Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Escarole

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Escarole

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:32 pm

In my haste to plant the garden I put in a bed of escarole. It should have been planted later in the summer to prevent bolting and encourage heading. Nevertheless we are having a long cool spring and I have a ton of escarole and the bed needs thinned. What else would you do with the bounty ? Have done beens/greens; torta in puff pastry; frittatta; saute with sausage for pasta; saute with potatoes. Any other favorites for escarole ?

The cool spring has been great for the snap peas - picking now for 2 weeks and still going strong. Another beneficiary has been fennel. I let the volunteer seeds grow and now have TNTC thumb sized bulbs that are outstanding done on the grill. Lettuces, chicory and kale are thriving. The squash/cucumber family lags in these temps. Tomatoes will be many weeks yet.

I love this time of year also because I can come home, walk out to the garden and harvest for dinner.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Escarole

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:06 pm

Oh, I wish I had been able to have a garden this year. You are making me so envious!

Escarole is great with shaved fennel in a simple salad with a vinaigrette.

Bon Appetit, or maybe it was Gourmet, had a crostini with escarole and bacon some time back. I'm sure it would turn up on a search at Epicurious.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Clean it, cut it up, blanche and freeze it for Beans & Greens over next winter.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:01 pm

Escarole soup is a house favorite. Basically, start with chicken broth, add escarole, onion, orzo or rice (and a sausage if you want more meat) and cook until the orzo or rice is fully cooked. Season to taste.

Mark Lipton