Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pâte

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Pâte

by Robert J. » Sat May 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Pâte of Lobster Roe and Wagyu Calf Liver with Essence of Blueberry and Thyme

15 Live Female Australian Lobsters
5 # Wagyu Calf Liver
23 Peruvian Pearl Onions
9 Baby Carrots, tops attached
750 ml. White Burgundy Wine, preferably Domaine Camu 2005 Premier Cru
81 Fresh Blueberries
47 Stems of Fresh Thyme
1 oz. 100-Year-Old Balsamic Vinegar
Himalayan Rose Salt Crystals
Pink Peppercorns

For the Lobster:

Remove the legs from the live lobsters and place them, still alive, on a sheet pan (you may need more than one pan). Place the pan in a cold oven, close the door, and turn the heat on to 200*. Slowly roast the lobsters until they are done, approximately 9 hours. When the lobsters are done separate the tails from the body and scoop out the roe from inside the body cavity and reserve. Discard tails. Remove the claws from the body and gently crack the shell so that you can remove the meat. Separate the small section of claw meat from the large section of claw meat. Reserve 3 of the small claw sections and discard the rest.

For the Liver:

Butterfly the liver(s), remove the veins and discard. Cut the liver so that it is in a square or several squares. Discard the scraps. When you have squared the liver dice it into¼ inch pieces. Heat a sauté pan over high heat and add the diced liver. Sauté until the fat is rendered being careful not to break the pieces of diced liver. With a slotted spoon remove the liver and reserve.

For the Vegetables:

Blanch the pearl onions in salted water (use the rose salt) and squeeze them out of their skins. Cut the onions in half and then cut them into a brunoise. Reserve.

Remove the tops from the baby carrots and discard. Peel the carrots and cut them into a brunoise. Reserve.

Reheat the fat in the pan and sauté the vegetables until they are slightly browned. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and put them into a chinois. Press the vegetables through the chinois to remove any liquid and fat. Reserve the liquid in one bowl and the vegetables in another.

Deglaze the pan with the bottle of wine and reduce to 1 Tbsp.

Add the reserved liquid and vegetables back into the pan and add ½ oz. of the balsamic vinegar. Cook over low heat for 19 minutes, stirring constantly. Press the vegetable through the chinois again, reserving any liquid (you should get about 1-2 tsp. If you get more just measure out 2 tsp. and discard the rest). Discard the vegetables.

For the Blueberries and Thyme:

Carefully peel the blueberries. Cut the peels into a julienne and then into a brunoise. Reserve the peels and push the flesh of the blueberries through the chinois, reserving any liquid. Discard the flesh and add the liquid to the reserved vegetable/balsamic liquid and the other ½ oz. of balsamic. Reduce this liquid to ½ tsp. Reserve.
For the Thyme:

Remove the leaves from the stems and separate each leaf. Julienne the leaves and reserve.

Assembly:

Purée the sautéed liver until smooth. While the liver is puréeing slowly add the ½ tsp. of reduced liquid and the reserved roe. Remove the purée to a small bowl and gently fold in the blueberry peels and thyme. Season with ½ tsp. + 1 small pinch of rose salt and 1/16 tsp. finely ground pink pepper corns. Spread the pate into 3 small ramekins and refrigerate for 3 days.

Remove the ramekins from refrigeration and allow to come to room temperature for at least 5 hours.

Cut the reserved lobster claw sections in to 5 equal pieces, on a large bias. Arrange the claw pieces on top of the pâte in a star pattern. At the tip of each piece of claw put one crystal of the rose salt. Split 3 of the pepper corns into 3 equal pieces and arrange them in the center of the star. Refrigerate for one more day. Before serving allow to rest at room temperature for 2 hours more.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: RCP: Pâte

by Bob Henrick » Sat May 10, 2008 10:03 pm

Robert J. wrote:Pâte of Lobster Roe and Wagyu Calf Liver with Essence of Blueberry and Thyme

5 # Wagyu Calf Liver
23 Peruvian Pearl Onions
81 Fresh Blueberries
47 Stems of Fresh Thyme
Pink Peppercorns

For the Lobster:

Remove the legs from the live lobsters and place them, still alive, on a sheet pan (you may need more than one pan). Place the pan in a cold oven, close the door, and turn the heat on to 200*. Slowly roast the lobsters until they are done, approximately 9 hours. When the lobsters are done separate the tails from the body and scoop out the roe from inside the body cavity and reserve. Discard tails. Remove the claws from the body and gently crack the shell so that you can remove the meat. Separate the small section of claw meat from the large section of claw meat. Reserve 3 of the small claw sections and discard the rest.

For the Liver:

Butterfly the liver(s), remove the veins and discard. Cut the liver so that it is in a square or several squares. Discard the scraps. When you have squared the liver dice it into¼ inch pieces. Heat a sauté pan over high heat and add the diced liver. Sauté until the fat is rendered being careful not to break the pieces of diced liver. With a slotted spoon remove the liver and reserve.

For the Vegetables:

Blanch the pearl onions in salted water (use the rose salt) and squeeze them out of their skins. Cut the onions in half and then cut them into a brunoise. Reserve.

Remove the tops from the baby carrots and discard. Peel the carrots and cut them into a brunoise. Reserve.

Reheat the fat in the pan and sauté the vegetables until they are slightly browned. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and put them into a chinois. Press the vegetables through the chinois to remove any liquid and fat. Reserve the liquid in one bowl and the vegetables in another.

Deglaze the pan with the bottle of wine and reduce to 1 Tbsp.

Add the reserved liquid and vegetables back into the pan and add ½ oz. of the balsamic vinegar. Cook over low heat for 19 minutes, stirring constantly. Press the vegetable through the chinois again, reserving any liquid (you should get about 1-2 tsp. If you get more just measure out 2 tsp. and discard the rest). Discard the vegetables.

For the Blueberries and Thyme:

Carefully peel the blueberries. Cut the peels into a julienne and then into a brunoise. Reserve the peels and push the flesh of the blueberries through the chinois, reserving any liquid. Discard the flesh and add the liquid to the reserved vegetable/balsamic liquid and the other ½ oz. of balsamic. Reduce this liquid to ½ tsp. Reserve.
For the Thyme:

Remove the leaves from the stems and separate each leaf. Julienne the leaves and reserve.

Assembly:

Purée the sautéed liver until smooth. While the liver is puréeing slowly add the ½ tsp. of reduced liquid and the reserved roe. Remove the purée to a small bowl and gently fold in the blueberry peels and thyme. Season with ½ tsp. + 1 small pinch of rose salt and 1/16 tsp. finely ground pink pepper corns. Spread the pate into 3 small ramekins and refrigerate for 3 days.

Remove the ramekins from refrigeration and allow to come to room temperature for at least 5 hours.

Cut the reserved lobster claw sections in to 5 equal pieces, on a large bias. Arrange the claw pieces on top of the pâte in a star pattern. At the tip of each piece of claw put one crystal of the rose salt. Split 3 of the pepper corns into 3 equal pieces and arrange them in the center of the star. Refrigerate for one more day. Before serving allow to rest at room temperature for 2 hours more.

rwj

This is WAY to much work Robert! Not to mention the PETA concerns regarding the slow cooking of the lobsters. I think it is time for me to do some 10 hour baby backs on my Kamado!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat May 10, 2008 10:27 pm

Robert J. wrote:Pâte of Lobster Roe and Wagyu Calf Liver with Essence of Blueberry and Thyme

5 # Wagyu Calf Liver
23 Peruvian Pearl Onions
81 Fresh Blueberries
47 Stems of Fresh Thyme
Pink Peppercorns
rwj

:lol: :lol: REALLY, Now!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You live in a far fancier neighborhood than mine. I'm with Bob. Going outside to fire up the Weber for a slab of baby backs.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat May 10, 2008 10:57 pm

Wow, that's some recipe, Cowboy ! Can you post a photo with it ? For posterity...

One thing - I don't like the Himalayan rock salt. It's pretty, but I find it lacks oomph. My husband has decided he doesn't like pink salt in general - doesn't like the after-taste (we have Himalayan and the Australian Murray River Salt).
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun May 11, 2008 10:06 am

Nice post Robert :lol:
I still reckon the recipt could use a little...refining to get it right :wink:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun May 11, 2008 11:00 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Nice post Robert :lol:
I still reckon the recipt could use a little...refining to get it right :wink:

Ditch the lobster eggs and the bait (liver is ALWAYS bait in my book), and the rest of it could be used to make something I would eat.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 11, 2008 3:14 pm

ROFL! I laughed so hard I scared the cats.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun May 11, 2008 3:33 pm

I knew that you would get it, Jenise. I really got a good laugh out of Bob's response. And to hear our Village Baker pontificate on the flavor virtues of salt was just priceless. Man, that was fun.

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun May 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Oh were you just taking the piss out of us all, Robert ? I'm sorry I afforded you my respect. Well, maybe I didn't, or I might have read the post a bit more carefully, and picked up the bit about splitting the peppercorns. ;)

But I really don't like Himalayan pink salt.

Note to self: lesson learnt re the Cowboy.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun May 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Robert J. wrote:I knew that you would get it, Jenise. I really got a good laugh out of Bob's response. And to hear our Village Baker pontificate on the flavor virtues of salt was just priceless. Man, that was fun.

rwj

I knew it wasn't serious, but I didn't get the kick out of it that Jenise did. What part did I miss?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun May 11, 2008 4:50 pm

I wish it was a real dish. I love lobster, roe and liver, I'd have eaten a pate of that combo on brioche.. ;)
Last edited by Celia on Sun May 11, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Robert J. wrote:I knew that you would get it, Jenise. I really got a good laugh out of Bob's response. And to hear our Village Baker pontificate on the flavor virtues of salt was just priceless. Man, that was fun.

rwj

Surely they didn't read much past the ingredient list, just as surely as you don't mean to sound cruel?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun May 11, 2008 5:36 pm

Come on folks, it's all in good fun.

The whole gag was based on an inside joke in our kitchen at work. We tend to make up these fanciful, extreme recipes whenever we get chefs in that actually make us do stuff like that. We recently hosted a chef that caused us three days of intense pre-prep, ingredients into the thousand dollar range, and a whole lot of wasted food for a tiny little plate. The food cost on his class must have come to about $45/head on a $70 class. We lose money on stuff like that so fanciful recipes like the one I posted have become a kind of running joke for us.

Celia and Jo Ann, you must have missed the part about cutting thyme leaves into a julienne, or estimating what the ingredients would have cost for three little terrines of pâté, or the colossal amount of waste, or peeling blueberries and cutting the skins into a brunoise, or...well, you get the idea. Go back and read it again and you may actually laugh this thyme. :wink:

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 11, 2008 6:36 pm

Robert J. wrote:Come on folks, it's all in good fun.

The whole gag was based on an inside joke in our kitchen at work. We tend to make up these fanciful, extreme recipes whenever we get chefs in that actually make us do stuff like that. We recently hosted a chef that caused us three days of intense pre-prep, ingredients into the thousand dollar range, and a whole lot of wasted food for a tiny little plate. The food cost on his class must have come to about $45/head on a $70 class. We lose money on stuff like that so fanciful recipes like the one I posted have become a kind of running joke for us.

Celia and Jo Ann, you must have missed the part about cutting thyme leaves into a julienne, or estimating what the ingredients would have cost for three little terrines of pâté, or the colossal amount of waste, or peeling blueberries and cutting the skins into a brunoise, or...well, you get the idea. Go back and read it again and you may actually laugh this thyme. :wink:

rwj

I thought it was fun--my suspicions were aroused by the time I got to "81 blueberries". That attacks something that often makes me just howl, like a recipe I got from someone long ago for a rice salad. It made a very large quantity, and it called for 9 olives. Nine. Not 1/4 c. sliced, or half a jar or "a small handfull" or rounding up to ten, quantities that would have made sense. No, 9. Like 8 wouldn't be enough but 10 would be too many.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun May 11, 2008 7:46 pm

I used to share a "special family recipe" with my customers for my grandmother's stuffed lentils - it called for pureeing the stuffing ingredients and injecting them with a hypodermic needle.

More than one person asked, "where do you get the needles?"
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Jenise wrote:I thought it was fun--my suspicions were aroused by the time I got to "81 blueberries". That attacks something that often makes me just howl, like a recipe I got from someone long ago for a rice salad. It made a very large quantity, and it called for 9 olives. Nine. Not 1/4 c. sliced, or half a jar or "a small handfull" or rounding up to ten, quantities that would have made sense. No, 9. Like 8 wouldn't be enough but 10 would be too many.

Geez, I thought it was just Jenise working on her entry in the Terrine 5 event later this summer...... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun May 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Dammit, Cowboy, even though you were just being an arse, now all I can think about is eating liver pate..

I'm going to have to go and get some for lunch..

:lol:

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sun May 11, 2008 10:11 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
I got suspicious at the 5 lb wagyu livers. I went to read the comments. Now I"ve gone back to read the whole thing. Peel the blueberried, slice into a julienne....reduce to 1/2 tsp ....I think I hurt myself laughing so hard.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun May 11, 2008 11:24 pm

Howard wrote:hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
I got suspicious at the 5 lb wagyu livers...
The claws on the Australian lobster after being roasted for 9 hours gave it away for me.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 12, 2008 12:37 pm

I knew it was a fake when you failed to mention which vineyard the Premier Cru Burgundy should be from.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon May 12, 2008 3:05 pm

What?! No white truffles? I am horrified! And I have my prize pig all set and ready to take our trip to the Italian Countryside to forage for some for this recipe.

Btw, you had me at "Wagyu Liver" :wink:
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon May 12, 2008 4:47 pm

Howard wrote:hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
I got suspicious at the 5 lb wagyu livers. I went to read the comments. Now I"ve gone back to read the whole thing. Peel the blueberried, slice into a julienne....reduce to 1/2 tsp ....I think I hurt myself laughing so hard.

8)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon May 12, 2008 9:17 pm

You forgot the beans. Oh yeah, I suppose real pate doesn't have beans either. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue May 13, 2008 7:47 am

Howie Hart wrote:You forgot the beans. Oh yeah, I suppose real pate doesn't have beans either. :wink:

I think you have a very valid point here, Howie.

rwj