Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Italian Ribs?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Italian Ribs?

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:08 am

Somehow, Italian cooking and Southern BBQ are generally not considered compatible. At next weekend's NiagaraCOOL picnic the wine theme is Italian wines and I am considering BBQ ribs (pork). I've been using Chef Carey's BBQ dry rub and sauce for a few years now and love it. However, I am considering modifying his recipes to give the slow cooked ribs an Italian slant by eliminating the chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, Ketchup, etc. and substituting basil, oregano, ground cloves and spaghetti sauce with roasted peppers. Here's my plan. Any suggestions or comments?
ITALIAN BARBECUE

Italian Dry Rub

Ingredient Quantity
Cayenne pepper ¼ Cup
Paprika ½ Cup
Black pepper, finely ground ½ Cup
Garlic powder ¼ Cup
Dry Basil ¼ Cup
Dry Rosemary ¼ Cup
Oregano ¼ Cup
Dry mustard 1 TBSP
Ground Cloves 1 TBSP
Celery salt 3 TBSP

Italian Barbecue Sauce

Ingredient Quantity
Onions, yellow, minced 2 Cups
Olive oil ½ Cup
Cayenne 3 TBSP
Spaghetti Sauce 6 cups
22 oz. jar roasted red peppers – blended in Food processor with liquid
1 small can tomato paste
Dry mustard 3 Tablespoons
Dry red wine 2 Cups
Pepper, black 1 Teaspoon
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Italian Ribs?

by John Tomasso » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:18 pm

Sounds interesting Howie, but I am in the camp that says ban oregano from all Italian dishes............except pizza sauce, and even then, less is more.
Did you know that among Italians, oregano is sometimes known as "the pizza spice?"
In other words, that's all it's good for. :wink: :wink:
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks John. I'll eliminate it. I know a few folks who hate oregano, even on pizza. Another thought has since entered my mind - ground fennel seed? Used in Italian sausage.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm

Well, I like oregano, and I have three of the weeds growing around the house. (Don't ask about the rosemary!) I'll agree that fresh oregano tastes a whole lot different from dried, and I do like it. You might think about a bunch of Italian parsley if you don't want the oregano.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:56 am

John Tomasso wrote:Sounds interesting Howie, but I am in the camp that says ban oregano from all Italian dishes............except pizza sauce, and even then, less is more.
Did you know that among Italians, oregano is sometimes known as "the pizza spice?"
In other words, that's all it's good for. :wink: :wink:

I couldn't agree more...we never used oregano in our house for anything...even pizza sauce...instead we would use thyme. Might want to add a pinch of thyme or majoram instead of oregano.

Otherwise, sounds pretty interesting and good Howie...let us know how they come out.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:11 am

Maria Samms wrote:...Otherwise, sounds pretty interesting and good Howie...let us know how they come out.
I'll let the WLDGers who attend NiagaraCOOL next week chime in. I'm reluctant to use any fresh herbs in a dry rub. Thyme and majoram along with the rosemary and ground fennel seed instead of oregano sounds like a plan. Hmmm... relating to another thread, I wonder how a few anchovies would be added to the sauce?
Thanks for the input folks.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 am

Batali's new cook book "Italian Grill" suggests a dry rub of:
1/4 cup paprika
3 tbsp packed brown sugar
3 tbsp salt
1 tbsp cumin
6 garlic cloves, finely minced

While smoking/grilling, he periodically adds a bunch of fresh rosemary soaked overnight for a total of 10 bunches.

G
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Maria Samms wrote:...Otherwise, sounds pretty interesting and good Howie...let us know how they come out.
I'll let the WLDGers who attend NiagaraCOOL next week chime in. I'm reluctant to use any fresh herbs in a dry rub. Thyme and majoram along with the rosemary and ground fennel seed instead of oregano sounds like a plan. Hmmm... relating to another thread, I wonder how a few anchovies would be added to the sauce?
Thanks for the input folks.

Yeah, stay away from the fresh herbs here. I'm doing the run-of-the mill today myself. Baby back ribs, Dijon potato salad, dry rub, barbecue sauce, cole slaw. Oh, and a few deviled eggs.I was feeling real American when I got up this morning.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Oh, yeah, something I've been meaning to address here. I'm not a fan of sugar in rubs. I prefer it in the barbecue sauce where it is balanced by the vinegar.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:00 pm

Yeah, stay away from the fresh herbs here. I'm doing the run-of-the mill today myself. Baby back ribs, Dijon potato salad, dry rub, barbecue sauce, cole slaw. Oh, and a few deviled eggs.I was feeling real American when I got up this morning.

There is hope for you.....so happy about that!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:10 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Oh, yeah, something I've been meaning to address here. I'm not a fan of sugar in rubs. I prefer it in the barbecue sauce where it is balanced by the vinegar.
That's why I'm added the sweet roasted peppers to the sauce.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:40 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Oh, yeah, something I've been meaning to address here. I'm not a fan of sugar in rubs. I prefer it in the barbecue sauce where it is balanced by the vinegar.

In a dry rub, the sugar is balanced by the salt. However, it has been my experience that too often people over use the sugar (that's becoming more common in most of American cooking). For a heartier flavor, I use brown sugar instead of white in my rub -- then, sparingly! The smokiness of the paprika, chili and cumin will also neutralize the sugar. I say keep it in! IMO. :|
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon