll: What food item is most likely to cause a violent argument - select only one

Bagels
No votes
Pizza
28%
Barbecue
48%
Deli
No votes
Other (write in)
24%

Total votes : 29
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Poll: Fighting foods

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Michele Cull wrote:First post - be kind!

Chili is a big one here in Louisville. I grew up thinking that all chili had noodles. My dad was from Northern KY - right next to Cincinnati - but he didn't fix his chili Cincy style. He just mixed noodles in with the chili.

MissChele

NOODLES! NOODLES!!!!! What is this?!?!?!!! Image Damn, girl! You picked one hell of a first post. Noodles would make it frickin' spaghetti. That's about as far as you can get from chili. Chili is meat and spices; and very particular meat and spices at that. Somewhere in the archives is a thread about chili. You need to search for it and read the now infamous Post #2, PRONTO.

Geez, just when you think that you have heard it all...noodles of all things! Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum, Michele. You'll like it here...really

rwj

I'm really a very nice guy. Just wait until you get to know me better.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:57 pm

:mrgreen:

Excellent use of the exploding-head emoticon!

And welcome, Michele!!!! What do you think of the pizza wars?

(But, um, ixnay on the oodelsnay :D )
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:03 pm

Lentils don't sound so bad, now do they, when judged along noodles! 8)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:55 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Lentils don't sound so bad, now do they, when judged along noodles! 8)

Shut up, you punk.

rwj

P.s. You going dove hunting this weekend?
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:19 pm

by Michele Cull » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:02 am

Well, I guess I know how to make an entrance! :oops:

I have been chili "educated" by a friend from Texas. We just agree to disagree. I do make a good venison chili without noodles - does that redeem me at all??

MissChele
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:25 am

Robert J. wrote:Noodles would make it frickin' spaghetti.

Nah... Goulash! :P

Nice meltdown, Cowboy!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:32 am

Michele Cull wrote:I do make a good venison chili without noodles - does that redeem me at all??
MissChele

Yum. I love venison chili. What's in your recipe?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Michele Cull wrote:Well, I guess I know how to make an entrance! :oops:

I have been chili "educated" by a friend from Texas. We just agree to disagree. I do make a good venison chili without noodles - does that redeem me at all??

MissChele

No redemption necessary, Michele! We like a good entrance around here. :wink:

And I'm always in for venison chili!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:46 pm

Michele Cull wrote:
MissChele

Did you hear what sounded like a gust of wind? That was me heaving a huge sigh of relief. Consider yourself redeemed as long as you don't put beans in it. I LOVE venison chili! I plan on knockin' down a few deer this year for my meat supply (actually, I plan to hunt all my meat for the coming year, save fish). Venison chili is on the menu.

rwj
Austin, TX
Last edited by Robert J. on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:49 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Noodles would make it frickin' spaghetti.

Nah... Goulash! :P

Nice meltdown, Cowboy!
Mark Lipton

Thanks, Mark. Just doing what I do best.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Chili is a big one here in Louisville. I grew up thinking that all chili had noodles. My dad was from Northern KY - right next to Cincinnati - but he didn't fix his chili Cincy style. He just mixed noodles in with the chili.

MissChele

Welcome to our other forum, Michelle! Nice to see you here ... and don't worry, this forum is just as polite as LouisvilleHotBytes. Ummm ... thinking aloud, maybe more so. :oops:

Most of us from here in Louisville grew up with our chili "con carne" poured over spaghetti, and we like it that way. Later in life I came to discover real Texas and New Mexico chili, and I love it, too, but I don't have any trouble at all dealing with the concept that it's simply two different foods. Not right, not wrong, just different, as different as, say, Republicans and Episcopalians.

As for Cincy chili, it becomes easier to understand when we recognize that it is merely Greek meat sauce over spaghetti, brought to the Queen City by Greek and Balkan immigrants after WWII. They couldn't sell Greek food to the stolid burghers of our upriver neighbor, but when they re-titled it chili, the rest was history. I'll confess, I like it too, as a guilty pleasure.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:46 am

MissChele

Welcome Michelle!

Don't feel so bad. My Mom used to make chili that my Dad would not eat. He called it "soup." It was rather watery with lots of kidney beans, and no added spices other than a super-mild dose of chili powder. So his version of chili was the following:

Very browned ground beef, sauteed with chopped onions and a very strong dose of chili powder. He tossed that with spagetti noodles. That was it! Talk about two opposite ends of the spectrum. He made this at least once a week for lunch. (Probably still does.)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 am

Carrie L. wrote:Very browned ground beef, sauteed with chopped onions and a very strong dose of chili powder. He tossed that with spagetti noodles. That was it! Talk about two opposite ends of the spectrum. He made this at least once a week for lunch. (Probably still does.)

Chili powder? You mean prepared premixed chili in a jar? That is one strike right up front. No one serious about making good chili uses proprietary chil powder. Any more than a serious Curry fanatic would used prepared curry powder - you make it to suit the dish, altering the spice mix depending on the ingredients.

What you are talking about is quick comfort food, not real chili. Nothing wrong with quick comfort food - we could start a separate thread on that!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:54 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Very browned ground beef, sauteed with chopped onions and a very strong dose of chili powder. He tossed that with spagetti noodles. That was it! Talk about two opposite ends of the spectrum. He made this at least once a week for lunch. (Probably still does.)

Chili powder? You mean prepared premixed chili in a jar? That is one strike right up front. No one serious about making good chili uses proprietary chil powder. Any more than a serious Curry fanatic would used prepared curry powder - you make it to suit the dish, altering the spice mix depending on the ingredients.

What you are talking about is quick comfort food, not real chili. Nothing wrong with quick comfort food - we could start a separate thread on that!

I should have referred to my Dad's chili (and Mom's as well) with quotations around it, as in "chili."
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I should have referred to my Dad's chili (and Mom's as well) with quotations around it, as in "chili."

:mrgreen:

An interesting write-up on Chili can be seen at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

Amazingly temperate considering that chili seems to engender factions - the beans/no beans etc.
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:03 pm

So admit to curiosity after reading the last few posts, how many of you have tried, at least once, the Cincinnati "alleged" chili?
I have and once was enough!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Shel T wrote:So admit to curiosity after reading the last few posts, how many of you have tried, at least once, the Cincinnati "alleged" chili?

I have, and really like it. The only caveat is that I don't think of it as "chili."
There was a Skyline Chili chain in Florida near where I used to live, and I used to love their chili dogs. They were heaped with a large pile of a super-fine grating of cheddar cheese.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:31 pm

Shel T wrote:So admit to curiosity after reading the last few posts, how many of you have tried, at least once, the Cincinnati "alleged" chili?

Again, I live in Louisville, just 100 miles downriver from Cincinnati, and this is pretty much part of local culture. If you approach it as chili and expect a Texas "bowl of red," you are certainly going to be disappointed.

On the other hand, if you grew up with it, and if you understand that it is actually Greek meat sauce on spaghetti, it's as good as it would be if you went into a Greek restaurant and ordered meat sauce over spaghetti.

It fills the inner person. If it doesn't fit your model of chili, fine and good. Nobody is making you eat it. But I don't think it's objectively woeful. :)
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Sorry, but wasn't implying Cincinnati chili was "woeful". As always, "taste" is personal and fortunately differs widely, just like that old adage wisely states, "One man's meat is another man's poison".
I did not grow up with Cincinnati chili as a childhood staple, so indeed, once was enough for me as I really did not like it.
Sure doesn't mean it's bad as obviously thousands, maybe millions "love" it.
Now, perhaps to go to an extreme...there's a Sardinian cheese called casu marzu with many devotees, and it's feature is that it's eaten with the live maggots inhabiting it and you really gotta watch out that one of dem little buggers doesn't spring into your eyes...
May I safely conclude that few here would relish this "delicacy"!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Shel T wrote:May I safely conclude that few here would relish this "delicacy"!

Yep, you can have mine! :D
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:26 pm

Robert J. wrote:Other. Because people seem to think that chili has beans in it when it doesn't. If it has beans in it then it's not chili!

rwj

If it looks like chili, smells like chili, and tastes like chili, it 'ain't a duck!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:32 pm

MissChele

Ok Michele, I am being kind, and to prove it, here is a big Lexington welcome to the forum. Now comes the bitter bit. Chili might contain beans regardless of Robert says. :D But, I must admit that real chili does NOT have spaghetti in it. It could have a small pinch (very small) of cinnamon, but no darned spag!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Again, I live in Louisville, just 100 miles downriver from Cincinnati, and this is pretty much part of local culture. If you approach it as chili and expect a Texas "bowl of red," you are certainly going to be disappointed.

On the other hand, if you grew up with it, and if you understand that it is actually Greek meat sauce on spaghetti, it's as good as it would be if you went into a Greek restaurant and ordered meat sauce over spaghetti.

Robin,

What is the "Greek meat sauce" you keep mentioning as a part of Cincinnati chili?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Dave R wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Again, I live in Louisville, just 100 miles downriver from Cincinnati, and this is pretty much part of local culture. If you approach it as chili and expect a Texas "bowl of red," you are certainly going to be disappointed.

Robin,

What is the "Greek meat sauce" you keep mentioning as a part of Cincinnati chili?

Robin, if they quit calling it chili, I would get off my soapbox.
Bob Henrick
PreviousNext