Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cast iron skewers!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cast iron skewers!

by Jenise » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:49 pm

How cool are these?
Skewers.JPG

Found them while slumming at TJ Maxx the other day. Couldn't resist--the twig shape is so cool looking, and between the heat conductivity of cast iron and the irregular shape that should hold stuff in place brilliantly, these seem like what a skewer should have been all along. Vastly superior, at any rate, to my old skewers, on which meat and vegetables twirl as soon as cooking shrinkage sets in or bamboo. Which has a lot to do with why we don't kabob more often.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Cast iron skewers!

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:57 pm

Is there an insulating handle? Otherwise, you might find out how good the thermal conductivity is and gain a new appreciation for the term "specific heat." :shock:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:23 pm

Those look great. I'll have to see if ours has those. I know what you mean about the stuff spinning around on traditional skewers.

I love TJ's and Marshalls and even Ross for cookware and even unique things for the house. I grilled some chicken tonight and coincidentally was admiring my rectangular serving platter that I got from one of those places years ago. Whenever I take it someplace I get compliments on it.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Is there an insulating handle?

I've never had any metal skewers that had insulating handles. I just always pick them up with either cool rubber-grip tongs, or a pot holder.

And I love the way these look! :)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:12 am

I think they look neat, too. But why didn't you purchase them in a more expensive, upscale outlet? :wink:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:35 am

For your spinning kabobs.....look for the kabob cages they have now for using on your grills. When I do shrimp, I snug them up together, on the tight side. For veggies, I try to tuck a cherry tomato into the concave side of a bell pepper....that type of thing. I make up my skewers with like foods.......all shrimp, or all veggies, or all beef. I seem to be able to better control the spinning that way. Since your skewers will have a lot of one single item, I prefer to unload the skewers prior to serving, onto a large oval or square platter. I line everything up together and folks can pick what they want from the platter.
It looks pretty to have a row of red cherry toms, orange bell peppers, white potato chunks, red cherry toms, yellow bells peppers, and purple potatoes, etc.. I usually put the beef, chicken or pork on a separate platter separated by shredded lettuce or cabbage, as some vegetarians dislike meats touching any of their foods. Shrimp also is on a separate platter with one or two types of dipping sauce and lemons. The platters look so pretty with all the colors and grill marks.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:36 am

Good grief, Karen, now I'm hungry! 8)
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:52 am

cool skewers.....to solve the spinning issue, I've always skewered everything on a pair of 'em.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:49 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
I've never had any metal skewers that had insulating handles. I just always pick them up with either cool rubber-grip tongs, or a pot holder.

And I love the way these look! :)

Shows how little experience I have with metal skewers!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:16 pm

John Tomasso wrote:cool skewers.....to solve the spinning issue, I've always skewered everything on a pair of 'em.

I finally resorted to that, too. But it always seemed so silly, trying to make a poor design work. Always thought a flat or ovel/eliptical shape would work better, wondered why no one made such a thing. Though you can't see it from the picture, these 'twigs' are that--not just irregular in direction but flatter, too. Can't wait to use them--I'll let you guys know if they work well.

Carrie L. wrote:I love TJ's and Marshalls and even Ross for cookware and even unique things for the house. I grilled some chicken tonight and coincidentally was admiring my rectangular serving platter that I got from one of those places years ago. Whenever I take it someplace I get compliments on it.

Funny, I have a rectangular platter that I bought at Maxx and ditto. Hope you get lucky there. If not, wouldn't be awful to pay regular retail--the box doesn't include the usual "suggested retail", but these were $6 for each box of four so MSRP likely wouldn't exceed $12.

Karen, those cages: why even use skewers if you're going to restrain the ingredients that way? Couldn't you just put the objects in there? Most I've seen are narrow enough to just about hold everything in place.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:46 pm

Flat, iron skewers would be grand. Good luck with the twigs!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:For your spinning kabobs.....look for the kabob cages they have now for using on your grills.

What keeps me from buying/using the cages is the clean-up. Just thinking about cleaning the little pieces of charred meat and veggies out of all of those little squares gets me stressed.
:shock:
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:For your spinning kabobs.....look for the kabob cages they have now for using on your grills.

What keeps me from buying/using the cages is the clean-up. Just thinking about cleaning the little pieces of charred meat and veggies out of all of those little squares gets me stressed.
:shock:

I had one once. It's disappeared and I have no idea where it went and I guess I didn't love it enough because in all this time I've never considered replacing it. Used to use it to grill shrimp, but HATED storing it. It ended up on a hook in the broom closet because it's shape just fit nowhere else without creating a logjam.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Those look great Jenise...can't wait to see how they work.

As for flat skewers...I've seen several places that do them. I know Alton Brown talked about them on one of his shows. They do exist...here is one website:

http://www.alacook.co.uk/item--Flat-Sid ... WER30.html

Haven't tried them, but don't do too many kabobs. I mostly use skewers to do shrimp, and I thread them on all through the shrimp so they do spin.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 am

Seems to me that cast iron would have a rust problem.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:18 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Seems to me that cast iron would have a rust problem.

Umm ... no black-iron skillets in your kitchen, then?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Seems to me that cast iron would have a rust problem.

-Paul W.

I'll keep 'em seasoned, no problem!