Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Lefse

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eric L

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Yokohama, Japan

Lefse

by Eric L » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:09 am

I attended a family reunion in north-western Minnesota over the Forth of July weekend. One of the days, several of my aunts made lefse, Norwegian potato flat bread. It is made with finely mashed potatos, cream and some flour. Here are some of the photos including the special equipment used in making it.

I did not get around to posting this earlier as things have been hectic around here. I found out a few weeks ago that in mid-September I will be moving to Yokohama, Japan for three years as part of my job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Lefse

by Jenise » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:58 am

Eric,

I live in an area with a lot of Norwegian immigrants and a (packaged) Norwegian potato bread is sold in some stores, but they're thicker than what your aunt is making here and cut in triangles. Maybe related, but not exactly the same thing as lefse then?

Anyway, how is this bread eaten? Is it used as a container, like a tortilla say, or is it served on the side and spread with butter or jam or neither or something else? Oh, and in the second photo, I see two griddles. Is she working both at the same time?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:23 pm

Precisely the same griddle that I use to make tortillas..... And yes, with the right ingredients, I do make and enjoy wraps.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi Eric, and welcome! The pics are great and this process is very interesting. A few more questions, how do you pronounce "Lefse"? Also, what does the dented rolling pin do?

Thanks for posting this!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Eric L

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Yokohama, Japan

by Eric L » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Eric,

I live in an area with a lot of Norwegian immigrants and a (packaged) Norwegian potato bread is sold in some stores, but they're thicker than what your aunt is making here and cut in triangles. Maybe related, but not exactly the same thing as lefse then?

Anyway, how is this bread eaten? Is it used as a container, like a tortilla say, or is it served on the side and spread with butter or jam or neither or something else? Oh, and in the second photo, I see two griddles. Is she working both at the same time?

I too can get packaged lefse at Corti Bros. here in Sacramento and it is indeed thicker and cut into triangles. The store-bought stuff has more of a flour taste to me. Lefse can be eaten with both sweet and savory food. Usually it is eaten rolled like a tortilla. Most of us were eating it that day with homemade preserves made by one of my other aunts (I have nine aunts). See the photo below of the some lefse ready to be eaten. One popular way is to spread a little butter and then sprinkle it with sugar.
Regarding the two griddles; no, there were several of my aunts who were working the two griddles. Lefse does not take but a minute per side. My aunts had quite a production line going.

Maria Samms wrote:Hi Eric, and welcome! The pics are great and this process is very interesting. A few more questions, how do you pronounce "Lefse"? Also, what does the dented rolling pin do?

Thanks for posting this!

The "e" is short and both are pronounced. The accent is on the first syllable.
The dented rolling pin helps keep the sticky potato dough from sticking and helps give it a more consistent thickness. Notice in the third photo of my original post that my aunt has also put a sock-like tube over the pin to further prevent the dough from sticking.

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:25 pm

Thanks for the answers, Eric. And the picture. I wasn't hungry until I saw that....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:44 pm

My husband is Norwegian. One of his first gifts to me was a lefse griddle - same as pictured- a ridged rolling pin, spatula - same as pictured- and an apron claiming "I love lefse". Romantic eh ? After much trial and error and consulting with the locals who run the church lefse fests I make a good approximation to the real thing. The trick, as with most potato based doughs - think gnocchi - is not to add too much flour. So, starting with old, shriveled potatoes, steamed, not boiled, riced and left to dry out at room temp before and adding just enough flour and a bit of cream to get it to roll works best. My husband likes the sweet variations - cinnamon/cardamon sugar or preserves - classically lignonberry or cloud berry. I prefer the savory - as a base for meat/cheese. It's a seasonal thing - mostly winter or holiday smorgasboard entertaining. The griddle however is great for other flatbreads including tortilla and Sardegnian flat bread. I use it almost weekly on Saturday for corn griddle cakes for breakfast.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:49 pm

One more comment - the store bought variety is like processed paper towels in texture and taste compared to the real thing. Do not make a judgement about lefse unless you've had fresh off the griddle. It's not haute cuisine but a signature ethnic food.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:One more comment - the store bought variety is like processed paper towels in texture and taste compared to the real thing. Do not make a judgement about lefse unless you've had fresh off the griddle. It's not haute cuisine but a signature ethnic food.

That I knew. At least, that the store bought taste like paper towels (great analogy!)--I've not been tempted to buy them twice. I've been looking forward to tasting the real thing.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:01 pm

I have had them several times but they always were with preserves. Haven't seen the barbeque sauce version before though.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.