Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What Herbs do You Grow?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: What Herbs do You Grow?

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Stevia is very sweet, used to sweeten tea at my house, little bits of it on a fruit salad for breakfast, and a natural sweetener instead of Equal, etc. Gene saw it in the garden and did not recognize it, thought is was a weed, so out it came. Ouch! I will see if the grower has another Stevia plant on Saturday. :(
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:35 am

Basil, Italian parsely, rosemary and oregano.

Richard
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Basil, thyme, parsley, dill, chives, lemon balm which I root out every year and every year it comes back. It's very invasive.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 pm

I am not sure what is an herb, and what is not, but I have (cutback) this year. All I have planted is basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage, tarragon, and the perennial chives. I usually also do flat leaf parsley, some dill ( doesn't last long enough), and a few others. Next year I will do a larger garden space and complain when the wife shakes herbs out of the bottle during the summer.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:13 pm

Bought three more florence fennel plants yesterday.
Also noticed the lemon verbena - with its leaves falling off now that it is winter.
Love taking a leaf and rubbing it for the exqusite scent and know it is made into tea (though I've never done that), but not sure how to use it in culinary dishes. I've just read it can be used in place of lemon zest in recipes, so I will have to try that, although there always seems to be citrus around here. If I'm not using lemon, I am using tangelo or orange zest. I also use young lemon leaves in some recipes. I suppose I could try lemon verbena in place of lemon leaf.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:22 pm

Herbs are Jean's department (I built the raised beds they go in, though), but here's the list:

sage (a perennial in our climate and now over a decade old)
sweet basil
Thai basil
chives
garlic chives
flatleaf parsley
French thyme
lemon thyme
cilantro

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:09 pm

All leftover from last year or prior years:

Sage
Oregano
Rosemary
Lavendar
Chives
Parsley

Replanted this year because last year's died, though it survived a much much worse winter the year before:

English thyme

Newly planted:

bay leaf
more parsley, to grow bigger and fuller before replacing last year's so that I'm not parsley-less
dill
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:09 am

Jenise wrote:Replanted this year because last year's died, though it survived a much much worse winter the year before:

English thyme

Newly planted:

bay leaf
more parsley, to grow bigger and fuller before replacing last year's so that I'm not parsley-less
dill

Thyme is usually very rugged - must have been drought, exposure or cold or a combination. Once it gets going you should never need to worry about it again.

You do realize that bay is a tree - a fairly large tree....I have always been content to buy my bay leaves - growing a tree is sort of like keeping an elephant in the garage on the offchance you might need another vintage billiard ball and need the ivory some time.

Parsley is of course a biennial and goes to seed the second year so needs regular replanting. I've found that cutting off the developing flower/seed heads prolongs it's usability a bit.

Are you planting dill so you can make some dough..... :mrgreen: Some of the strains of dill are very ornamental - nice purple or bronze colours and they seem to taste as good as the regular ones. I like mine so much I can never bring myself to cut them. They are a nise touch in the garden in other words.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Thyme is usually very rugged - must have been drought, exposure or cold or a combination. Once it gets going you should never need to worry about it again.

You do realize that bay is a tree - a fairly large tree....I have always been content to buy my bay leaves - growing a tree is sort of like keeping an elephant in the garage on the offchance you might need another vintage billiard ball and need the ivory some time.

Parsley is of course a biennial and goes to seed the second year so needs regular replanting. I've found that cutting off the developing flower/seed heads prolongs it's usability a bit.

Are you planting dill so you can make some dough..... :mrgreen: Some of the strains of dill are very ornamental - nice purple or bronze colours and they seem to taste as good as the regular ones. I like mine so much I can never bring myself to cut them. They are a nise touch in the garden in other words.

Re thyme, that's what I thought! It's planted in the same bed as the sage, which has survived every winter perfectly, and the rosemary which survived this winter fine where the year before when we had so much snow it barely made it and the thyme did well.

Yes re the bay. And I put it where a tree will actually be an overall garden enhancement.

Yeah, I knew that about parsley, which is why I have some starts getting ready to go in as replacements, it's just that last year's came into spring doing so spectacularly well that I was loathe to pull it.

Dill dough? I...OH. :oops: I've never seen purple or bronze dills. How does dill winter over? I don't know, as this is the first time I've been successful at getting one started.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:15 pm

Dill self-seeds with abandon. You'll never be without it again! :D
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Three types of basil.

We use so much of all the other herbs that we can't really grow enough. And, store or farmer bought are equal in quality. Even dill, which grows like a weed and spreads like one can't keep up.

We've switched to flowers and a couple of tomatoes -- and a single pumpkin going for the 500 pound mark this year.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:06 pm

I thought the purple dill was actually fennel? We bought some as fennel, and it is good caterpillar food in the garden.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I thought the purple dill was actually fennel? We bought some as fennel, and it is good caterpillar food in the garden.

Actually they are similar but different species.

I prefer anise as dill is an annual while anise is a perennial. Anise seeds are flatter and all parts of anise carries more of the licorice flavour. They are pretty interchangeable except for pickling.
Previous