Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anthony Bourdain on ethnic food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anthony Bourdain on ethnic food

by Jenise » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:50 pm

I love this:

"Look," said Ali, an Egyptian/American chef, pointing at a plateful of traditional Alexandrian food in his Queens restaurant. "The history of the world."
He had just put in extraordinarily succinct terms what any well traveled eater, student of ethnic or national food ways -- or serious food nerd has come to know: that what is on your plate, the choice or selection, or preferences -- or ingredients -- almost any place you are eating, are the end result of movements of people and resources, the punch line of a story usually involving (at some point in history), deprivation, starvation, colonialism, slavery, greed, and warfare. No need for us to get all depressed about that.

The end result of the above -- at least (and only) as far as cuisine -- is more often than not, good.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Anthony Bourdain on ethnic food

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:58 pm

Jenise wrote: Ali, an Egyptian/American chef, pointing at a plateful of traditional Alexandrian food in his Queens restaurant.

Ali on Steinway! We used to eat there a LOT! It was best at the times when his grandmother would come over from Egypt and help cook while she was there. :)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Oh, jeez! Spare me the effing liberal angst politics.

Nearly all of what haute cuisine calls "delicacies" was originally peasant food created out of sheer desperation.

Brains, sweetbreads, liver, kidneys, chitterlings, tripe--all consumed by the peasants because their "betters" had scarfed up the muscle flesh. Lobster? There were prison riots in New England protesting the fact that they were served the "vermin" (their words) several times a week.

And a couple of generations later, the rich with more money than they know what to do with are paying premium prices for what our ancestors considered food of last resort--to be eaten only because nothing else is available.

So now your average family dines on what used to be reserved for the nobility, and the rich who can afford it seek out and rhapsodize on what used to be peasant food.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:46 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Oh, jeez! Spare me the effing liberal angst politics.

So now your average family dines on what used to be reserved for the nobility, and the rich who can afford it seek out and rhapsodize on what used to be peasant food.

-Paul W.

See, you call it liberal angst politics. I call it cool. ;)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:57 pm

As the original quote said, and I agree, "no need for us to get all depressed about that."

Many very great dishes were born out of desperation. Coq au Vin, for example: What do you do when the rooster gets too old to perform his henhouse duties? You can't roast the old bird--meat's too tough for that. So you simmer it for a long time in lots of acidic wine, to make it tender enough to eat. And you stretch a single bird for a big family by adding onions, potatoes, and mushrooms.

And the result, born originally out of frugal necessity, is pure culinary heaven.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:07 pm

Paul, Bourdain wouldn't disagree with you. The original quote is rather class-neutral. Your upset seems out of place to me.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:11 pm

The other thing I find cute is the word "ethnic food". I grew up in a Chinese household, where the oven was used to store plates, and everything was cooked in a hot wok, or a steamer, or a slow cooker. And that was while being raised in Australia! So to me, ethnic food really is the stuff my anglo husband grew up on - roasts, cakes, cold cereal with milk. I can't tell you how appalled I was the first time I tried rice pudding - ugh. ;)

The only thing I wish is that "peasant food" still cost what it used to - have you seen the price of puy lentils?

A funny, off-topic anecdote for you. Many years ago, I (jokingly) wanted to write a cookbook for all us immigrants, entitled "White Food". I was going to start it with Pete's grandmother's recipe for making a roast. She was the coolest old lady in the universe. When I, at 19, asked her how to prepare a roast, she said, "well, the way I used to do it was to rub oil and salt on a piece of bolar blade, then put it in a tray in the oven. Then you set the timer, go sailing for the day, and come home and take it out." ;)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:32 pm

I had to look up what a 'bolar blade' is.

I never got the hang of cold cereal, either, if that's any satisfaction.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 pm

celia wrote:The other thing I find cute is the word "ethnic food". I grew up in a Chinese household, where the oven was used to store plates, and everything was cooked in a hot wok, or a steamer, or a slow cooker. And that was while being raised in Australia! So to me, ethnic food really is the stuff my anglo husband grew up on - roasts, cakes, cold cereal with milk. I can't tell you how appalled I was the first time I tried rice pudding - ugh. ;)

In the U.S., "ethnic food" isn't a put-down at all, I hope it doesn't come across that way. Rather, it's an admiring term for the food of a single cultural group, be that race or country of origin, that is very specifically their personal cuisine, which is very different and to be envied vs. the unspecific mutt or 'white' food as you put it most of us of dubious mixed European heritage grew up on. I'm probably quite typical in that I'm a plain white mutt. No idea who my ancestors were or where we came from, and with no food heritage or tradition beyond whatever my mother learned to cook along the way because her parents were meat and potatoes farm people. Or to put it another way, ethnic = better than what I came from and it's the food I and many people like me (the former white majority) seek out when we go out to eat. I have no cultural food heritage, there is no cuisine that my family considers our own. That's got to be about as bad as it gets. So when I use the term "ethnic cuisine", it doesn't mean "what's not white" but any cuisine with a rich and long history. Yes, Chinese would be one of those, but so would Polish and Russian.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:53 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Oh, jeez! Spare me the effing liberal angst politics.

Nearly all of what haute cuisine calls "delicacies" was originally peasant food created out of sheer desperation.

Oh, Paul. Spare me the conservative hegemonial expletives. Which is not something I would normally say, but you make it neccessary for me to return the insult, as it were in order to show you how offbase and unwelcome I think your comment is. Frankly, I don't see where anything Tony said is actually contrary to your complaint.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:56 pm

Jenise wrote:In the U.S., "ethnic food" isn't a put-down at all, I hope it doesn't come across that way. Rather, it's an admiring term for the food of a single cultural group, be that race or country of origin, that is very specifically their personal cuisine, which is very different and to be envied vs. the unspecific mutt or 'white' food as you put it most of us of dubious mixed European heritage grew up on. I'm probably quite typical in that I'm a plain white mutt. No idea who my ancestors were or where we came from, and with no food heritage or tradition beyond whatever my mother learned to cook along the way because her parents were meat and potatoes farm people. Or to put it another way, ethnic = better than what I came from and it's the food I and many people like me (the former white majority) seek out when we go out to eat. I have no cultural food heritage, there is no cuisine that my family considers our own. That's got to be about as bad as it gets. So when I use the term "ethnic cuisine", it doesn't mean "what's not white" but any cuisine with a rich and long history. Yes, Chinese would be one of those, but so would Polish and Russian.

Oh, I didn't mean it as a bad thing, and I certainly didn't mean any offence by the "white food" comment - apologies if anyone took umbrage. What I was amused by was the definer "ethnic" - I see anglosaxon food as a very specific cuisine, so to me, it's ethnic food (well, less so now, but certainly when I was young). I used to watch Delia's cooking classes with great interest - dishes like Beef Wellington had me amazed.

Jenise, I'm sure we're all a melting pot of cultures, but there is no way that I would ever consider you a "plain white mutt". ;) There are going to be future generations of WLDGers referring to "Jenise" cuisine. (Actually,there already is. How often do we hear someone say, "I made xyz a la Jenise today"...) :D

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:00 am

I certainly didn't mean any offence by the "white food" comment - apologies if anyone took umbrage.

Isn't umbrage the opposite of white?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:34 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
I certainly didn't mean any offence by the "white food" comment - apologies if anyone took umbrage.

Would that be "Burnt Umbrage"?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:55 pm

celia wrote: I grew up in a Chinese household, where the oven was used to store plates, and everything was cooked in a hot wok, or a steamer, or a slow cooker.

That must have been some tasty birthday cake that was made in a wok, steamer or slow cooker. :)
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:30 pm

celia wrote:Oh, I didn't mean it as a bad thing, and I certainly didn't mean any offence by the "white food" comment - apologies if anyone took umbrage. What I was amused by was the definer "ethnic" - I see anglosaxon food as a very specific cuisine, so to me

I took no umbrage, I was only concerned from what you said that you thought 'ethnic' only applied to non-white cultures.

I wonder if Australia's primarily British heritage makes what you call "anglosaxon" food there more specific and narrow? Here, though there are regional differences, especially to someone growing up in Southern California as I did it's all one big jumble: I grew up on everything from steak, pasta, chinese food, German sausages, Jewish pastrami on rye, southern fried chicken and Mexican combo plates to a lot of 50's and 60's dishes that my mother got ahold of somewhere along the way, like Swiss Steak. There was zero, and I do mean zero, family food tradition based on our ancestors--whoever they were. It went no further back than my mother's mother, who was a simple meat and potatoes cook from a poor farming family.

Jenise, I'm sure we're all a melting pot of cultures, but there is no way that I would ever consider you a "plain white mutt". ;) There are going to be future generations of WLDGers referring to "Jenise" cuisine.[/quote]

Aren't you sweet. But I'm serious about the white mutt part: I'm green with envy of people like John Tomasso who grew up in a strong Italian New York family and Ines who was actually born in Germany and you who are Chinese--all of you have inherited a culture, a set of traditions culinarily speaking based on who your parents were and where they were from. Me? Zip. Nada. I only consider myself lucky to have grown up in a large city where some of the foods of other cultures became everyday foods for our family.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Jenise wrote:Aren't you sweet. But I'm serious about the white mutt part: I'm green with envy of people like John Tomasso who grew up in a strong Italian New York family and Ines who was actually born in Germany and you who are Chinese--all of you have inherited a culture, a set of traditions culinarily speaking based on who your parents were and where they were from. Me? Zip. Nada. I only consider myself lucky to have grown up in a large city where some of the foods of other cultures became everyday foods for our family.

Anyone who can cook the way you do is eligible for "Honorary Italian" status, as far as I'm concerned.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:57 pm

Dave R wrote:
celia wrote: I grew up in a Chinese household, where the oven was used to store plates, and everything was cooked in a hot wok, or a steamer, or a slow cooker.

That must have been some tasty birthday cake that was made in a wok, steamer or slow cooker. :)

Ha! Birthday cake came from the cake shop. My mother never baked...

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:31 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Would that be "Burnt Umbrage"?

It would be "Raw Umbrage."
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:39 am

A dish best tasted cold?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 am

That, of course, would be revenge.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:11 pm

celia wrote:I can't tell you how appalled I was the first time I tried rice pudding - ugh. ;)

While I absolutely love Dim Sum, for instance, I do shake my head at some of the items that seem to cause line-ups among my Chinese friends. I can take or leave chicken feet and there is a bland pudding-like item (might be Lo Bak Goh) that leaves me shaking my head.

But then I can't understand other ethnic specialties either - the attraction of schmaltz (chicken fat), and such leave me cold.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:47 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I can take or leave chicken feet and there is a bland pudding-like item (might be Lo Bak Goh) that leaves me shaking my head.

Yep, you and BobH and my husband Pete - can't do the chicken's feet. I guess it's something you grow up with - I love them! When you grow up with something, you either love it and crave it for life, or you're so sick of it that you can't stand it. Pete grew up with stews made from cheap (but I think delicious) cuts of meat like lamb neck chops. To this day, he won't eat what he calls "mystery meat stews". ;)

PS. I remember one of the Grumbles (either Bobby or Winger, I think) telling me chickens spend all their time walking in crap, and that I should remember that next time I eat chicken's feet. Now that thought put me off for a few weeks... ;)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 pm

celia wrote:Yep, you and BobH and my husband Pete - can't do the chicken's feet. I guess it's something you grow up with - I love them! When you grow up with something, you either love it and crave it for life, or you're so sick of it that you can't stand it. Pete grew up with stews made from cheap (but I think delicious) cuts of meat like lamb neck chops. To this day, he won't eat what he calls "mystery meat stews". ;)

PS. I remember one of the Grumbles (either Bobby or Winger, I think) telling me chickens spend all their time walking in crap, and that I should remember that next time I eat chicken's feet. Now that thought put me off for a few weeks... ;)

"C" it must have been Winger that told you that, but I do have a chicken story. Back when I was a lad some 60 or so years ago, I lived on a farm, and later in a small farm town community. We had a chicken house in both locations. Every spring, about when it was time for my Mom to plant her garden, it was time for my brother and I to clean the guano from the hen house. If the temperature was up on that day, that was a miserable job I hated it, but that made my Mom not one whit of difference. she wanted fertilizer!

Tried chicken feet once with a lady (fellow worker) from Beijing and decided that they were not on my list of to do foods. Now your bread...that makes me think of my Mom again. she baked about 12 loaves each and ever week for as long as I can remember.
Bob Henrick