Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Top Chef--the Finale

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Top Chef--the Finale

by Jenise » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:45 pm

Just watched it. Am SO surprised Richard lost (it was his to throw away, IMO), but it's not like I don't think Stephanie's quiet, unflappable cooking wasn't almost as deserving. Can't believe Lisa thought she had a shot. Would have been quite a dilemna for the judges had Lisa's food been any better.

And what was with all the bowls? It was like someone stole the plates and everything had to be served in cereal bowls and coffee cups. Odd.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

Re: Top Chef--the Finale

by Patti L » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:45 pm

I too thought that the coffee cup service was a bit strange.

I'm relieved that either Stephanie or Richard took it. If it had been Lisa, I would have found myself talking to the TV. Of course after Season 2, I guess nothing would have surprised me.
Patti
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:00 am

I thought Richard would win all season, oh well. -RP
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 am

I am so mad that I didn't get to see the final episode. I figured I could catch it as a re-run, but when I went to look for it to DVR, there were no listings. Oh well. I'm glad Stephanie won. I'm with Patti--Lisa had no business even being in the top three.
Hey, Jenise I think you should enter for their next season's competition. I know you don't need a job, but it would be fun to watch someone we "know." :)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:48 pm

Oh Carrie, you missed it?

Should we give you a synopsis? They were told to make the best meal of their life, and they started out with a choice of sous chefs, each of whom came with a lavishly supplied table with an amazing array of different high end proteins. Eric Ripert (le Bernardin), Dan Barber or Berber (from the Stone Mill or Stone Barn or Blue Barn or something like that up the Hudson River where they grow everything themselves), and the female chef from the Spotted Pig, wherever that is, were the chefs). Of the four dishes they each made, Lisa and Stephanie each appeared to win two courses, while Richard by his own admission "choked", overthinking his options and starting too many things he couldn't bring together in the end. And of course Stephanie won. Her best dish was a lamb medallions with a blackberry sauce, green olives and "braised pistachios" that all the judges thought would be barfo based on the description but which, as Eric Ripert put it, "we really loved, and we have not used the word 'love' for anything else tonight".

Or something like that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:52 pm

Patti L wrote:I too thought that the coffee cup service was a bit strange.

I'm glad someone else noticed that. I found myself wondering how Richard's dish that he called "Which came first?", I think, with the guinea hen, quail egg and foie gras (and wasn't there a fourth ingredient? Can't recall what, maybe the foam) would have played if he'd been able to stagger the layers on a plate instead of stacking them in a coffee cup--that may have been a deliberate choice on his part but it really seemed like they each only had one set of plates to use.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Jenise, thank you for the synopsis. I'd love to hear more if there is more to tell. I went to the Bravo website, but there wasn't much there in the final episode synopsis. (When I get time, I may go to the boards...)

Braised pistachios? I can't quite imagine what would be so wonderful about that. Go figure. How long did she cook them, and in what?

So will we see you in the line up next season? It would be refreshing to see a contestant who's dialogue doesn't need half of his or her words "bleeped out." :shock:
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:42 pm

Wonderful recap Jenise! :)

Here is an interview with Stephanie. She talks about the braised pistachios. If you don't want to listen to the whole thing, you can pick through the questions at the bottom.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... .htmlstory
Patti
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:53 pm

Patti L wrote:Wonderful recap Jenise! :)

Here is an interview with Stephanie. She talks about the braised pistachios. If you don't want to listen to the whole thing, you can pick through the questions at the bottom.

Thanks Patti. You know, I may try those. I'm imagining them to be the texture of southern boiled peanuts...
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi Carrie,

I was just channel surfing. The final episode is on right now here. I'm on CDT.
Patti
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:05 pm

Patti L wrote:Hi Carrie,

I was just channel surfing. The final episode is on right now here. I'm on CDT.

Thanks Patti. I just found the problem. We don't get Bravo! Can you imagine, we have the premium cable package and Bravo is not even available in our area (in NC).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Patti L wrote:Wonderful recap Jenise! :)

Patti, thanks for that. I just watched the interview. So, she basically simmers them in chicken broth for about 30 minutes. Must try this. Wonder which other nuts would do well treated similarly? Hmmm!

You must be out of the flood zone. I feel so bad for the people of the midwest right now. How's everybody bearing up over there?
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:56 pm

I'm very lucky where I'm at. The riverfront has flooded, but most of Dubuque is built up on higher ground and up on the bluffs. And they built a flood wall after the flood of 1965.

My heart really goes out to those west of here. Unending rain, tornados. They've really taken a beating. I can't imagine what it must be like to go home and have it declared uninhabitable.
Patti
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:21 pm

Patti L wrote: I can't imagine what it must be like to go home and have it declared uninhabitable.

I can't either. Makes me realize how gentle a place I live in, and I'm grateful for that. Glad you're safe.