Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Foodies are so funny...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Foodies are so funny...

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:23 pm

Yesterday, I received a rather large order from Penzey Spice. I cleaned out my spice cabinets two weeks ago, and threw out old spices that were pre-Penzey days. I also realized I was low on many of my herbs and spices. I order in plastic bags and refill my existing glass jars. While opening the Spanish Paprika, my hand slipped causing me to dump some of the content on my counter. While I was scooping it up, I discovered the wonderful smell but the big surprise was the feel of the spice. So silky, so very, very lovely to the touch. It was amazing. The color was beautiful. I've been in love with Penzey's since I first ordered from them, for one thing, they always send me samples. This time it was the "Extra Hot Pepper Flakes" and a "Sandwich Sprinkle". I love the small jars the samples come in because I have friends who are not foodies (can you imagine) and freak out at the thought of having to buy an entire bottle of some obscure spice/herb they have never heard of.
So I have these small plastic jars available and fill them with what they need to try their recipe. I love doing that because more times than not, they tell me how much they loved the recipe and would never have tried it had I not provided.
The point of my rambling was that I wondered how many of you have ever had the pleasure of dipping your hand into a great paprika and discovered the same thing?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Foodies are so funny...

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:10 pm

Absolutely. Everything about cooking is completely sensual.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Foodies are so funny...

by Howie Hart » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:45 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:...The point of my rambling was that I wondered how many of you have ever had the pleasure of dipping your hand into a great paprika and discovered the same thing?
Paprika? No. But I've been up to my elbows in crushed grapes, squeezing out juice and removing stems. :D
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.