Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Image post question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Image post question

by Dave R » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:51 pm

This seems to be one of the most awkward and difficult sites when it comes to posting images. I have never had a problem on other sites and conducted a quick search here before asking and it appears another person has had trouble as well. Would anyone be able to tell me what this error means? I received it tonight while attempting to post an image.

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

Thanks
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Image post question

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:11 pm

It doesn't like you. :wink:

Seriously though, what were the image dimensions? Was it under the required 500x500?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:It doesn't like you. :wink:

Seriously though, what were the image dimensions? Was it under the required 500x500?

:lol: Well under the requirement.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Then I would guess server glitch or corrupted file.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:45 am

Dave R wrote:This seems to be one of the most awkward and difficult sites when it comes to posting images. I have never had a problem on other sites and conducted a quick search here before asking and it appears another person has had trouble as well. Would anyone be able to tell me what this error means? I received it tonight while attempting to post an image.

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

Thanks

David, if you're pretty sure the image was in compliance (500x500), email it to me at wine@wineloverspage.com and I'll take a look and try to figure out what's wrong.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am

I find this a pain as well. The old limit was 600 and now I see (just tested it) that 580 pixels wide is the limit for posting images here.

I'm sure there is a good reason for having chosen a different standard than most of the rest of the web (which almost universally allows a max of 640), and I know that space is always an issue. There are still times when I can't post what I feel may be interesting images from other sites due to this restriction, and I don't always have the time to go in and resize my own images I host on my sites so I could post them.

Maybe Robin could comment on why that particular size was chosen as the best limit? Server issues? Space? I'm sure there is a good reason, just wondered what it was.
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:05 pm

I use Photobucket to host my pics and their default message board size is 640 X 480 making it necessary to custom resize any pic I post here. -RP
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:22 pm

I don't understand the 580 at all. I thought 600 was the default.

Disk space wasn't really an issue. We have plenty of that. However, we did limit the image size on the old forum to keep large photos from stretching out the message window, which was ugly. 600x600 seemed like a nice compromise. I'm willing to make it 640 if it will fit, but I'm not sure it will.

Bill Spohn wrote:I find this a pain as well. The old limit was 600 and now I see (just tested it) that 580 pixels wide is the limit for posting images here.

I'm sure there is a good reason for having chosen a different standard than most of the rest of the web (which almost universally allows a max of 640), and I know that space is always an issue. There are still times when I can't post what I feel may be interesting images from other sites due to this restriction, and I don't always have the time to go in and resize my own images I host on my sites so I could post them.

Maybe Robin could comment on why that particular size was chosen as the best limit? Server issues? Space? I'm sure there is a good reason, just wondered what it was.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I don't understand the 580 at all. I thought 600 was the default.

Disk space wasn't really an issue. We have plenty of that. However, we did limit the image size on the old forum to keep large photos from stretching out the message window, which was ugly. 600x600 seemed like a nice compromise. I'm willing to make it 640 if it will fit, but I'm not sure it will.

Robin, the last time I forgot and tried to post an image, it said 600 was the limit. This time (this morning, before I posted my first message) it said 580 was the max! No idea what is going on there. In any case, if you could make it 640, that would be in line with the rest of the net world and you probably save the posters who forget about the specific rules on this site only, and just say 'The hell with this' and don't bother posting in frustration when they get a reject message they wouldn't get on just about any other site. Obviously if that size causes problems on the site, that's another kettle of fish (carafe of carp?) Hope it is a change you are able to implement when you get a chance.

Cheers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:53 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Robin, the last time I forgot and tried to post an image, it said 600 was the limit. This time (this morning, before I posted my first message) it said 580 was the max! No idea what is going on there.

Total puzzlement to me. I just looked behind the scenes, and the limit was indeed 600, not 580. The same was true this morning.

In any case, if you could make it 640, that would be in line with the rest of the net world and you probably save the posters who forget about the specific rules on this site only, and just say 'The hell with this' and don't bother posting in frustration when they get a reject message they wouldn't get on just about any other site. Obviously if that size causes problems on the site, that's another kettle of fish (carafe of carp?) Hope it is a change you are able to implement when you get a chance.

Okay, let's try it. I've reset the horizontal limit to 640, vertical stays 600. Try it and see if it will work. If your computer tells you the limit is 620, it's lyin', I tellya ...
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:03 pm

White bean and tuna salad, accentuated with hand torn croutons

0610081811.jpg

Well, that certainly makes thing easier. Thanks Robin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:07 pm

640 x 480 tried - error message received:

Your images may only be up to 580 pixels wide.

If you've changed it, it must be something with my computer. I'll try again later from another computer.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:640 x 480 tried - error message received:

Your images may only be up to 580 pixels wide.

If you've changed it, it must be something with my computer. I'll try again later from another computer.

Must be something about your computer, Bill. Note that John T made the upload successfully without any problem. Beats heck out of me what it could be!
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:09 pm

I got the 580 message also. -RP
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:08 pm

I just got it on my home computer as well.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Testing
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Hmm. This was 620 and I got no message.

I wonder if it's a combination of pixel dimension and file size that's causing the trouble.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:26 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Hmm. This was 620 and I got no message.

I wonder if it's a combination of pixel dimension and file size that's causing the trouble.

Or a browser issue? Who's using Firefox? IE? Safari?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:21 am

I use IE and used to get a message that said 600, now it seems to say 580.???
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:20 am

White bean and tuna salad, accentuated with hand torn croutons

That looks really good! Very refreshing.

Patti
Patti
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:35 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I use IE and used to get a message that said 600, now it seems to say 580.???

I have no clue what's going on, Bill, but the forum attachment rule is now set to 640, and several people have been successfully uploading. We seem to be moving in the right direction, but I'm puzzled about why this variation.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:43 am

Yeah, me too, Robin. Glad I'm not the only one seeing this or I'd figure the Gods of Microsoft had singled me out.

When I have time I'll try a few different images and see if size matters.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:46 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Yeah, me too, Robin. Glad I'm not the only one seeing this or I'd figure the Gods of Microsoft had singled me out.

When I have time I'll try a few different images and see if size matters.

Check the byte size of your uploads, too. It's possible that the system is barfing on those above a certain "weight" regardless of their dimensions. That thing about reporting a 580-pixel size limit is just weird, though.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:59 am

Robin Garr wrote:Check the byte size of your uploads, too. It's possible that the system is barfing on those above a certain "weight" regardless of their dimensions. That thing about reporting a 580-pixel size limit is just weird, though.

Robin,

What is the byte size limit? That would be helpful to know. Thanks
Next