Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I'm not sure what to think of this peanut butter.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

I'm not sure what to think of this peanut butter.

by ScottD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:15 pm

The spice shop I work in carries some really (maybe not totally) crazy peanut butters with add-ins like White Choc/Raspberry, Choc Chip Cookie Dough, Apricot chunk, etc. But the latest order included Sundried Tomato. It's not awful. I wasn't sure what to expect, and when people were turning up their noses, I started thinking savory uses for it.

Everything bagels or any savory bagel for that matter.
Peanut dipping sauce.

The company sends some recipe cards for each flavor and the one for this one was an addition to mashed potatoes. I'm not totally turned off by it but I can't wrap my head around it either.

Any other thoughts for using this stuff? They've got an Asian Curry too, but we haven't had it in the shop yet.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: I'm not sure what to think of this peanut butter.

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:08 pm

Maybe a riff on gado-gado or some Indonesian-style noodle dish.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Have you checked the company's website for recipes? They should have some really great ideas on using the product. If the peanut butter is quality, the additions, if quality, should be very savory.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Maybe a riff on gado-gado or some Indonesian-style noodle dish.

This was my first thought, too. It could work with Thai peanut sauce as well.

rwj
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 am

ScottD wrote:The company sends some recipe cards for each flavor and the one for this one was an addition to mashed potatoes. I'm not totally turned off by it but I can't wrap my head around it either.

On Top Chef, one of the contestants made Peanut Butter Mashed Potatoes. I think it may have been that surly Lisa. Tom (the host) was skeptical, but said he really liked it. I'm not sure I can wrap my head around that one either...

Incidentally, I remember flavored peanut butters called Coogle (Koogle?) back when I was a kid in the 70s. I begged my mom to buy it. It was really good. The banana flavored was a favorite.

Edited to add this link to info about Koogle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koogle
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)