Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What should I make for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

What should I make for dinner?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:21 am

Since Santa Fe is big on all things Holy Weekend-related, I am trying to avoid going to the grocery store - which was already mobbed as I went past early this morning.

This is (pathetically) what I have on hand at home. What should I make for dinner?

Canned goods: garbanzos, black beans, cannellini beans, mandarin oranges, San Marzano tomatoes
Dry goods: ww, rye and tipo fino 00 flours, cornmeal, wild rice, Arborio rice, brown rice, tri-color rotini, fettuccine, Yukon golds, 3 kinds of onions, dried porcini and shitaake, oatmeal, dried cherries and cranberries, sun-dried tomatoes
Refrigerated: cream, butter, 5 kinds of pickles, eggs, asiago, parmesan, extra sharp cheddar, pesto, cucumbers, red bells, jalapenos
Frozen: peas, green chile, red chile, homemade tomato sauce
And, of course, apples, oranges, pears, and bananas on the counter

I've been eating a LOT of eggs lately (to avoid going to the store!) so I am not feeling inclined toward yet another omelet. And I will make pizza tomorrow, since it's Saturday and, well, that's what I do.

Thank you! Prizes will be awarded for the best suggestions! 8)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: What should I make for dinner?

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:40 am

No meat, fish or poultry? You could use the red bells and make stuffed peppers, topped with your tomato sauce, stuffed with rice and mushrooms, topped with the cheese.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:51 am

Oooooh! Good idea, Howie!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Terrine of potatoes (you have a mandoline, IIRC), onions, porcini, sun dried tomatoes, cream, egg, and cheese.

Peas on the side.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:53 pm

Another great idea. But that may too time/labor intensive for a day when I have to work late. Hmm.

But yes, I do have a mandoline. It was a wonderful Christmas gift this year. It rocks!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Alright Cynthia...I will give you my suggestions...although none are very inspiring. Unfortunately I am not terribly creative.

These would be my suggestions:

1 - Tri-color rotini with a porcini cream sauce served with a salad of cucumbers, mandarin oranges, peas, and red onions.
2 - Tri-color rotini with a sun-dried tomato pesto served with a salad of cucumbers, red onions, hard boiled eggs, chopped dill pickles.
3 - A three bean chili (using canned tomatos, your chili's, the onion) topped with melted sharp cheddar, serve with cornbread and brown rice.

I feel like I am on that old food network program called "Ready, Set, Cook". Does anyone remember that? LOL!

Let us know what you decide!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:44 pm

You make no mention of the liquids available, Cyn. If you're equipped with a decent stock, I'd make risotto al funghi with the dried porcini or, as Maria mentioned, take those rotini (or the fettucini) and toss them with a simple tomato sauce from the San Marsanos, onion and EVOO (you do have some of that, I hope!) with perhaps some of the red bells, roasted and topped with parmesan.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks, Maria and Mark! More good ideas!

Hmmm. Now to decide......
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Here is what I would do for a super easy dinner. Make a fruit salad using 1/2 apple, orange, banana, dried cranberries, tossed with whatever dressing you can come up with. Maybe a little sour cream/mayo, with orange zest, cinnamon.

Cook wild rice and brown rice, let cool and mix. Toss in some diced red bell pepper, sun-dried toms, diced seeded cuke, seasonings, small dice of any cheese you might have and toss with a vinaigrette Serve at room temp.
Use leftover apple, banana for your oatmeal the next day.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Very creative, Karen! Thank you!