Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Carnitas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

Carnitas

by TraciM » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:28 pm

So..I roasted a pork shoulder this morning. If I understand correctly, to make carnitas, I just refry the shredded pork in it's rendered fat. Right?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Carnitas

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Traci, I recently made the Cook's Illustrated version and it said to reduce the cooking liquid (and fat) down until somewhat syrupy, toss with the shredded pork, spread the pork out on a baking sheet and broil until the edges get crispy. It worked nicely and tasted really good.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:54 pm

Some cooks in Mexico will finish the carnitas by adding a little milk and cooking and turning into the milk evaporates. It is an added touch that I have seen many times.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks, you two.

Carrie--- There's wasn't much fat rendered, so I'm basically left with a syrupy liquid in the bottom of the pan. I'm going to do exactly as you suggest.

Mike--I did notice a few recipes adding milk. Is that what you do? I might give it a try next time!
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:19 pm

TraciM wrote:Thanks, you two.

Carrie--- There's wasn't much fat rendered, so I'm basically left with a syrupy liquid in the bottom of the pan. I'm going to do exactly as you suggest.

Mike--I did notice a few recipes adding milk. Is that what you do? I might give it a try next time!

That is what I 'DID' when I ate meat. Have not had any in 25 or so yrs. But some cooks like Kennedy use that method.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:54 pm

Shredded? I've only ever seen them in chunks. What am I missing?
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:36 pm

ScottD wrote:Shredded? I've only ever seen them in chunks. What am I missing?

I guess the carnitas I've had--mostly in burritos or taco--the meat is more shredded than cut in chunks. I'm no expert, obviously....
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:38 am

Well, you won't find this in Cooking Light, but the traditional way to prepare carnitas is to submerge the entire pork roast in lard, and cook it slowly in the seasoned fat.

Give it a try!
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:52 am

TraciM wrote:

I guess the carnitas I've had--mostly in burritos or taco--the meat is more shredded than cut in chunks. I'm no expert, obviously....

Speaking from the Upper South, carnitas reminds me in texture quite a bit of "pulled pork" barbecue, although it gets there by a different route. I'm guessing that the very tender roast meat starts pulling into shreds when it's cut in chunks, and the frying continues that falling-apart process so you end up with a mix of shreds and chunks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:28 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TraciM wrote:

Speaking from the Upper South, carnitas reminds me in texture quite a bit of "pulled pork" barbecue, although it gets there by a different route. I'm guessing that the very tender roast meat starts pulling into shreds when it's cut in chunks, and the frying continues that falling-apart process so you end up with a mix of shreds and chunks.

I think that's partly it, and the rest is service related with the customer's needs in mind. In Southern California mexican restaurants, if you order carnitas you typically get a plate of hot pork chunks each of which appears to have been individually fried or roasted, a stack of tortillas, pico de gallo and whatever. It's a DIY soft taco. I've had it that way right out of the 55 gallon drum deep fryer in Tiajuana too, where the tortilla was almost less there to make a taco than to give you a means of handling the chunk(s) of fried pork. But if you order a carnitas taco or burrito from any taco truck, by neccessity the meat's been somewhat shredded for you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:58 am

TraciM wrote:So..I roasted a pork shoulder this morning. If I understand correctly, to make carnitas, I just refry the shredded pork in it's rendered fat. Right?

I checked all my sources including Kennedy. To a 3 to 5 pound pork roast they use 1 cup of milk at the finish. They chunk the cooked meat, remove most of the fat, add the milk and cook while turning the meat repeatedly until a galze appears. Just wanted you to have this info.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Jenise wrote:
I think that's partly it, and the rest is service related with the customer's needs in mind. In Southern California mexican restaurants, if you order carnitas you typically get a plate of hot pork chunks each of which appears to have been individually fried or roasted, a stack of tortillas, pico de gallo and whatever. It's a DIY soft taco. I've had it that way right out of the 55 gallon drum deep fryer in Tiajuana too, where the tortilla was almost less there to make a taco than to give you a means of handling the chunk(s) of fried pork.

That's what I've had. Alas, in my area taco trucks are conspicuous in their absence. And I have other favorites in the local Super Mercado, never even checked the menu for carnitas.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:25 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Well, you won't find this in Cooking Light, but the traditional way to prepare carnitas is to submerge the entire pork roast in lard, and cook it slowly in the seasoned fat. Give it a try!

Yes, John, this is the truth and the way of carnitas. When I'm feeling self-destructive and am reasonably sure no one is watching, I will take out a large, heavy pot and melt enough lard in it to cover a small pork butt, toss in a cup or two of milk, oodles of seasonings (like cumin, bay leaf, time, oregano, salt pepper, garlic, etc.) and let that simmer for a couple of hours until the pork is nice and tender. After that, I kick up the gas, get that lard a-sizzlin', let the milk evaporate and the pork get crispy, crispy. Then I yelp, "¡olé!," shred the meat, make a little of my own pico de gallo, and go to town. Of course, I do double helpings of Lipitor for weeks after that meal.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 am

Sounds like a kind of a pork confit.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:14 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Sounds like a kind of a pork confit.

Yes, very similar. You have to figure that, besides being Mexico's secret weapon to kill gringos like me, this is one way of preserving the pork.
And now what?