Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone else have the bread & butter pickle jones?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anyone else have the bread & butter pickle jones?

by Jenise » Sat May 10, 2008 10:44 am

For all that I don't eat sweets that much, I've almost never met a sweet pickle I didn't like and I'm particularly enamored with the version called bread and butter pickles. The best I ever had were something we'd get one precious jar of a year when I was a kid, it was from Knotts Berry Farm and would come with an assortment of syrups and jams my father would get from a client for Christmas. They were bright yellow from turmeric and had lots of onions swimming among the cucumbers, and were spicier/better than any of the store-bought brands though I certainly didn't turn my nose up at those.

Sweet pickles are to me what candy and chocolate are to others. It's the sweet food I can't resist, the food that's not safe around me, the thing I must occasionally gorge on. They're vegetable crack. Two or three times a year, though Mrs. Knott's pickles have long since left the planet, I break down and buy a jar of a commercial brand. Fannings (or is it Mrs. Fannings) is the better of what's available in my area. I'll finish a pint jar in a day, a half gallon in a week.

So last week when I was at Trader Joe's and saw that they have their own brand of bread and butter pickles I, of course, couldn't help myself. And these are GOOD!!!! Probably the best since the Knotts Berry Farm days. Less sweet than the commercial brands but just sweet enough, very spicy, with some onions in the jar, and quite crunchy. No turmeric, but no yellow dye pretending to the look either. Really, really delicious. I've almost killed the entire jar already and when I go into town today, I'll buy another. Heck, maybe two. Don't want to run out.

Anyway, if there are any other sweet pickle fiends among this crowd, and you've not discovered yet the wonder of the Trader Joe's bread and butter pickle, I can't reccomend these highly enough.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Anyone else have the bread & butter pickle jones?

by Dave R » Sat May 10, 2008 11:29 am

You aren't pregnant, are you? :shock:
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 10, 2008 11:42 am

Dave R wrote:You aren't pregnant, are you? :shock:

Hee hee!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat May 10, 2008 1:56 pm

I've never met a sweet pickle that I liked. Give me kosher dill or hot any time, and I'll be happy.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat May 10, 2008 2:58 pm

I actually like bread & butter pickles, but only on a burger. I also prefer dills - spears on a hot dog or dill relish in tartar sauce. But I think my favorite sweet pickle is watermelon pickles. My mother used to make them and they were a real treat.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 10, 2008 3:31 pm

My husband loves bread and butter pickles. His mom made the best! I made them for years but my canning days ended when the kids left for college. I have not found a commercial brand that compares to his mom's recipe. Next time I get to Trader Joe's, I will give them a try.
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Sat May 10, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi Jenise:

I was going to tell you to try Strub's Bread & Butter Pickles the next time you were shopping in Canada. But, in the process of checking their website to see if they were distributed on the west coast, found out we're probably talking about the same pickles.

According to their website, they seem to be the producers of the Trader Joe's store brand refrigerated pickles.

Round about way of saying, yes, very good pickles. If you're in Canada try other items from the Strub's line, in particular their sauerkraut is excellent.

http://www.strubpickles.com/
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat May 10, 2008 9:46 pm

Jenise wrote:For all that I don't eat sweets that much, I've almost never met a sweet pickle I didn't like and I'm particularly enamored with the version called bread and butter pickles. The best I ever had were something we'd get one precious jar of a year when I was a kid, it was from Knotts Berry Farm and would come with an assortment of syrups and jams my father would get from a client for Christmas. They were bright yellow from turmeric and had lots of onions swimming among the cucumbers, and were spicier/better than any of the store-bought brands though I certainly didn't turn my nose up at those.

Sweet pickles are to me what candy and chocolate are to others. It's the sweet food I can't resist, the food that's not safe around me, the thing I must occasionally gorge on. They're vegetable crack. Two or three times a year, though Mrs. Knott's pickles have long since left the planet, I break down and buy a jar of a commercial brand. Fannings (or is it Mrs. Fannings) is the better of what's available in my area. I'll finish a pint jar in a day, a half gallon in a week.

So last week when I was at Trader Joe's and saw that they have their own brand of bread and butter pickles I, of course, couldn't help myself. And these are GOOD!!!! Probably the best since the Knotts Berry Farm days. Less sweet than the commercial brands but just sweet enough, very spicy, with some onions in the jar, and quite crunchy. No turmeric, but no yellow dye pretending to the look either. Really, really delicious. I've almost killed the entire jar already and when I go into town today, I'll buy another. Heck, maybe two. Don't want to run out.

Anyway, if there are any other sweet pickle fiends among this crowd, and you've not discovered yet the wonder of the Trader Joe's bread and butter pickle, I can't reccomend these highly enough.

Bread and butter pickles. They "ain't" sweet, and they "ain't" sour, but they sure are good. My Mom made them by the 5 gallon ceramic crock too. She also made sweet pickles, dill pickles, mustard pickles, sweet and hot pickles, dill pickle relish, sweet pickle relish Hot pickle relish, and maybe some more that I can't remember. Growing up on a farm was work, but it was fun too. BTW, take for example the dill pickles, they always had dill weed in the jar. sweet and sweet and hot had the pickling spice in the jar. mustard pickle juice could be stirred to mix the mustard with the juice. None of that ersatz stuff for My Mom! And I nearly forgot, dill pickle juice was routinely mixed with cold brown beans for a snack with home made bread hot from the oven.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat May 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Love love love the Bread and Butter Pickle...appeals to one of my favorite taste sensations, salty sweet...

Mm. I'm jonesing now...
b
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun May 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Me too.....I wonder if Strub's sells to the consumer. I saw no indication of it on their website. I'd like to try their sauerkraut , as well.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun May 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Funny you should mention.....just went to the first "Brat Fry" of the season yesterday. B&B pickles are
not traditional brat accompaniments- usually a dilled type- but there was this large bowl
of B&B pickles on the condiment table. I forgot how much I do like them but only if thery are not overly
sweet. Will try the TJ's when I get there next.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 11, 2008 3:03 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I've never met a sweet pickle that I liked. Give me kosher dill or hot any time, and I'll be happy.

Well, they're great too! But a sweet pickle, well, that's just something special. Like Barb says, salty-sweet....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 11, 2008 3:08 pm

Leslie D. wrote:Hi Jenise:

I was going to tell you to try Strub's Bread & Butter Pickles the next time you were shopping in Canada. But, in the process of checking their website to see if they were distributed on the west coast, found out we're probably talking about the same pickles.

According to their website, they seem to be the producers of the Trader Joe's store brand refrigerated pickles.

Round about way of saying, yes, very good pickles. If you're in Canada try other items from the Strub's line, in particular their sauerkraut is excellent.

http://www.strubpickles.com/

Leslie, we see far too little of you! Thanks for the tip on the Strubs products and the sauerkraut, like I told Robert Reynolds I love all pickled food and sauerkraut is definitely dear to my heart. I'll be on the lookout next time I'm up there.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sun May 11, 2008 10:01 pm

Ok, Odd food combination time:
My mom introduced me to tuna sandwich with bread and butter pickles. Can't eat tuna sandwich without them now. The only ones she ever made, however were spicy dill pickles.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Howard wrote:Ok, Odd food combination time:
My mom introduced me to tuna sandwich with bread and butter pickles. Can't eat tuna sandwich without them now. The only ones she ever made, however were spicy dill pickles.

Probably more common than you think. Traci and I both like sweet pickle relish, which is more or less the same idea, in our tuna sandwiches. Never thought of adding whole pickle slices, but now that you mention it, why not? Must try--another excuse to eat Trader Joe's pickles!
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon May 12, 2008 11:22 pm

I do the tuna salad with pickles, too...mmmm.

b
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 13, 2008 12:07 am

Sweet pickles? Gak.

Pickles are supposed to be sour and briny and garlicky, with the ccasional crunch of a coriander seed.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Tue May 13, 2008 7:08 am

Thread drift here, but I loved peanut butter, pickles and honey sandwiches as a kid. they had to be crunchy dill pickles, too.

Mmmm. Childhood flavors.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue May 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Thread drift here, but I loved peanut butter, pickles and honey sandwiches as a kid. they had to be crunchy dill pickles, too.

Mmmm. Childhood flavors.

Take a slice of Kraft faux-cheese, smear it with peanut butter, wrap it around a crunchy kosher dill, and enjoy! 8)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed May 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Can’t go the sweet pickle route…but, for real tasty match try a dill pickle with some good cheddar…yummm

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 am

Howie Hart wrote:I actually like bread & butter pickles, but only on a burger. I also prefer dills - spears on a hot dog or dill relish in tartar sauce. But I think my favorite sweet pickle is watermelon pickles. My mother used to make them and they were a real treat.

I like any kind of pickle. Your watermelon pickle mention reminded me that I haven't one of those for years. I also used to make them. Maybe next time I buy a watermelon.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Anyway, if there are any other sweet pickle fiends among this crowd, and you've not discovered yet the wonder of the Trader Joe's bread and butter pickle, I can't reccomend these highly enough.

Jenise,

Based upon your recommendation I picked up a jar this week. They are excellent and I was glad to see they are sold in the refrigerated section (a good sign). Tomorrow night, before dinner, I am going to have a blind bread and butter pickle tasting with my girlfriend and two couples that are coming for dinner and also love all types of pickles. It will be Brenner's, versus Milwaukee's versus Trader Joe's brands. I hope I like TJ's the best because I think they are the least expensive of the three favorites.

Thanks for the recommendation.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:03 pm

A blind pickle tasting, Dave? Usually by the time I'm blind, I'm pretty pickled as well. ;) (both colloquialisms for "drunk" here)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:17 pm

celia wrote:A blind pickle tasting, Dave? Usually by the time I'm blind, I'm pretty pickled as well. ;) (both colloquialisms for "drunk" here)

:lol: Well, if my guests must be subjected to my cooking I hope they will be both blind and pickled by the time the food hits their plates.
Next