Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cutting the Cheese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Cutting the Cheese

by Bob Ross » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:38 pm

A puzzle from Henry Ernest Dudeney:

Here is a simple question that will require just a few moments' throught to get an exact answer. I have a piece of cheese in the shape of a cube. How am I to cut it in two pieces with one straight cut of the knife so that the two new surfaces produced by the cut shall each be a perfect hexagon? Of course, if cut in the direction of the dotted line the surfaces would be squares.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/235 ... 82ed_m.jpg

Now produce hexagons.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: Cutting the Cheese

by ChefJCarey » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:02 pm

I started by cutting it corner to corner and then realized one wouldn't have enough surfaces - however if one comes in a little from the corner and cuts down through the block at the same diagonal angle...voila.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm sure that was about as clear as mud.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:12 pm

I think the key is to not require the pieces to be the same volume, just to have the hexagons to have the same area. Hey, Bob, does it need to be a regular hexagon?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:18 pm

I can't believe that you haven't solved this yet, Stuart. Maybe you should try it with an actual cube of cheese.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:25 pm

I did that, but the ricotta didn't hold together very well.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:52 pm

BEWARE: The spoiler is below.

This page has a pretty neat 3-D illustration three images down that shows how - and you can rotate it with your mouse:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Hexagon.html
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I think the key is to not require the pieces to be the same volume, just to have the hexagons to have the same area. Hey, Bob, does it need to be a regular hexagon?

Yes.

Spoiler alert -- not as fancy as Fred's 3D solution, but it does have the virtue of coming from Dudeney himself:

Mark the mid-points in BC, CH, HE, EF, FG, and GB. Then insert the knife at the top and follow the direction indicated by the dotted plane. Then the two surfaces will each be a perfect hexagon, and the piece on the right will, in perspective, resemble Figure 2.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2382/235 ... f6d335.jpg

In practice, the effect is subtle, and some folks do notice the shape.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Bob Ross wrote:
Mark the mid-points in BC, CH, HE, EF, FG, and GB. Then insert the knife at the top and follow the direction indicated by the dotted plane. Then the two surfaces will each be a perfect hexagon, and the piece on the right will, in perspective, resemble Figure 2.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2382/235 ... f6d335.jpg

In practice, the effect is subtle, and some folks do notice the shape.

For anyone versed in the language of symmetry, one could say that you make the cut along a plane perpendicular any of the the C3 axes that run through the cube. For Stuart and any other chemically inclined people, the question is: are the two pieces produced chiral or achiral? I'm sure that there's a crystallographic parallel here for anyone motivated to look for it.

Mark Lipton