Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone else have the bread & butter pickle jones?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Anyone else have the bread & butter pickle jones?

by Celia » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:57 pm

Yeah, pull the other leg, matey. I know you can cook.. ;)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:21 am

Howie Hart wrote: But I think my favorite sweet pickle is watermelon pickles. My mother used to make them and they were a real treat.

Amen Howie they are great. We have a small country 'cafe/bakery/farm' near us that makes and sells watermelon pickles. Cant get enough of them !!
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:34 pm

I never have cared for sweet pickles of any kind. Give me kosher dills or a hot mix, and I'm happy.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:59 am

Jenise wrote:For all that I don't eat sweets that much, I've almost never met a sweet pickle I didn't like and I'm particularly enamored with the version called bread and butter pickles. The best I ever had were something we'd get one precious jar of a year when I was a kid, it was from Knotts Berry Farm and would come with an assortment of syrups and jams my father would get from a client for Christmas. They were bright yellow from turmeric and had lots of onions swimming among the cucumbers, and were spicier/better than any of the store-bought brands though I certainly didn't turn my nose up at those.

Sweet pickles are to me what candy and chocolate are to others. It's the sweet food I can't resist, the food that's not safe around me, the thing I must occasionally gorge on. They're vegetable crack. Two or three times a year, though Mrs. Knott's pickles have long since left the planet, I break down and buy a jar of a commercial brand. Fannings (or is it Mrs. Fannings) is the better of what's available in my area. I'll finish a pint jar in a day, a half gallon in a week.

So last week when I was at Trader Joe's and saw that they have their own brand of bread and butter pickles I, of course, couldn't help myself. And these are GOOD!!!! Probably the best since the Knotts Berry Farm days. Less sweet than the commercial brands but just sweet enough, very spicy, with some onions in the jar, and quite crunchy. No turmeric, but no yellow dye pretending to the look either. Really, really delicious. I've almost killed the entire jar already and when I go into town today, I'll buy another. Heck, maybe two. Don't want to run out.

Anyway, if there are any other sweet pickle fiends among this crowd, and you've not discovered yet the wonder of the Trader Joe's bread and butter pickle, I can't reccomend these highly enough.

You dont like Bubblies ?
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:23 am

I am indeed a real fan of bread 'n buttah pickles, too, but for some odd reason they are all tasting too sweet lately ... even those from TJ's. I get I'm just in a phase.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:14 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:You dont like Bubblies ?

Or is it Bubbies? No, actually, I don't. I especially don't like their kosher pickles, which at a store I used to shop in So Cal replaced a kosher brand I did like and could occasionally get jars of still-bright-green new pickles from occasionally. I never forgave them!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I've never met a sweet pickle that I liked. Give me kosher dill or hot any time, and I'll be happy.

Robert, have you ever had a mustard pickle? My mom made them and they (if like hers) are worth going to war for.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:I've never met a sweet pickle that I liked. Give me kosher dill or hot any time, and I'll be happy.

Robert, have you ever had a mustard pickle? My mom made them and they (if like hers) are worth going to war for.

I used to get Senfgurken or mustard pickles in Germany. They were always peeled and marinated in cider vinegar, mustard seed, horse radish, a little sugar and some other stuff. They were out of this world. Same stuff, Bob?
And now what?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:42 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:I used to get Senfgurken or mustard pickles in Germany. They were always peeled and marinated in cider vinegar, mustard seed, horse radish, a little sugar and some other stuff. They were out of this world. Same stuff, Bob?

Gary, IIRC my Mom used prepared mustard in her mustard pickles. I believe she did use some grated horseradish too. We always grew a patch of it. Dad was full blood German and could hardly have lived without horseradish.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:I used to get Senfgurken or mustard pickles in Germany. They were always peeled and marinated in cider vinegar, mustard seed, horse radish, a little sugar and some other stuff. They were out of this world. Same stuff, Bob?

Gary, IIRC my Mom used prepared mustard in her mustard pickles. I believe she did use some grated horseradish too. We always grew a patch of it. Dad was full blood German and could hardly have lived without horseradish.

I'm full blood Italian and can't live without horseradish either.
And now what?
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:01 pm

Jenise wrote:
Dave R wrote:You aren't pregnant, are you? :shock:

Hee hee!

Jenise, that sounds like you're not even trying!!! :roll:
Cheers!
Mike
Previous