Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Bouillabaisse of Peas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Bouillabaisse of Peas

by Jenise » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:40 pm

This odd-sounding recipe turned up on Epicurious while I was searching for something else. The name was so interesting I had to read through it, and having done that it occurred to me that it was a pretty interesting recipe for a hearty vegetarian soup featuring an ingredient that is fresh and amazing in the northern hemisphere right about now, and something that might tantalize Stuart, so I'm posting it.

bouillabaisse of peas
Gourmet | January 2006; originally published 1967

Originally introduced in our pages as "an ancient Provençal way of dressing up little green peas," this soup may not qualify as a true bouillabaisse (there is no seafood in sight), but it is comfort in a bowl. And since it uses frozen rather than fresh peas, it can be made at any time of year.

Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 55 min

Servings: Makes 6 servings.

1 (4-inch) piece celery
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
3 fresh thyme sprigs
2 fresh parsley sprigs
8 black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon slightly crushed fennel seeds

For soup
1 qt water
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 (1-inch-thick) slices baguette
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 lb medium boiling potatoes
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (10-oz) package frozen baby peas (not thawed)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 large eggs

Special equipment: an 8-inch square of cheesecloth; kitchen string

Make bouquet garni:
Wrap bouquet garni ingredients in cheesecloth and tie with kitchen string.

Make soup:
Bring water and bouquet garni to a boil in a 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan.

Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook bread slices, turning over once, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer bread to 6 soup bowls. Add remaining 3 tablespoons oil to skillet and cook onion over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Peel potatoes, then cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Add potatoes to onion and cook, turning occasionally, until onion is translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, peas, salt, pepper, and hot water with bouquet garni and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 7 minutes. Discard bouquet garni.

Break eggs into simmering soup and poach, uncovered, spooning broth over eggs occasionally, until softly set, about 6 minutes. Transfer eggs with a slotted spoon to toasts and divide soup among soup bowls.

Cooks' note:
Egg yolks will not be fully cooked, which may be of concern if there is a problem with salmonella in your area.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov