Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Post Your Food Photos !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Post Your Food Photos !

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Randy P wrote:I was kind of wondering that too. I use an Airbake pan, roll out my dough to roughly the shape of Texas, then put it on the pan and work it with my fingers until it fits the round pan. -RP

Stuart has talked about doing this, but I don't think he rolls it out first. (I could be wrong though.) But I once accused him of cheating when he described using a pan that way. He is not at all bothered by my accusation! 8)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 30, 2008 7:45 pm

Yeah, pretty much what Randy says. I don't roll it, but I put some parchment in the pan, use a very wet dough, and spread it into shape with my fingers. Then I can slide the parchment with dough on it onto a peel.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:59 pm

I tried a new bread formula and this is how it turned out. I can't wait to see how it tastes.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:01 pm

That is beautiful, Duane!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:37 pm

Sheppard's pie 010.JPG

How unappetizing is this?? C'mon, you can be honest.
I made this Shepherd's Pie last night. I thought it looked really good, lots of color, yum. My husband said although it tasted wonderful, it wasn't the most appetizing looking dish. I may be in agreement with him now, looking at the photo of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:44 pm

Looks mighty tasty to me... and doesn't look like poop...
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:12 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Sheppard's pie 010.JPG

I made this Shepherd's Pie last night. I thought it looked really good, lots of color, yum. My husband said although it tasted wonderful, it wasn't the most appetizing looking dish. I may be in agreement with him now, looking at the photo of it.

Hi Carrie,

My old eyes think it looks great. Nice job.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Looks mighty tasty to me... and doesn't look like poop...

No, it looks like barf.

rwj
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:41 pm

Looks like the typical layered casserole dish.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:30 am

Like I said...barf. That doesn't mean it's not tasty. I love casserole dishes. They just look like barf.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Robert J. wrote:No, it looks like barf.

If you're barfing in Technicolor like that, I'd like to know what you're eating that makes you do it. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Sheppard's pie 010.JPG

Carrie, I love Shepherd's Pie, so I've never seen an ugly one. I'd take yours, and ask for a second helping! But the way to make a great presentation out of Shepherd's Pie is to make it, bake it, chill it, cut it into squares, and then recook the individual squares, perhaps with extra cheese if you're doing a cheese topping so that there's some lava flow. Otherwise, it's what you show here, and since your peas are bright green you even get extra points.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:03 pm

Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:
Sheppard's pie 010.JPG

Carrie, I love Shepherd's Pie, so I've never seen an ugly one. I'd take yours, and ask for a second helping! But the way to make a great presentation out of Shepherd's Pie is to make it, bake it, chill it, cut it into squares, and then recook the individual squares, perhaps with extra cheese if you're doing a cheese topping so that there's some lava flow. Otherwise, it's what you show here, and since your peas are bright green you even get extra points.

You are sweet. It's all I can do, though, to resist the temptation of photographing the split pea soup I made this afternoon to show Robert! I'll spare everyone and only post pretty pictures from now on.

By the way, I like your suggestion of cutting it into squares. I never would have thought of that. Mine was a decidedly low-brow dinner, and I'm fine with that for times when I'm trying to throw something tasty together to feed my perpetually hungry husband. I promise there was no cream of mushroom soup in there though. Those are fresh shitakes. Do I get extra points for those too? :wink:
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Carrie L. wrote:By the way, I like your suggestion of cutting it into squares. I never would have thought of that. Mine was a decidedly low-brow dinner, and I'm fine with that for times when I'm trying to throw something tasty together to feed my perpetually hungry husband. I promise there was no cream of mushroom soup in there though. Those are fresh shitakes. Do I get extra points for those too? :wink:

You know what? I don't think a homemade Shepherds Pie is low-brow at all. Comfort food? Yes. But "low-brow", to my mind, is food that uses common ingredients in a common way. If you'd made your meat mixture out of Hamburger Helper and topped with instant mashed, now that would be low-brow. But just because it's a one-dish kind of meal for two? No. And yes, extra points for the fresh shitakes. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:55 am

Tonight's summer rolls.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:59 am

Gosh Cynthia...they look so good!! I love summer rolls!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:14 pm

I've been tempering chocolate today. Here is a photo of my hazelnut truffles and blobs of dark Callebaut chocolate with roasted cacao nibs stirred through.

chocs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

Re: The Food Photo Gallery

by Celia » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Updated pics of my homemade vanilla extract :

vanilla.jpg
Photo taken day 1 (Apr 7th).

vanilla140608.jpg
Photo taken today (June 14th).
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 pm

celia wrote:I've been tempering chocolate today. Here is a photo of my hazelnut truffles and blobs of dark Callebaut chocolate with roasted cacao nibs stirred through.

chocs.jpg

How much should I send you for postage to Oklahoma for a tin of those? A couple of pounds or so should be sufficient. :D
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:14 pm

celia wrote:I've been tempering chocolate today. Here is a photo of my hazelnut truffles and blobs of dark Callebaut chocolate with roasted cacao nibs stirred through.

I think you are tempting us with your chocolate. :)
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:45 pm

The roasted nibs (crushed and roasted cacao/cocoa beans) are sublime - the end result is something between a chocolate coffee bean and chocolate coated slivered almonds. I keep telling myself they're good for me. :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:12 am

Hi, I'm Patti. I'm new here.

Your food all looks amazing! Those breads had my mouth watering.

I was going to post a picture of my dinner, but apparently my photos are too big. So...if I ever figure out how to resize them, I shall post them. Until then, I'll read on and drool.

Patti
Patti
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:45 am

Celia, you've not been around much. You are missed. And yes, you have permission to box up those chocolates and send them to me. :mrgreen:

Patti, if you can't figure it out, pm me. The more, the merrier!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:26 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Celia, you've not been around much. You are missed. And yes, you have permission to box up those chocolates and send them to me. :mrgreen:

Sigh. Life has been getting in the way. Good to see you've all been well, though. :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
PreviousNext