Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Playing with oils

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Playing with oils

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm

This has always been fun for me as with vinegars. My latest love is Tourangelle Oils from California. Last night I use their White Truffle oil in some Jasmine Rice - heaven. Today, I picked cucumbers and a myriad of tomatoes from our garden, sliced them up, and dressed with sweet basil, Hazelnut Oil and Champagne vinegar. They will be great with some meaty bone-in short ribs I am cooking in the Crockpot with a home made BBQ sauce.

I bought a Walnut Oil from Trader Joe's in the same type and size of can but had their label on it. I suspect it comes from the same company because of similarities I see and quality of product. Have you ever tried these oils and what do you like to use them for?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Playing with oils

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:34 pm

One of my favorite dishes is a baked sweet potato mixed up in the skin with salt, chopped rosemary, and hazelnut oil.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:38 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:This has always been fun for me as with vinegars. My latest love is Tourangelle Oils from California. Last night I use their White Truffle oil in some Jasmine Rice - heaven. Today, I picked cucumbers and a myriad of tomatoes from our garden, sliced them up, and dressed with sweet basil, Hazelnut Oil and Champagne vinegar. They will be great with some meaty bone-in short ribs I am cooking in the Crockpot with a home made BBQ sauce.

I bought a Walnut Oil from Trader Joe's in the same type and size of can but had their label on it. I suspect it comes from the same company because of similarities I see and quality of product. Have you ever tried these oils and what do you like to use them for?

Karen, I'm totally with you there. I tend to buy too many and always have something going rancid on me, but I can't resist something new. Recently, I bought pistachio oil for the first time. A favorite salad dressing for green leaf lettuce tossed with blue cheese and chopped chives is a simple blend of fresh lemon juice, walnut oil and salt. You need nothing else.

Dovetailing over to Robert's comment, if I had to choose just one nut oil to live with forever, it would be hazelnut.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:28 pm

Robert J. wrote:One of my favorite dishes is a baked sweet potato mixed up in the skin with salt, chopped rosemary, and hazelnut oil.

rwj

I will think of nothing else until I am able to try this. That just sounds like an incredible combination... reminiscent of butternut squash ravioli with toasted walnut butter I would imagine.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Robert, do you have roasted pumpkinseed oil available in your area? (especially the Styrian stuff) Really excellent with winter squash, sweet potato, or anything like that.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:52 pm

Hazelnut oil is one of the reasons we treck up to Whole Foods in Portland every so often. To the best of my knowledge it is not available in New Hampshire!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Karen, I'm totally with you there. I tend to buy too many and always have something going rancid on me, but I can't resist something new. Recently, I bought pistachio oil for the first time. A favorite salad dressing for green leaf lettuce tossed with blue cheese and chopped chives is a simple blend of fresh lemon juice, walnut oil and salt. You need nothing else.

Jenise, that sounds excellent and will be my salad tomorrow night. I keep my oils on a shelf in the refrigerator. They keep a very long time.

Robert, I see a sweet potato in my menu planning over the next few days. Oh yum! I love rosemary on them as you do, the nut oil will be a great addition.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:07 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Robert J. wrote:One of my favorite dishes is a baked sweet potato mixed up in the skin with salt, chopped rosemary, and hazelnut oil.

rwj

I will think of nothing else until I am able to try this. That just sounds like an incredible combination... reminiscent of butternut squash ravioli with toasted walnut butter I would imagine.

Carrie, I am not sure just what kind of grill you have, but you probably aware of my Ceramic grill. A couple weeks back I did a pork tenderloin on the grill, and I decided to grill a couple sweet potatoes too. Oiled them up with some evoo and stuck them on the grill for an hour at 375 degrees, put the pork on 15 minutes later and both were done right on time. These might have been the best darn sweet potatoes I have ever had. The skin peeled off so easily, leaving the meat that required a dollop of butter and nothing else. Good stuff with pork.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:08 pm

rwj

Robert, see my reply to Carrie.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm

I would never have thought to put rosemary on sweet taters (sorry, my roots are showing), but I will try it next time I bake some, and after I visit the WF for hazelnut oil.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:31 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:

rwj

Carrie, I am not sure just what kind of grill you have, but you probably aware of my Ceramic grill. A couple weeks back I did a pork tenderloin on the grill, and I decided to grill a couple sweet potatoes too. Oiled them up with some evoo and stuck them on the grill for an hour at 375 degrees, put the pork on 15 minutes later and both were done right on time. These might have been the best darn sweet potatoes I have ever had. The skin peeled off so easily, leaving the meat that required a dollop of butter and nothing else. Good stuff with pork.

In CA we have a Big Green Egg, so I will try that when we get back there. I wouldn't have thought you could put them right on the grill! Sounds wonderful. I agree--pork and sweet potatoes are a great combo.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:35 am

Bob Henrick wrote:

rwj

Robert, see my reply to Carrie.

Bob, we have a Big Green Egg at work. When it cools below 107 degrees down here I will fire it up and do some sweet potatoes on it. I love them grilled!

rwj