Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sometimes, this town sucks!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Sometimes, this town sucks!

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 20, 2008 5:38 pm

I was at our local food co-op today when I noticed some absolutely beautiful fresh morels sitting in the produce section. These babies were perfect - fresh, unblemished, fat. First ones I've seen here all year! For a millisecond or two, I was very excited.

And then my eyes drifted up to the price tag. $63/lb.

Sheesh.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Sometimes, this town sucks!

by Karen/NoCA » Tue May 20, 2008 7:14 pm

I don't know anything about fresh morels...are they heavy? How many would you need to use in a dish for you and your honey? I'd watch them and see if they sell. If not, talk to the produce guy and see if you can't convince him to drop the price before the stores looses on this product. I did that at Raley's once (can't even remember what it was) but I got it for a better price because it was on the edge of turning.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue May 20, 2008 7:15 pm

That's enough for gas to go to Berkeley Bowl and back. :evil:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue May 20, 2008 7:17 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I was at our local food co-op today when I noticed some absolutely beautiful fresh morels sitting in the produce section. These babies were perfect - fresh, unblemished, fat. First ones I've seen here all year! For a millisecond or two, I was very excited.

Sheesh.

Jeez, Mike. There really must be a morel drought on the Left Coast this year. Out here we could get them for half that price, though the season is mostly over at this point.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 20, 2008 7:56 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:I was at our local food co-op today when I noticed some absolutely beautiful fresh morels sitting in the produce section. These babies were perfect - fresh, unblemished, fat. First ones I've seen here all year! For a millisecond or two, I was very excited.

Sheesh.

Jeez, Mike. There really must be a morel drought on the Left Coast this year. Out here we could get them for half that price, though the season is mostly over at this point.

Mark Lipton

I don't know what's going on with them, but last year they ran closer to $22/lb. Very disappointing.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 pm

I'd just assume eat that hairball you are barfing in your avatar. Central Market doesn't even charge that much! Sheesh!

rwj
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue May 20, 2008 10:30 pm

I was at Cosentino's in San Jose last week and saw some beautiful morels just like you see them in the picture, and I was thinking in terms of splurging on veal tenderloin, and then I, too, saw the price.
<sigh> Back to hamburger.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue May 20, 2008 10:39 pm

Sheesh.

Mike,

I feel your pain and have noticed recently that a couple of items I love have been priced out of my price range. For example, I attended a dinner at a friend's house recently where a locally produced 12 year old cheddar was served. It was outstanding so I asked the guest that brought the cheese where I could purchase this cheddar. When I went to the store they mentioned to purchase a block for a Memorial Day party, my eyes bugged out when I noticed it was priced at $48.99/pound! For local Cheddar!
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 20, 2008 10:45 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:That's enough for gas to go to Berkeley Bowl and back. :evil:

Heck, that's enough to cover the gas and the parking ticket!

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Dave R wrote:

Sheesh.

Mike,

I feel your pain and have noticed recently that a couple of items I love have been priced out of my price range. For example, I attended a dinner at a friend's house recently where a locally produced 12 year old cheddar was served. It was outstanding so I asked the guest that brought the cheese where I could purchase this cheddar. When I went to the store they mentioned to purchase a block for a Memorial Day party, my eyes bugged out when I noticed it was priced at $48.99/pound! For local Cheddar!

Price issues aside, what is the texture of 12 year old cheddar? I've probably never had anything older than three.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed May 21, 2008 2:52 pm

Price issues aside, what is the texture of 12 year old cheddar? I've probably never had anything older than three.

The texture is rather granular; similar to a Parmigiano-Reggiano but a little more creamy. One of the people at the dinner told me the texture was the result of the cheese being aged in salt which draws moisture out of the cheese and leaves a granular texture. That person had a lot to drink though so I am a little bit suspect of what they said.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.