Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So you think gasoline is pricey?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

So you think gasoline is pricey?

by Redwinger » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:56 am

Corn is now over $7 and beans (soy) are over $15 on the CBOT. Can't wait for my trips to the grocery store later this summer. Is it too late to plant my "victory" garden?
Me
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: So you think gasoline is pricey?

by Carl Eppig » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:17 pm

What hasn't hit us yet is the price of meat. There is plenty on the market right now because farmers/ranchers are bringing animals to market prematurely rather than feed them. I'm afraid this shoe will drop before the year is out.
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:57 pm

I think that if the price of gasoline stopped going up today, we would not understand its full impact for another 6 to 12 months. And I don't think the price of gasoline will stop going up anytime soon.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:47 pm

I’m really curious about the current up cycle in energy. Everyone assumes that prices will keep going up. But historically, the oil & gas field experiences these “booms” every 5-7 years, then the bottom drops out of the price of oil and the whole shebang goes down hard. I keep hearing from friends still in the industry that crude supplies are pretty flush right now. But it seems oil is more market driven these days than previous up cycles.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:54 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:But it seems oil is more market driven these days than previous up cycles.

%^)

Didntchaknow ?

Oil is the NEW world currency ... the U.S. dollar falls and oil goes up, the U.S. dollar rises and oil goes down ... can you guess which way it's MOSTLY gonna go in the future ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:Didntchaknow ? Oil is the NEW world currency ... the U.S. dollar falls and oil goes up, the U.S. dollar rises and oil goes down ... can you guess which way it's MOSTLY gonna go in the future ?

Clink !

Bill, you must believe that McCain will prevail in order to continued W's policies?

%^)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Bill Spencer wrote:Didntchaknow ? Oil is the NEW world currency ... the U.S. dollar falls and oil goes up, the U.S. dollar rises and oil goes down ... can you guess which way it's MOSTLY gonna go in the future ?

Clink !

Bill, you must believe that McCain will prevail in order to continued W's policies?

%^)

Bob,

This is an interesting topic but I am confused by your question for Bill.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:12 am

Bill Spencer wrote:can you guess which way it's MOSTLY gonna go in the future ?

Not with 100% accuracy, but I think I will increase my odds by betting against the crowd.
So I will say the dollar will get stronger.
Yes, final answer. Dollar gets stronger.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:21 pm

Dave R wrote:Bob, This is an interesting topic but I am confused by your question for Bill.

David, thanks for pointing out that this response is one of my bombs, and would be better not written.This is probably something I would easily say to Bill face to face. but in this is not Bill and I face to face. I am not going to further engage in a diatribe about what I believe about Dubya, nor McCain, but I will say that I would not give anyone 15 cents for a boxcar load just like them,. I do believe that our government has been suspiciously silent while the big oil companies have tallied record BILLIONS in profit, right along with Haliburton, and a few other companies. I also believe that if McCain is the winner in November we will have at least 4 more years of no change. No matter what I think though, I should not interject this kind of thing on the WLDG. (see Jenise, I have learned a thing or two, now I need to practice what I learned)
Bob Henrick