Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Furi knife sharpeners? Help, please

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Furi knife sharpeners? Help, please

by Dave R » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:44 pm

Ok, I admit it. Outside of work, I am a terrible procrastinator. When I am done putting out the fires at work, I am in a teeth grinding, white knuckle frenzy to get the personal things in my life resolved at the very last second. Today I was reminded that I still needed to buy a gift for a friend’s wife that is celebrating her 30th birthday next week. When asked what she wanted, weeks ago, she specifically told me “nothing” and then mentioned to someone that she would love to have a Furi knife sharpener.
I have done some webernet research, and have found that these things vary in price and quality. I use a whetstone and steel but she has her heart set on a Furi. Oddly the Emeril and Rachael Ray Furi products seem to be the most expensive. Does anyone have some solid Furi advice they would be willing to share?
Thanks, and I will not procrastinate in responding.
Dave
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Furi knife sharpeners? Help, please

by Celia » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:06 pm

Dave, I have one, and I love it. Then again, I'm a bit nationalistic about the Furi range, since they're Oz made. We find the sharpener works well for both the Furi knives we have, as well as the Mundials. It's a lot easier to use than the steel Pete used to use to sharpen our knives (never had a stone).

The sharpener costs about $95 here.

Don't know if any of this is useful, as I can't recommend a cheaper source over there...

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:16 pm

Ok, I can offer something helpful. :)

This is the one we have :

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Pr ... id=1275479

There is a cheaper one :

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Pr ... id=1594750

BUT if she owns the Furi knife block, this might have come free with the unit (our block came with one). The first one has bits to put an edge back on it, not just hone the edge (which is what the second one does).
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi *C*,

That is indeed helpful and thanks for converting into dollars. Oddly some are dirt cheap at $25 and some are close to $100 over here.

Does it also work on santoku knives with the "scallops"?

Thanks
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:47 pm

Yep. If you go to the second link I sent, you can see a clip of them sharpening the scalloped East West knife.

C

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial