Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food Network Star Finale (spoiler)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Food Network Star Finale (spoiler)

by Jenise » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:38 pm

So Aaron won after all. After the discussion we had last week, anyone think that the fix wasn't already in? (Not that I mind, he's totally lovable and if I were a FN executive, he's probably the candidate that I would think would fill the most empty niches in programming.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Food Network Star Finale (spoiler)

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:57 pm

One has to wonder. Like you, Lill and I were rooting for the guy as he was by far the most likeable. All three had really good auditions but I was convinced Adam was going to win after watching the 3 pilots. I thought he was funny, his web idea was creative, and he was the most at ease in front of the camera. I already have my dvr set to record Big Daddy's House on Sunday.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:54 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote: All three had really good auditions but I was convinced Adam was going to win after watching the 3 pilots. I thought he was funny, his web idea was creative, and he was the most at ease in front of the camera.

Agreed--on the basis of those alone, Adam seemed the clear winner to me, too. I liked him a lot--but his food/repertoire weren't diverse enough. I'll have to figure out when Aaron's show is on and watch the first episode.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:43 pm

Jenise, it is supposed to be on Sunday at 12:30 pm central. It's called Big Daddy's House. I saw a preview, and I have to say he didn't seem nervous and was really having fun. It looked like he was on the same set as Down Home with the Neely's.
Patti
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:08 am

I have purposely avoided this thread since I didn't get to watch Sunday night. We are out of town (without DVR!) and so I had to ask a friend to look up the next replay for me so I wouldn't see a spoiler on the foodtv.com. It was replayed last night so I finally got to watch and even got my husband to watch with me.

I thought Adam was leaps and bounds better than either of the other two. His show was really entertaining. His use of humor was very natural and didn't seem scripted or rehearsed. To me, Aaron--while I agree, likeable--seemed uncomfortable. I really don't "buy" the Big Daddy thing. To me, he seems like a shy person who is stretching himself to be a "personality." Just my take. It doesn't feel natural. Lisa did much better than I thought she would, but she still sort of makes me nervous to watch her. I think it's the squinting. It made me feel sad to see Kelcy in the audience, because I thought she should have at least been in the top three. She was by far the most natural in front of the camera from the onset.

Bottom line, I was disappointed. Especially since it seems the Food Network knew what they wanted the outcome to be long before the finale'. But, it's odd. The Big Daddy concept is not a whole lot different from Guy's Big Bite, or even Emeril--the pioneer of "big, bold flavors." Bam. I'll give Big Daddy's House a try and hope that I'm proven wrong.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 am

Patti L wrote:Down Home with the Neely's.

And what's that? But for this show, I don't watch the Food Network--Sandra Lee made it clear I'm not their target audience.

Carrie--couldn't agree with you more about Adam vs. the others. I also thought that Kelsy had the most consistent camera-ready personality, but what they called her "authority" problem, which couldn't have been better illustrated than by the extent to which she misunderstood that to mean like parental authority vs. ownership of knowledge (the Rachel Ray episode) was probably too big a problem. Don't you think she needed a bit more life experience?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:07 am

Jenise wrote:
Patti L wrote:Down Home with the Neely's.

And what's that? But for this show, I don't watch the Food Network--Sandra Lee made it clear I'm not their target audience.

Carrie--couldn't agree with you more about Adam vs. the others. I also thought that Kelsy had the most consistent camera-ready personality, but what they called her "authority" problem, which couldn't have been better illustrated than by the extent to which she misunderstood that to mean like parental authority vs. ownership of knowledge (the Rachel Ray episode) was probably too big a problem. Don't you think she needed a bit more life experience?

First, Down Home with the Neely's is a must watch. They are adorable. A husband and wife who very convincingly love (and like) each other. She is hillarious and will crack you up.

Yes, Jenise, I do think Kelsy needed a little more life experience. It was that "just out of culinary school" thing, but I think she could have overcome it with a little more coaching, or they could have made that her schtick. She could have demonstrated techniques that were still fresh in her mind from culinary school for the everyday cook. Deboning a chicken, making fresh pasta, traditional sauces--more of a technique tutorial, than another show featuring another recipe to try.
That Rachel Ray episode was a nightmare. She totally misunderstood what they meant.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:40 am

Carrie L. wrote:First, Down Home with the Neely's is a must watch. They are adorable. A husband and wife who very convincingly love (and like) each other. She is hillarious and will crack you up.

So they can actually find talent without holding a contest? :D I'll make a point of looking for it.

She could have demonstrated techniques that were still fresh in her mind from culinary school for the everyday cook. Deboning a chicken, making fresh pasta, traditional sauces--more of a technique tutorial, than another show featuring another recipe to try.

Actually, I thought that this might be in the back of their minds when they selected her and the little teddy bear Shane, same age, as contestants--and I actually think it would have been a great idea. It would have, for once, been a step up and toward real cooking. But Susie (I want her hair) and the other guy, whose name escapes me, didn't steer either of them in that direction.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:47 am

I was pulling for Kelsey from the onset. I think they canned her because she reminded them of Sarah.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:I was pulling for Kelsey from the onset. I think they canned her because she reminded them of Sarah.

Oooh, you may be onto something.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:07 pm

Jenise wrote: But Susie (I want her hair) and the other guy, whose name escapes me, didn't steer either of them in that direction.

She does have great hair. Do you know anything about her background? They never really went into it. A FoodTV exec?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:52 am

Carrie L. wrote:
Jenise wrote: But Susie (I want her hair) and the other guy, whose name escapes me, didn't steer either of them in that direction.

She does have great hair. Do you know anything about her background? They never really went into it. A FoodTV exec?

Yes, a Food TV Exec. I believe they've referred to her as a Vice President of something but I didn't pay real attention. Btw, on the finale, were you as surprised as I was when they introduced the network President? Excuse my cattiness, but that woman looked like a housewife on her way to a PTA meeting or a hair appointment (which she needed), not a top executive who was going to be on TV that day.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:29 pm

Jenise wrote: Excuse my cattiness, but that woman looked like a housewife on her way to a PTA meeting or a hair appointment (which she needed), not a top executive who was going to be on TV that day.

You are too funny. To me she looked like she stopped on the set between meetings. No one could accuse her of trying too hard!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:47 am

Carrie L. wrote: To me she looked like she stopped on the set between meetings.

Or bowling matches. That outfit wasn't even good enough for Casual Friday. :)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:11 am

Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote: To me she looked like she stopped on the set between meetings.

Or bowling matches. That outfit wasn't even good enough for Casual Friday. :)

I may have to catch the end of the re-run again to pay closer attention. :D
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jenise wrote: Excuse my cattiness, but that woman looked like a housewife on her way to a PTA meeting or a hair appointment (which she needed), not a top executive who was going to be on TV that day.

You are too funny. To me she looked like she stopped on the set between meetings. No one could accuse her of trying too hard!

I thought she looked like some Jr. execs with frat boy senses of humor kidnapped her in the middle of the night, dressed her up and shoved her out on stage.

Aaron seems like a decent guy and a capable cook. If I have time I will check out one of his shows some day. I cannot help but think that part of the reason he won is because Food TV is trying to expand their audience base.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:04 pm

Dave R wrote:Aaron seems like a decent guy and a capable cook. If I have time I will check out one of his shows some day. I cannot help but think that part of the reason he won is because Food TV is trying to expand their audience base.

That's got to be a big part of how they choose any candidate, not just Aaron, doncha think?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Jenise wrote:That's got to be a big part of how they choose any candidate, not just Aaron, doncha think?

Couldn't agree more. You could tell that they were very disappointed in having to release the Indian lady who, unfortunately just had too many problems.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:29 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:
Jenise wrote:That's got to be a big part of how they choose any candidate, not just Aaron, doncha think?

Couldn't agree more. You could tell that they were very disappointed in having to release the Indian lady who, unfortunately just had too many problems.

Yeah, but how large of an audience base do you think there could have been when she ONLY made Indian food? It's not quite as mainstream as Italian ("Everyday Italian") or barbecue.