Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Who sharpens your knives? Do you keep them sharp?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Who sharpens your knives? Do you keep them sharp?

by Larry Greenly » Fri May 09, 2008 9:17 am

I'm glad to see other people feel the same way as I do about my most-used knife, my cleaver. I sharpen my knives myself. And I know the trick for judging sharpness by eyeballing the cutting edge.
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri May 09, 2008 9:20 am

Paul most people look at me like I'm crazy for using a Chinese Cleaver. I have never had a problem with anyone wanting to use it. I bought a friend of mine a Chinese Cleaver who was getting into cooking Chinese food and he loves it.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 pm

David Cooper wrote:I sharpen my own knives with a wet stone. I learned the skill in cooking school and have continued to do it ever since. It's not that hard actually. My knives have never been touched by machine since I have owned them. I have Wusthof and Sabatiers.

I'm with David, but I'm not very good at it. I have a knife given to me by a Japanese friend I met 2 years ago. It was the sharpest blade I've ever used -- and I instantly fell in love. She sharpened it for me again when she was here last year. It took her 30 minutes to get that Samurai sabre edge. But, it stayed that way for about 6 months. She'll be back in August and I've got all my knives lined up. :P :P :P
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:33 pm

I sharpen my own and use a steel on them each time i use them. -RP
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:41 pm

I bought two ceramic knife sharpening blocks this week. I sharpened 4 knives using them and, for a first attempt, I am happy with the results.

G
Previous