Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recipe report- Karen/NoCA's Apple, Feta and Avocado Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Recipe report- Karen/NoCA's Apple, Feta and Avocado Salad

by Dave R » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:38 pm

I had a few more people than expected over for dinner Saturday night and made Karen/NoCA’s Apple, Feta and Avocado Salad. Wow, what a hit. Everyone raved about Karen/NoCA’s salad. I quadrupled the quantity of most of the ingredients while reducing the amount of cucumber and also added some Galotori cheese. Definitely a winner and I will make it again.

Thanks Karen!
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Recipe report- Karen/NoCA's Apple, Feta and Avocado Salad

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:26 pm

Glad you like it. I did not care for the Granny Smith apple in the recipe...it was too tart. Next time I am trying Red Delicious. Not an apple fan, but this apple is crisp, sweet with just a hint of tart and is perfect for me. I've never heard of Galotori cheese. Neither has Google...can you give me more info about it, please?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:40 pm

Sounds great Dave! I will definitely have to try it Karen. It sounds really delicious. I think I will try it with a Pink Lady apple or Gala. Thanks for the reminder Dave.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:45 pm

Red Delicious? Ugh. Mealy and too sweet.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:18 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Red Delicious? Ugh. Mealy and too sweet.

Fresh off the tree and picked when they should be--slightly green and over the next month or so--they're a great apple. But American housewives want a red-red apple to put in Junior's lunch, so the apples are typically overripe when picked and, hence, mealy. Another fruit ruined by giant agribusiness.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Red Delicious? Ugh. Mealy and too sweet.

Mealy, to sweet? Not the ones I buy. I just bought four last week and they are crisp, sweet with a bit of tart. When I bit into it, I was reminded of the Vlassic Pickle add that is all over TV right now. Very loud crunch and oh so juicy!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:51 pm

I still cannot find any information about Galotori cheese....anyone?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I still cannot find any information about Galotori cheese....anyone?

Sorry, Karen. Try Galotiri. I think that is the way it is spelled in the U.S.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:00 pm

To quote from http://www.applejournal.com/use008.htm :

The most controversial and widely distributed American apple. Red Delicious stores and ships so well, while retaining its shiny deep-red good looks, that it is sold in every possible state of internal disintegration. Too often, store bought Reds are little more than cardboard flavored, mealy mush beneath their glamorous skin. Still, Americans continue to buy it more than all other varieties combined. It can be a pretty good apple under the right conditions. Look for locally grown apples in season, and don't insist on a uniformly dark red color, and the chances of getting a better apple will improve in your favor. Many growers are now growing strains that have been developed more for flavor than for looks. Don't defeat their efforts by rejecting apples that don't look as though they came from a plastic injection molding machine. Remember this simple rule- art is a matter of visual esthetics and food is a matter of taste- not the other way around.

Although I live in NY State, a prime apple-growing region, it is not the case that all those nice apples make it to NY City.

Red Delicious are for giving to children, like milk chocolate. En garde!

(PS. And I thoroughly disagree with AJ's view that food is not a matter of visual esthetics!)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:19 pm

Red Delicious are for giving to children, like milk chocolate. En garde!

Really? Our kids never liked them.....they ate Golden Delicious, Baeburn, and whatever are grown locally here. Every October, we went up into the mountains and visited the apple stands. I noticed that the kids picked out green, pink and mottled types. I combined them all and made the best applesauce ever. It was only a few years ago that I decided to find an apple that I could like and eat now and them. I find myself getting Red Delicious most of the time and unlike another poster who called them a mealy apple, I have never found that. Of course, I eat in season fruit and never buy it when it is out of season, especially at the grocery store.