Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Other grilling accessories?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Other grilling accessories?

by Jenise » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:10 pm

So I posted about my new cast iron skewers which might revive my interest in making kabobs. These now become the only grilling accessory we have.

Karen mentioned a cage thing she uses. And when I was shopping for a birthday gift for a friend the other day, I was looking at barbecue "woks" and other things, wondering not only if our friend would use one, but if I should buy one, too.

What other grilling accessories do you have and like?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Other grilling accessories?

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:04 pm

I have: a perforated pan, which I adore.

I want: a fine mesh for grilling fish (and not leaving chunks of skin and flesh stuck to the grill).
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Note to self - hint about racks for BBQing ribs for Fathers Day. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Jenise wrote:So I posted about my new cast iron skewers which might revive my interest in making kabobs. These now become the only grilling accessory we have.

Karen mentioned a cage thing she uses. And when I was shopping for a birthday gift for a friend the other day, I was looking at barbecue "woks" and other things, wondering not only if our friend would use one, but if I should buy one, too.

What other grilling accessories do you have and like?

Neesie, I have a wire basket for grilling veggies that I love. The handle is removable which lets me close the top on the grill. I do veggies including roasted potatoes on the grill frequently.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:23 pm

I love my rib rack.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:32 pm

I don't have a lot of accessories used on my grill, but I do have a lot of utensils especially for my grill, like extra long tongs with silcone tips, silcone basting brushes, long metal regular and slotted spatulas, digital meat probes, silcone treated oven mitts, and of course, the most important implement when grilling...a beer bottle opener! :mrgreen:
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Are you too young to remember the "church key?"
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:17 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Are you too young to remember the "church key?"
Or the "P-38" :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:14 pm

Like Chef Carey, my husband uses the rib racks. He can get more ribs on his green egg that way, since there isn't a huge surface area to work with. On impulse, I just bought a non-stick, grill wok at BB&B that I just love. I used it two nights ago for the first time--the veggies got nicely charred and nothing stuck! Also have several sets of long tongs and spatulas, but it seems the only time I use one of those is when I grill fish. I have a nice elongated spatula with a long wooden handle and very sharp blade that works great. For extra thick chops and steaks, I keep a deep disposable aluminum pan out there to create a little hot box "oven" to cook them faster. Can't remember where I heard that tip...I think some steakhouses may do that.

My favorite grill tool is a wad of tin foil. My brother (an award winning griller) taught me that a crumbled up piece of the stuff works as well as a wire brush for cleaning the grates.

We grill a lot.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:14 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Or the "P-38" :wink:

The P-38 was a backpacker's staple, and I could always find a replacement for a lost one at the local Army-Navy Surplus store. :D
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:20 am

Carrie L. wrote:Like Chef Carey, my husband uses the rib racks. He can get more ribs on his green egg that way, since there isn't a huge surface area to work with. On impulse, I just bought a non-stick, grill wok at BB&B that I just love. I used it two nights ago for the first time--the veggies got nicely charred and nothing stuck! Also have several sets of long tongs and spatulas, but it seems the only time I use one of those is when I grill fish. I have a nice elongated spatula with a long wooden handle and very sharp blade that works great. For extra thick chops and steaks, I keep a deep disposable aluminum pan out there to create a little hot box "oven" to cook them faster. Can't remember where I heard that tip...I think some steakhouses may do that.

My favorite grill tool is a wad of tin foil. My brother (an award winning griller) taught me that a crumbled up piece of the stuff works as well as a wire brush for cleaning the grates.

We grill a lot.

Carrie, does your grill wok look like the one at this link? http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=13468141
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:26 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Like Chef Carey, my husband uses the rib racks. He can get more ribs on his green egg that way, since there isn't a huge surface area to work with. On impulse, I just bought a non-stick, grill wok at BB&B that I just love. I used it two nights ago for the first time--the veggies got nicely charred and nothing stuck! Also have several sets of long tongs and spatulas, but it seems the only time I use one of those is when I grill fish. I have a nice elongated spatula with a long wooden handle and very sharp blade that works great. For extra thick chops and steaks, I keep a deep disposable aluminum pan out there to create a little hot box "oven" to cook them faster. Can't remember where I heard that tip...I think some steakhouses may do that.

We grill a lot.

Carrie, does your grill wok look like the one at this link? http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=13468141

No, it doesn't but that looks pretty neat Bob. The poultry juices would help flavor the veggies. Yum. Mine looks more like a high sided sautee pan with holes all over it...even the sides. It's non-stick which is one thing I really like about it (although not sure how long that will last....)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am

A tool I find very useful is my instant read thermapen thermometer.

G
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:17 am

Well here is my favourite weenie roaster I made up from some coathanger and metal scraps.......you'lll need one on each end for those heavier weenies!

Modesty prevents me showing a picture of the item in use..... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:41 am

One of my favorite grilling tools is my BBQ Guru. This a electric digital system for monitoring and controlling the amount of air fed to the coals on Hot Mama. this is accomplished by use of sensors (2) which sense both the internal temperature of the meat, and the temperature of the cooking chamber. I mostly only use this when I cook low and slow such as for pulled pork. I like to do it for 20+ hours, and this will allow me to go to bed and forget it...not babysit the fire all night. I did use it yesterday when I cooked a bone on pork loin, but it is not really meant for temperatures above about 400 degrees F. Otherwise one could melt the wires. Now when I hit the lottery I will get the big brother one that is all wireless. Anyway c lick the link and look at what they call the DigiQ II.
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCar ... roduct=235
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Well here is my favourite weenie roaster I made up from some coathanger and metal scraps.......you'lll need one on each end for those heavier weenies!

Modesty prevents me showing a picture of the item in use..... :mrgreen:

OH Bill! MEN! :roll: :lol:
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Maria Samms wrote:OH Bill! MEN! :roll: :lol:

Zut alors, ma cher, I don't think one would get even browing of the weenie if it were a 'woman' model......

:twisted:
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:18 pm

Jenise wrote: What other grilling accessories do you have and like?

1. My fingers.
2. A set of tongs and a spatula.
3. Some old rags.
4. A grill brush.
5. A chimney starter.

That about does it for me.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 pm

We grill a lot.

I'm going to make my husband read this thread. The foil wad is a great idea, and so is the "hot box"--never thought of either, though I've had the need to hurry things up from time to time. Thanks!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Yes Chef...I have heard of one but couldn't say what they look like :) .
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:

We grill a lot.

Bob, I haven't seen that type either. The ones I've seen look more like the one upper right of that--essentially a perforated bowl (Jeff, is that what you use?)
I've also seen square ones, which I suppose take advantage of the shape that most grills are and give you maximum usable space.
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:58 pm

I grill almost every night all year long and my most important accessory is a Thermapen. Other thermometers claim to be instant read, but none come close to being as fast as the Thermapen. Kind of pricy at $80, but woth it. I have two of them just in case something goes wrong with one I won't be without. -RP
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:One of my favorite grilling tools is my BBQ Guru. This a electric digital system for monitoring and controlling the amount of air fed to the coals on Hot Mama. this is accomplished by use of sensors (2) which sense both the internal temperature of the meat, and the temperature of the cooking chamber. I mostly only use this when I cook low and slow such as for pulled pork. I like to do it for 20+ hours, and this will allow me to go to bed and forget it...not babysit the fire all night. I did use it yesterday when I cooked a bone on pork loin, but it is not really meant for temperatures above about 400 degrees F. Otherwise one could melt the wires. Now when I hit the lottery I will get the big brother one that is all wireless. Anyway c lick the link and look at what they call the DigiQ II.
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCar ... roduct=235

What is hot mama? -RP
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:30 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:I love my rib rack.

That reminds me. You told me about these last year, and July 4th (whereupon I make about 40 lbs of ribs for my party) is coming up. I must look for some!
Next