Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Whats a good kitchen floor material?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Whats a good kitchen floor material?

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:02 pm

In the 18 or so months we've had the tile floor, we've dropped only a couple of things, neither of them particularly important (a very good thing!). OTOH, drop a hot pan and it won't scorch, knock an iron off the ironing board and you won't end up with a melted/burnt patch, and miss a few drops when wiping a spill - and if the liquid penetrates the sealer and stains - it looks just like a natural slate marking to anybody who doesn't know how it got there. :wink: Lastly, if the pipes under the sink leak, or if the dishwasher leaks, it won't hurt the floor a bit. We carried the tile into the laundry room for that very reason.

Seriously, the next house we own will have the same kind of floor put in the kitchen.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 am

I live in an old enough house that I have seen the old style linoleum. As the name implies, it is basically linseed oil which has undergone the "paint drying" reaction -- which chemically involves lots of cross linking of double bonds in fatty acid molecules. It has the advantage of being nicely waterproof and durable. But if you drop a penny and step on it, it tends to imbed. And there is a SMELL, sort of like in an artist's studio but worse.

It has been long enough that I no longer remember for sure what we did -- but I think we laid 1/2 inch plywood over it and covered the whole kitchen floor with that, and then laid vinyl flooring (red brick pattern, came in a roll) over that. Not too classy but we do get the "bounce" reaction with dropped glass objects about half the time.

My neighbor put in a very elegant ceramic tile floor. You should see how a wine glass explodes when dropped on that surface. At one point they had a glass-hating cat who would get up on the kitchen counter and "rub" glasses over toward the edge until "kabooom!!" Whenever you took glasses into the kitchen you had to barricade them up against the wall where they would be cat proof.

F
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:20 am

Frank Deis wrote:My neighbor put in a very elegant ceramic tile floor. You should see how a wine glass explodes when dropped on that surface. At one point they had a glass-hating cat who would get up on the kitchen counter and "rub" glasses over toward the edge until "kabooom!!" Whenever you took glasses into the kitchen you had to barricade them up against the wall where they would be cat proof.

I think that would have prompted the disapparance of one pussy at my place!

An allied question is what flooring you should use in your wine cellar. Again, I advocate carpet with underlay. Friends that have built cellars that cost more than some people's whole houses espouse fancy tiles, but that is placing vanity ahead of utility as anything that falls on it may be presumed shattered with no possibility of survival. I try not to meet sad tales of how they smashed a bottle of Harlan with any sort of "I told you so" even though I certainy did.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
An allied question is what flooring you should use in your wine cellar. Again, I advocate carpet with underlay.

I'm in favor of crushed gravel over earth. That way, you can spit anywhere you need to and you have no trouble maintaining proper humidity :D

Mark Lipton
(I guess my answers explain why I'm an organic chemist)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:
An allied question is what flooring you should use in your wine cellar. Again, I advocate carpet with underlay.

I'm in favor of crushed gravel over earth. That way, you can spit anywhere you need to and you have no trouble maintaining proper humidity :D

Mark Lipton
(I guess my answers explain why I'm an organic chemist)

And don't forget the added bonus that you'll be all set when incontinence comes with advancing age and deadening brain cells.... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:03 pm

We have Brazilian Cherry in the kitchen as well as most of the rest of the house. We have no more problems keeping it clean than other surfaces in the past. It does not stain.

Having said that, we have well sealed cork in the master bath. In addition to normal bathroom spills, we also have kitty litter in there. The cork has not stained at all, and I would not hesitate using it in a kitchen.

People who worry about breakage on the floor should eschew granite counter tops. We have had some spectacular crashes.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:27 pm

When some friends of mine gutted their kitchen they put in bamboo flooring. They love it and it is a little better for the environment if that is a concern.

Avoid pergo.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Christine Cross

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 am

Caesarea, Israel

by Christine Cross » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:13 pm

When I get back to the US and (hopefully) build a new house; I want to check out the stuff they make running tracks out of. It's soft so it's easy on the joints, and I want something I can squeege toward a drain in the floor. I love the stone floors here in Israel for cleanability, but they are heck on the knees and feet!
"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." -Luciano Pavarotti
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 pm

Dave R wrote:When some friends of mine gutted their kitchen they put in bamboo flooring. They love it and it is a little better for the environment if that is a concern.

Avoid pergo.

We looked into bamboo at one point, and I really like the way it looks. We ultimately decided to stay with what we have, though. It's the old douglas fir that originally served as a sub-floor for linoleum. It's stained dark and appears impervious to spills. It is soft, and there are quite a few dings and dents as well as a plank or two that will have to be replaced when we (finally) re-do the kitchen. I really like the character of it, though, and it's easy on the feet as well as some of the breakable items.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:We ultimately decided to stay with what we have, though. It's the old douglas fir that originally served as a sub-floor for linoleum. It's stained dark and appears impervious to spills. It is soft, and there are quite a few dings and dents as well as a plank or two that will have to be replaced when we (finally) re-do the kitchen. I really like the character of it, though, and it's easy on the feet as well as some of the breakable items.

Exactly what I have and why I kept it, Mike.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:44 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Dave R wrote:When some friends of mine gutted their kitchen they put in bamboo flooring. They love it and it is a little better for the environment if that is a concern.

Avoid pergo.

We looked into bamboo at one point, and I really like the way it looks. We ultimately decided to stay with what we have, though. It's the old douglas fir that originally served as a sub-floor for linoleum. It's stained dark and appears impervious to spills. It is soft, and there are quite a few dings and dents as well as a plank or two that will have to be replaced when we (finally) re-do the kitchen. I really like the character of it, though, and it's easy on the feet as well as some of the breakable items.

I had this in my kitchen in California and loved it. Straight-grain fir is actually pretty tough. My house was built circa 1880. It had softwoods in the walls, studs, joists, sheathing, and rafters, too - redwood.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Leanne, we have travertine in California and hard-wood in North Carolina. I must say that the tile is much harder on my feet and legs than the wood. If I'm doing any "marathon" cooking in CA, I always wear my Sauconys. I'm not sure why the tile is so much harder to stand on, because I can't imagine that the wood has any "play" in it. Any thoughts? Is it my imagination??

Not your imagination. Among floorings, wood is actually considered a "soft floor" and travertine as you found out, is not. We did our entire first floor in Huntington Beach in large format travertine, and it was sure beautiful, but what a pain. Am considering nothing but wood for the next new floor here, though I could be up a creek since it has to go on slab concrete.

Leanne, I believe Christina Georgina did some cork--I remember asking here about it a year or three ago and several people spoke up to recommend it. I think she was one of them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Leanne S

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Sonoma County

by Leanne S » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Cork is really appealling to me after reading this. I think it also bends, doesn't it? Because we have another problem I didn't mention: the house is on adobe that swells when it absorbs water, and there have been times the parquet tiles buckled up. (Then they go back down when the adobe dries out.) We got rid of some tree roots and other things to try and stop it, but it would be nice to have a more flexible floor material. I could leave strategic gaps or seams filled with some kind of flexible stuff if I went for bamboo though, maybe.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:25 pm

Cork kitchen floor - I love it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Leanne S

Rank

Wine geek

Sonoma County

by Leanne S » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Christina Georgina, I'm envious of every last thing in those photos.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Leanne S wrote:Cork is really appealling to me after reading this. I think it also bends, doesn't it? Because we have another problem I didn't mention: the house is on adobe that swells when it absorbs water, and there have been times the parquet tiles buckled up. (Then they go back down when the adobe dries out.) We got rid of some tree roots and other things to try and stop it, but it would be nice to have a more flexible floor material. I could leave strategic gaps or seams filled with some kind of flexible stuff if I went for bamboo though, maybe.

I'm not sure you want bamboo. It might delaminate under your conditions.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:25 pm

The disadvantage of just about all modern wood flooring materials is that they are no more than veneers of varying thickness over a backing. You don't have the option of refinishing or at least not much or often.

Solid wood flooring, not usually used today because of cost, can be sanded down many times and refinished before you'd need to think about replacing it.

Of course not many people stay in one place for decades in today's world, so investing in a kitchen floor that lasts longer than the shock absorbers on your car may not be considered to be a good investment.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks Leanne. The full extension roll out shelves under the cooktop turned out to be one of the best ideas in the new kitchen. All of my pots/pans/lids are now easily accessible.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Leanne S

Rank

Wine geek

Sonoma County

by Leanne S » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:58 pm

I just returned from the flooring showroom.
The literature for the cork says:
"Pre-finished natural cork flooring is protected with 5 coats of durable UV cured acrylic finish. Regular maintenance requires only routine sweeping and vacuuming...Use only cleaners specified for use on pre-finished hardwood... Wet maintenance is entirely forbidden."
How can you not mop a kitchen? Even if I got after every spill of mine, there are other people in my family doing sticky things behind my back.

I also took home a piece of linoleum, and yes, it does smell. Also, though the base color goes all the way through, I can scratch off the texturing pattern on top pretty easily.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:43 am

Weird. How durable can that finish be if it can't take a damp mop?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:14 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Weird. How durable can that finish be if it can't take a damp mop?

Not nearly as durable as my slate! :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Previous