Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Advice on Ivory King Salmon, please

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Advice on Ivory King Salmon, please

by Dave R » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:08 pm

My girlfriend and I were invited to an out-of-town White/Ivory King Salmon and wine tasting dinner this weekend. Outside of Copper River Salmon and the usual suspects we do not know much about the finer types of Salmon. Is the white/ivory something special that would warrant making a long drive?

Thanks
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Advice on Ivory King Salmon, please

by Bernard Roth » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:17 am

The fish is simply rare, not any more special than other King Salmon. What is special is the occasion. I would go for the company, and if the host is an especially good cook, I would bring a special wine to go with the salmon.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:54 am

Like most salmon, it's good stuff. You just don't see it that much. We used to get it at Central Market but nobody would buy it because it "wasn't orange".

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:07 pm

It usually sells at a discount up here too because not being orange, your average non-fishing buyer is put off. Fact is that among knowledgeable salmon lovers, it's generally preferred.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 pm

Jenise wrote: Fact is that among knowledgeable salmon lovers, it's generally preferred.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

rwj
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:56 am

Jenise wrote: Fact is that among knowledgeable salmon lovers, it's generally preferred.

Why is that? Because of the oddity of eating albino fish? Or does the genetic anomaly somehow translate into a different taste or texture, given that the fish has the same diet as its orange siblings?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:06 am

Bernard Roth wrote:Why is that? Because of the oddity of eating albino fish? Or does the genetic anomaly somehow translate into a different taste or texture, given that the fish has the same diet as its orange siblings?

Ivory Kings have an enzyme that allows them to process carotene rather than collect it in their flesh like the orange varieties. It seems to have a milder, more buttery flavor, I suppose because of the lack of carotene.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:26 am

Carotene has flavor?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:57 am

I'm out of my depth, Bernard, but scientists at the flavor and fragrance company I worked for taught that carotenoids are the precursors of many chemicals responsible for the flavor of foods and the fragrance of flowers. Here's one reference via Google; I don't have access to the company library any longer: http://www.leffingwell.com/caroten.htm

I have a vague memory that carotenoids also oxidize over time which might modify the precursor effect.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Bob,
I also understand that farmed salmon would be grayish in color, but for the color added to their diet. It is claimed that the uncolorized fish taste the same as to colorized ones.

Honestly, I think that the idea that albino salmon are any different, or better, for eating than the non-albino is in the category of urban myth. I can well imagine that people are inclined to infer special qualities to scarce goods, a trait that dates to ancient mythological culture. Are there any blind studies - not that there'd be much economical value in doing them?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:27 pm

I don't have the resources to check on blind studies, Bernard. I think your comment about gray farmed salmon has merit; the paler Ivory might taste milder simply because of color. There are many studies on the importance of color on the taste of foods, and several of them are online -- none on salmon as far as I know.

The mechanics of the double blind studies on the tastes of food are often very interesting, and of course the stakes can be very high.

Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:19 pm

I've only had ivory salmon once, no opinion on if it tastes noticably different. But as an aside the use of "albino" here is incorrect. Albinism is the lack of pigment (melanin in humans). These fish don't lack anything, but are capable of processing carotene. All salmon are naturally white-fleshed, but eating krill with carotene changes their flesh color.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:28 pm

I've never tried any but here is an article from Saveur Magazine:

http://www.saveur.com/our-favorite-food ... 60554.html
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:54 am

Maria,
Thanks for digging up that article. Having subscribed to Saveur since the very beginning, I recall having seen it. It is probably the source for my comments above.
Bernard
Regards,
Bernard Roth