Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

MAY CHALLENGE: The Splendid Table Stumps the Cooks!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

MAY CHALLENGE: The Splendid Table Stumps the Cooks!

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:37 pm

I had a Spendid interview yesterday with Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift, authors of the new book The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper. We chatted for over an hour, at the end of which I asked Lynne for the 5 ingredients she would list for our forum members as a cooking challenge. This is what she had to say:

"You don't have to use all the quantities of all the ingredients. But, use the following to create your recipe:
1 can of chick peas (no qty given)
4 oz of 70% bittersweet chocolate
1 can chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/2 C brown sugar
1 lb pork belly
and a bonus ingredient
1 head of curly endive

In this challenge you are allowed to use salt, pepper, water, one member of the onion family and fat (of any sort) and you will still be cooking inside the parameters of the ingredients given".

Lynne and Sally were absolutely giddy by the time she finished listing the ingredients, and Lynne said "I wish I could be there to see what happens." I told her I would email her the link to the posting so that she could see all the results. She is waiting with bated breath! 8) They will be traveling for awhile during the book tour. But, so that this is not an open ended event -- all participant dishes and pictures need to be posted by my 60th b'day -- Friday, May 30th.

Okay, everybody, you're on.......
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: The Splendid Table Stumps the Cooks!

by Bernard Roth » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:05 pm

The pork belly leaves me out.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:The pork belly leaves me out.

My thoughts exactly, Bernard! :(
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I had a Spendid interview yesterday with Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift, authors of the new book The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper. We chatted for over an hour, at the end of which I asked Lynne for the 5 ingredients she would list for our forum members as a cooking challenge. This is what she had to say:

"You don't have to use all the quantities of all the ingredients. But, use the following to create your recipe:
1 can of chick peas (no qty given)
4 oz of 70% bittersweet chocolate
1 can chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/2 C brown sugar
1 lb pork belly
and a bonus ingredient
1 head of curly endive

in this challenge you are allowed to use salt, pepper, water, one member of the onion family and fat (of any sort) and you will still be cooking inside the parameters of the ingredients given".

Lynne and Sally were absolutely giddy by the time she finished listing the ingredients, and Lynne said "I wish I could be there to see what happens." I told her I would email her the link to the posting so that she could see all the results. She is waiting with bated breath! 8) They will be traveling for awhile during the book tour. But, so that this is not an open ended event -- all participant dishes and pictures need to be posted by my 60th b'day -- Friday, May 30th.

Okay, everybody, you're on.......

These are the kinds of lists that were provided us when we used do the ready-set-cook thing for the SuperChefs series. Only difference - we had 15 minutes to prepare a complete meal.

With the above? Pork Belly Carnitas with Shredded Endive on top.

Done!
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 am

Interesting. The chocolate-chipotle-pork says mole, with the brown sugar maybe adding to it, but the chickpeas and endive throw a bit of a curve into that. Not fatally, as Chef Carey has indicated, but have to think about this....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:31 am

Pork belly is tripe, right? When I was 19, and living at home, there was a local greasy spoon next to where I worked. Once a week I would go there and get a large cup of chili that was made with tripe. At that time I had no clue as to what it was. That chili was delicious. I do remember some of the staff wrinkling up their noses at my chili and wondering how I could eat it.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Pork belly is tripe, right? When I was 19, and living at home, there was a local greasy spoon next to where I worked. Once a week I would go there and get a large cup of chili that was made with tripe. At that time I had no clue as to what it was. That chili was delicious. I do remember some of the staff wrinkling up their noses at my chili and wondering how I could eat it.

No, pork belly is unsmoked bacon.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:14 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:No, pork belly is unsmoked bacon.
Mark Lipton

Correct!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:No, pork belly is unsmoked bacon.
Mark Lipton

Correct!

And, also for Karen, tripe is stomach lining.

Oh, this is fantastic. We used to do a series here we called SiliChef, where we'd have to make a meal out of a set of ingredients. Which begs the question, and I presume the answer's yes, all these ingredients have to be in ONE dish, not several courses of one meal, right?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:24 pm

Is this because you keep kosher (if you do)? If so, is there a substitute you would work with, like a beef short rib?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Is this truly another challenge. If so, count me in! After the first reading I already have my recipe in mind. Are we on? Jo Ann? Jenise?

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Robert J. wrote:Is this truly another challenge. If so, count me in! After the first reading I already have my recipe in mind. Are we on? Jo Ann? Jenise?

rwj

Truly another challenge. And I'm IN, for sure! And so are you, by royal order: you're too creative and too much fun to be left behind. :)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:24 pm

In it to win it!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: MAY CHALLENGE: The Splendid Table Stumps the Cooks!

by Jenise » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Jo Ann: I've just added "May Challenge" to your subject title and did a little sysop magic to keep this thread from getting buried over the next month.

And another clarification, please: is the bonus ingredient the endive (as I presume), or a free ingredient of the cook's choosing?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Jenise wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Is this truly another challenge. If so, count me in! After the first reading I already have my recipe in mind. Are we on? Jo Ann? Jenise?

rwj

Truly another challenge. And I'm IN, for sure! And so are you, by royal order": you're too creative and too much fun to be left behind. :)

Fu**ing A, babe! Let's rock again!

rwj
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu May 01, 2008 12:33 am

Jenise wrote:And another clarification, please: is the bonus ingredient the endive (as I presume), or a free ingredient of the cook's choosing?

The endive.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 01, 2008 4:50 pm

More clarification, just to be certain:

in this challenge you are allowed to use salt, pepper, water, one member of the onion family and fat (of any sort) and you will still be cooking inside the parameters of the ingredients given"

So that means no flour, eggs, herbs or anything else from the pantry, right?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu May 01, 2008 7:31 pm

Jenise wrote:More clarification, just to be certain:

in this challenge you are allowed to use salt, pepper, water, one member of the onion family and fat (of any sort) and you will still be cooking inside the parameters of the ingredients given"

So that means no flour, eggs, herbs or anything else from the pantry, right?

Right!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 02, 2008 11:03 am

Damn, this is tough. Nearly every idea I have needs just one more ingredient. But I'll come up with something!
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri May 02, 2008 11:46 am

I'm in!

Jo Ann, could I have heard that on NPR in So Florida??? I heard Lynn and Sally being interviewed...

b
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 02, 2008 12:26 pm

Barb Freda wrote:I'm in!

Jo Ann, could I have heard that on NPR in So Florida??? I heard Lynn and Sally being interviewed...

b

Probably a local NPR affiliate.
no avatar
User

TomE

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon May 15, 2006 9:41 am

Lakewood, OH

by TomE » Mon May 05, 2008 2:40 pm

Barb Freda wrote:I'm in!

b

Diane Rehm interviewed them. If anyone's interested in that interview you can probably get a podcast at WAMU.org
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Mon May 05, 2008 10:58 pm

Jenise wrote:

Is this because you keep kosher (if you do)? If so, is there a substitute you would work with, like a beef short rib?

In a sense. I do not eat pork products or shellfish.
So I would not know a good substitute. Nevertheless, I'm out of action for the next couple weeks. Knee surgery.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue May 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Bernard Roth wrote: Nevertheless, I'm out of action for the next couple weeks. Knee surgery.

Ouch! I hope you have a speedy recovery, Bernard.
Next