Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Can Whole Foods shed it's 'over-priced' image?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Can Whole Foods shed it's 'over-priced' image?

by Bill Spohn » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:25 pm

I can see using these gusy if they are the only outlet for the specific products you want in your area, but there is little or no incentive to those of us that live in better serviced areas to shop there.

Their prices range from high to ludicrous, and just about everything they sell is available as good or better from local markets, specialty stores or farmer's markets in my area. I know that other areas may not be as well served by their retailers - we are lucky in Vancouver, a foodie haven with reasonable prices.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I can see using these gusy if they are the only outlet for the specific products you want in your area, but there is little or no incentive to those of us that live in better serviced areas to shop there.

Their prices range from high to ludicrous, and just about everything they sell is available as good or better from local markets, specialty stores or farmer's markets in my area. I know that other areas may not be as well served by their retailers - we are lucky in Vancouver, a foodie haven with reasonable prices.

I can confirm this, having been in the Whole Foods near you in Park Royal. There I suffered a form of sticker shock unlike what I experience in the state-side WFMs. Everything if about 25-75% higher than here. I don't blame you for not being a fan.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:22 am

It really is getting bad. Was watching The Daily Show tonight. Lewis Black was on and was talking about the currency problem in Zimbabwe. They showed a clip of a guy there who'd spent a trillion dollars on three cans of baked beans and some tomatoes. Black's line: "A trillion dollars for baked beans? I didn't know they had Whole Foods in Zimbabwe."
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
Previous