Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Leftover tomato paste?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Leftover tomato paste?

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:44 am

David N wrote:Left over anchovies can be put in a small jar, covered with olive oil and will keep, without refrigeration, for several weeks. Left over tomato paste needs a little more care. Wipe the sides of the tin above the paste, then cover with at least ¼ inch of olive oil. This will keep in the fridge for many weeks.

Excellent!! I've thrown a lot of tomato paste out over the years and it never occurred to me to put some oil over the top to prevent mold. Thanks for that, David.

And put me down in favor of anchovies as well. My favorite application for the things is tomato sauce for pasta, but they're good in plenty of other things.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Anchovy Lovers Unite!

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:08 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Excellent!! I've thrown a lot of tomato paste out over the years and it never occurred to me to put some oil over the top to prevent mold. Thanks for that, David.

Leftover tomato paste freezes well too. I put 1 Tbsp amounts into film wrap, give a twist and throw into the freezer in my ziplock bags. They are perfect for adding to stews and sauce reductions.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:24 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Leftover tomato paste freezes well too. I put 1 Tbsp amounts into film wrap, give a twist and throw into the freezer in my ziplock bags. They are perfect for adding to stews and sauce reductions.

Here's an even easier method: Open both ends of the tomato paste can and extrude the contents into a plastic sandwich bag. Seal the bag and pat the paste into a thick disk. Freeze it whole. When you need a little, just take out the disk and break off or cut off a tablespoon-size chunk.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:35 am

My variation: I occasionally buy a huge can of tomato paste and, using an empty 6oz tomato paste can, make 6oz portion sizes that I individually place on plastic film and wrap up. Then I put all of them in a freezer bag and freeze. If a recipe calls for a can of tomato paste, mine are already portioned.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:48 am

Larry Greenly wrote:My variation: I occasionally buy a huge can of tomato paste and, using an empty 6oz tomato paste can, make 6oz portion sizes that I individually place on plastic film and wrap up. Then I put all of them in a freezer bag and freeze. If a recipe calls for a can of tomato paste, mine are already portioned.

Maybe it's just me, but I find tomato paste so intense that I can't imagine a recipe (for less than 50!) that would use a whole can. I tend to use it in 1 tablespoon portions. :shock:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:50 am

I find the tubes of double concentrated tomato paste at least as good quality wise as most canned, and far more convenient.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:10 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I find the tubes of double concentrated tomato paste at least as good quality wise as most canned, and far more convenient.

Ditto.
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

Re: Leftover tomato paste?

by Patti L » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Same here with the tube.

And sometimes, I use anchovy paste in a tube. Does that make me a bad person?
Patti
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Patti L wrote:Same here with the tube.

Yes, unless you're using it to brush your teeth. :D
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:26 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Patti L wrote:Same here with the tube.

Yes, unless you're using it to brush your teeth. :D

That goes without saying, doesn't it? :lol:
Patti
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:My variation: I occasionally buy a huge can of tomato paste and, using an empty 6oz tomato paste can, make 6oz portion sizes that I individually place on plastic film and wrap up. Then I put all of them in a freezer bag and freeze. If a recipe calls for a can of tomato paste, mine are already portioned.

Maybe it's just me, but I find tomato paste so intense that I can't imagine a recipe (for less than 50!) that would use a whole can. I tend to use it in 1 tablespoon portions. :shock:

In those cases, I whack off a Tbs amt and save the rest separately. BTW, my pizza sauce recipe uses a whole can.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I find tomato paste so intense that I can't imagine a recipe (for less than 50!) that would use a whole can. I tend to use it in 1 tablespoon portions. :shock:

Barbeque sauce!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:04 pm

We use the tubes a lot, too. We still end up with partial cans once in while, though.

Nice to hear the options!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:46 pm

Less than a can, squeeze the tube.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I find the tubes of double concentrated tomato paste at least as good quality wise as most canned, and far more convenient.

I prefer the tubes now too. Also some 50g (about 2oz) sachets of tomato paste have come onto the market here. They cost a little more, but are cheaper in the long run as no waste.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:37 pm

Even cheaper is to buy the 6-lb cans and divvy it up. You don't have to buy tomato paste for a long, long time.