Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Post Your Food Photos !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Post Your Food Photos !

by Celia » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Robin recently told me that this new forum is Web 2.0, which means it has lots of room for photos, video clips etc. I thought it might be nice to start a thread similar to Cynthia's Life in Pictures one, only based around food, where we could post food photos ? Sometimes it's fun to take pretty pictures, but too laborious to have to write up a recipe, so if that's the case, post your pictures here. Grab your cameras, friends, and show us what's happening in your kitchens ! :D

bread.jpg

cookies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Celia on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

Re: The Food Photo Gallery

by Celia » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm starting an experiment in making my own vanilla extract. I've put a split Tahitian vanilla bean into 125ml (half a cup) of vodka. This picture is day 1.

vanilla.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Celie, post the recipe for those cookies, please! I can see them at our next holiday family gathering. :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Robert, it's just a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe, but instead of 2 cups of choc chips, I used 2 cups made up of a mix of dark choc bits, dried cranberries and chopped up dried persian figs, which I'd rehydrated in Chivas Regal (as you do :)).

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Post Your Food Photos !

by John Tomasso » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:03 am

Celia, I love this idea.
These were samples of a new line of beef my company is carrying, which I was assigned to try last night.

Vintage Beef:

steak.jpg
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:00 am

Nice idea Celia. A few recent dishes:

Ma Po Doufu

Lemon sole, Aussie mountain pepper spice, carrot, parsley butter, garlic chips
&
Halibut, quatre épices rub, Port-poached figs

I call it "Pepper, pita, feta" (stuffed peppers, deep fried pita, feta sorbet) - a good vegetarian dish combo for red wine if the acidity is high enough in the stuffing.

Celia, I'm interested to know what kind of flour(s) you're using for your sourdough? I've been trying to get a similar open-texture to yours (I'm aiming for a pain de campagne kind of texture) but not really managing it (been blending flours to obtain different protein and gluten contents).
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Dinner:

Dessert:

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Gorgeous photos ! John, how old is "vintage" steak ? I've always been told we eat our steak far to young, and the best meat has been "hung" by butchers to age before cutting.

Ben, wow, do you eat like that all the time ? :) Re the sourdough, I just used standard white bread flour, with a little (less than a tsp) of ground malt added. I think that providing you use a high protein bread flour, getting holes in the loaf is less about the flour, and more about the handling and hydration of the dough. You won't get holes unless the dough is quite wet (my recipe is about 75% hydration). In this case, the dough was wetter than usual (this batch of flour just seems to be coming out like that), and the holes were bigger than I normally get. The other thing is handling - a lot of current thinking is that the dough should be handled gently and folded at intervals to achieve that open texture. In this case though, I made the dough up and let it rise overnight, so the holes were very much a product of the starter and the long rise.

If you can get hold of Dan Lepard's book The Handmade Loaf (he's a UK baker), it's very instructive, particularly on sourdoughs. Also, some info here and here. (Oh, and Dan's a former Aussie living in the UK. Sound familiar ? :D)

baguette.jpg

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Kabobs!

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:26 pm

Well, we were at the local Persian "13 bedar" celebration last weekend and had kabobs coming out of our ears ... as prepared by an equally local Mexican caterer!

Kabobs_1.jpg

Kabobs_2.jpg
And now what?
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:11 pm

Ben Rotter wrote:Nice idea Celia. A few recent dishes:

Ma Po Doufu

Ben,

This is probably my favourite dish for a cold, damp Winter's night. Best one I've had was in Adelaide. Mine is still a work in progress.
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:03 am

Celia, thanks for the info. The flour is significant because of the role the gluten plays in the elasticity and the "stretchability" of the dough, which can result in a more or less open texture. I assume the flour you're using is 100% Australian wheat in which case it would be pretty strong. Flours in the UK tend to be blends of British and imported (e.g. Canadian) wheat which are intended to give the classic British bread's closed, homogeneous, aerated texture. I've been combining strong flour (high protein/gluten) and "weaker" (lower protein) flour. I agree that the water content is important too though, and could be the critical point for me. I've been experimenting with batches between 65% and 75% so maybe I was just a little too low, or maybe my handling has been too rough. Thanks for the links - the first in particular looks like it will help.

Nayan, I feel the same way: Ma Po Doufu is perfect for a cold winter's (or frozen wet spring's :)) night. I'm still exploring techniques to make it too.

Robert, cool presentation of that dessert!
Last edited by Ben Rotter on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:08 am

I'll PM you, Ben, or this photo post will turn into a bread post.. :D

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 am

Blueberries.

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:11 pm

I LOVE blueberries, Cowboy. They cost a fortune here...

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:02 pm

I am completely addicted to these ! Persian figs which I've rehydrated in Drambuie. Life is good.... :wink:

persian figs.jpg

This week in chat, Cynthia taught me how to make rye bread that doesn't come out like a brick. I took her flour proportions and adapted it to my overnight sourdough recipe. Note to Ben, it was a heavy dough, and consistent with our discussion, it doesn't have any holes. Pete asked me to make a rye and cranberry loaf, which is what the one in front is.

rye bread.jpg

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:58 pm

Celia, your bread texture looks about right, but it's a lot lighter in color than mine. Did you use molasses?

I present... the humble oatmeal cookie... with semi-sweet chocolate chunks, dried cherries, and just a touch of cinnamon.

I needed a comfort food fix after a long day at the office.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:07 pm

Cynthia, that looks DELICIOUS. But why, oh why, is there only one on your plate ? :D

I just took your proportions from memory for the rye bread (2.5c rye, 1.5c wholemeal, .5 cup white bakers flour), and used it in place of my standard all white bakers flour. Did I get it right ? I didn't add any sweetener to my bread (well, except for the cranberries), and it's a very nice sandwich bread. If you could still post your recipe, I'd be grateful..thanks !

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:13 pm

Um... I ate the other two. :oops:

I'll post that recipe up tonight, Celia!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks, girlfriend. Make sure you post the recipe with that wonderful photo of your toasted cheese sandwich (though knowing you, you'll probably have an even better pic). I have to say, I've been eating a lot of toasted cheese sambos since you posted that picture. :roll:

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Not quite a toasted cheese sandwich but close: Welsh Rabbit with Whole Wheat Stout Bread. I made this for a beer tasting at the cooking school a couple of weeks back.

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:51 pm

Stop it ! Now I'm going to have to have melted cheese on toast for lunch... :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:15 pm

celia wrote:Stop it ! Now I'm going to have to have melted cheese on toast for lunch... :)

That would be melted cheese, eggs, and beer on toast! YUM and go for it!

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:35 pm

I have a unorthodox Croque Monsieur in the oven right now. Focaccia with bechamel, Italian prosciutto, semi-dried tomato, and topped with more bechamel and romano cheese. :D

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:52 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Um... I ate the other two. :oops:

I wouldn't have been able to hold back long enough to take a picture of the last one!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
Next