Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Advertising Targets Morons - and Finds Them!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Advertising Targets Morons - and Finds Them!

by Bill Spohn » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Heard this on the radio driving in to work this morning - it was a Seattle jazz station - Jenise, this must be an American thing :wink:

They were advertising fresh cherries as being 'fat free'.

I can just hear the sheep now - Hey, Martha, make sure you only buy those fat free cherries, we don't want none of them other kind...."

God help us! A miracle the sugar manufacturers haven't jumped on this band wagon - "Feed your kids all the sugar they can choke down - they won't get one ounce of fat in it"

Heaven knows the powers that be, particularly in the US, regulate what you can say about foodstuffs. Why don't they prevent nonsense claims about things like this?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Advertising Targets Morons - and Finds Them!

by Jenise » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:40 pm

That's funny! I've heard such claims about carrots and things, but it's usually when trying to sell the item as a snack and pointing out the benefits of the item as a snack vs. packaged so-called snack foods.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:46 pm

I wish I could say this was new. The grocery store is full of "cholesterol-free" vegetable-based products.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:53 pm

I think it is funny. Like fat free half & half.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:35 pm

There is nothing funny about fat-free half and half. It's a travesty.

:x
Patti
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:32 pm

Bill
Too late - I can recall fat-free touted on sugar-based products over here. Marketing weasels will get away with whatever they can, but as you grow older the filtering becomes much more efficient.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Actually, this is really common. For years, I have seen cookies touted as "caffeine-free", soda pop touted as "fat free", etc.

For jollies, compare the nutrition labels on low-fat yogurt and fat-free yogurt. You'll find that the fat-free has more sugar added (presumably, to make it palatable to people accustomed to rich food).

Sigh.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Dave R wrote:I think it is funny. Like fat free half & half.

"Fat-free half & half" is not funny. It's criminal label fraud.

"Half & half" means half cream, half milk. By definition there is no way it can be fat-free. If this concoction IS fat-free, it by definition can't be half-and-half.

And actually, fresh cherries technically, biologically speaking, are NOT fat-free. They can't possibly be, as all cells, be they plant or animal, contain triglyceryl lipids (i.e., fat). Albeit the fat content is in trace amounts, and it probably meets the Agriculture Department's standards for labeling as "fat free".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:04 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I can just hear the sheep now - Hey, Martha, make sure you only buy those fat free cherries, we don't want none of them other kind...."

Some people will believe anything they hear on the radio or view on the tube. Its those same people who refuse to read a label or buy 'whole' foods.

On a sidebar note: I asked a grocery clerk at our local 'supermarket': "Say what variety of cherries are these ?" The genius said " red " .
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:On a sidebar note: I asked a grocery clerk at our local 'supermarket': "Say what variety of cherries are these ?" The genius said " red " .

Made me laugh, but last week I actually noticed a sign over the cherries that said "Red Cherries", and that's vs. the Raniers which were right next to them. Kind of clever solution even if it further mediocritizes things, in that the store no longer has to worry about whether these are lapins vs. bings vs. whatever. Kind of like what's happened to potatoes: red, yellow, white, etc.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:22 pm

Puts me in mind of the section in Fast Food Nation where Schlosser is touring the flavoring plants in New Jersey.

He mentions the same foodists, in the same plants, in the same labs are working on "natural" and "artificial" flavors. Both are man made.

Interestingly, the flavor manufacturers do not have to disclose the ingredients in their flavors - to the public - as long as they assure the government they are Generally Recognized as Safe. Artificial strawberry, for instance, has 50 (literally) ingredients.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:35 pm

The government often sets standards for what you have to have to call a foodstuff by a particular name (they don't always drop the ball as badly as with the half and half), but the accepted additives aren't always specified, if, as you said, they are not harmful.

So we get peanut butter that must be at least 90% peanuts (and IMNSHO should be 100% peanuts) that can have 10% crap in it, as long as the crap ain't considered to be harmful. It could have 10% sawdust, or 10% sugar and still pass muster.