Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Nuts or No Nuts?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Nuts or No Nuts?

Yes
46%
No
18%
Usually
21%
Sometimes
14%
No preference
No votes

Total votes : 28
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Nuts or No Nuts?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:41 am

I'm baking banana muffins this morning and threw in a handful of chopped nuts.

Do you like nuts in your baked goods or not?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Nuts or No Nuts?

by Carrie L. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:49 am

I said "sometimes" but the answer is really "usually." There are times when I just want a nice moist piece of banana bread, or gooey chocolate chip cookie or brownie without a "crunchy interuptis."
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks, Carrie. Poll amended. Usually is a great answer!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:52 am

I'm a definite yes kind of girl. Can't imagine any cookie containing nuts that I would prefer without.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:03 pm

I'm a definite yes kind of girl.

Must... resist... obvious... joke...
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:14 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
I'm a definite yes kind of girl.

Must... resist... obvious... joke...

Allow me. Jenise, I have some great nuts for your cookies!

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:48 pm

o/~ "Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't ... " o/~

But I digress. My answer is "yes" so often that I veered to that answer from "usually." Pass over one o' them banana muffins, willya?
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Brownies - no nuts. Almost everything else, nuts.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:03 pm

I have seldom had a baked good that couldn't be improved with a handful of roasted nuts.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Absolutely! Especially when they're toasted!
no avatar
User

Liz Gray

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 am

San Jose

by Liz Gray » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:00 am

I love 'em! Macadamia nut cookies, brownies, banana bread, cranberry bread, zucchini bread! Always gotta have 'em!
Just because I am cynical, doesn't mean I'm wrong. (tm)
http://www.elizabeth-gray.net
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Nuts..definitely...

Raisins...never...

Richard
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:38 pm

I guess someone has to defend the 'no' side of the house here: Every use mentioned so far is sweet, with a heavy emphasis on baking. And I can agree that nuts are good in that context. But, if you consider the rather broader scope of savory and cookery, there are a few good uses of nuts -- pignoli in pesto or red sauce, almonds in white gazpacho, cashews/peanuts in some Chinese dishes -- but not many.

I take my brownies nutless. Ice cream, too, though I love pistachio.

Macadamias and brazils could fall off the edge of the planet for all I care.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:15 pm

Somehow, I ignored this thread for the past few days without reading it. Just before I saw it posted I read an article about a woman who was sueing an airline because because they served peanuts on the flight and her son is so allergic to them he gets reactions just by being near them. She claims she was promised that peanuts would not be served on the flight. I assumed this thread was about this story. See what happens when you ASSume. :oops:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Somehow, I ignored this thread for the past few days without reading it. Just before I saw it posted I read an article about a woman who was sueing an airline because because they served peanuts on the flight and her son is so allergic to them he gets reactions just by being near them. She claims she was promised that peanuts would not be served on the flight. I assumed this thread was about this story. See what happens when you ASSume. :oops:

It's funny, Howie, I work for an airline who's entire philosophy is based on peanuts and I have at least one flight a day that is a "No Peanut Flight". Did the woman in the article have the documentation to present to the flight attendants so they would know not to serve peanuts? At Southwest, a customer has to alert reservations when the flight is booked, then check in at the gate to get the proper paperwork to present to the crew. However, even if we don't serve peanuts on that particular flight, you can bet there are little goobers all over that cabin--in the seat back, under the seats and on the floor. They are everywhere. If their allergy is that bad, I would hope they would travel with an EpiPen!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Here is a link to the story: Suit: Airline endangered boy with peanut allergy. The lady claims she requested a no peanut flight when she booked it with American in February and was assured by flight attendants as they boarded that peanuts would not be served, yet they were served.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Here is a link to the story: Suit: Airline endangered boy with peanut allergy. The lady claims she requested a no peanut flight when she booked it with American in February and was assured by flight attendants as they boarded that peanuts would not be served, yet they were served.

I don't see why they should not serve the peanuts. If the lady's son is allergic to them then don't let him have any. It's a pretty clear cut choice. Now, food made with peanuts or peanut by-products is a different story as that is harder to see. But if you pass a person a bag of peanuts and they have a peanut allergy then it should be their responsibility to not eat the peanuts.

rwj
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:23 pm

I have to say I'm for nuts. I grew up and still live in what once was the almond capital of the world. We still have about 40 acres of almonds that we are farming. During the 80's and early 90's I bought and sold almonds, shipping them all over the world. There was a little bit of buying and selling of walnuts and pistachios too. I do love nuts they are one of foods in life I can't imagine doing without.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:37 am

Robert J. wrote:
Howie Hart wrote:Here is a link to the story: Suit: Airline endangered boy with peanut allergy. The lady claims she requested a no peanut flight when she booked it with American in February and was assured by flight attendants as they boarded that peanuts would not be served, yet they were served.

I don't see why they should not serve the peanuts. If the lady's son is allergic to them then don't let him have any. It's a pretty clear cut choice. Now, food made with peanuts or peanut by-products is a different story as that is harder to see. But if you pass a person a bag of peanuts and they have a peanut allergy then it should be their responsibility to not eat the peanuts.

rwj

The problem with people who have severe peanut allergies is that peanut fragments get everywhere, whether or not they eat them, and the dust from them can get into the recirculating air.