Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Interested in being a Cook's Illustrated tester?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Interested in being a Cook's Illustrated tester?

by Bob Ross » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:42 pm

They invited me awhile back, and I must say that it's quite an educational and fun experience. Here's the most recent assignment; I think you can get invited just by writing to the editors and offering your services. Bob

New Cooks Illustrated Recipe to Test: Steak Tacos

Recipe Testing for Cook's Illustrated Magazine

Dear Robert,

Thank you for testing recipes for Cook’s Illustrated. Please remember that we sincerely appreciate your help, and understand if you don’t have time to make this recipe.

If you are testing the recipe, we will need your response by Friday, March 7th.

The link below will take you to the online survey that you will complete after you have made the recipe.

Note: The recipe link will be found on the first page of the survey.

Please save this email until you have completed the recipe. You will use the link below to re-access the survey for completion.

http://americastestkitchen.qualtrics.co ... &SVID=Prod

Once you have completed the survey, or once it is closed, you will no longer have access to the recipe through the survey link in this email. To keep a copy of the recipe we recommend copying the recipe and pasting it into a separate document.

REFERENCE QUESTIONS:

Here are a list of questions that appear on the survey. Please use these as a reference only. All answers should be submitted using the online survey.

Have you ever eaten or prepared a dish or recipe similar to this before?

Prior to making this recipe, what were your expectations for this dish?

If recipe calls for a grill, what type of grill did you use?

Did you use all the equipment (including the correct pan size and type - if applicable) called for in this recipe?

Please list the equipment you did not have and the substitutions you made.

If recipe offers ingredient options (such as cuts of meat or type of milk), which did you use?

Did you make any adjustments to the ingredient (omissions, additions, or substitutions)?

Please list the adjustments that you made, particularly noting which ingredients you did not have and the substitutions that you made.

Did you find any of the techniques used in the recipe to be difficult, unclear, or awkward?

Please explain which techniques were difficult, unclear or awkward in the recipe.

How long did it take you to make this recipe? Please do not include the time taken to gather your ingredients, cooling, or resting time. We would like to know how long it took to prepare and cook the recipe. If a grill is involved we may ask you to include the time it took to set up the grill. Marinades and brines would not be included in these times, but we may ask the length of time of the brine or marinade to be given separately.

Did the recipe yield the stated quantity?

How many portions did the recipe yield?

How would you rate this recipe (1-10, 10 being the best)?

Was this recipe worth the time, effort, and expense? If not, why?

Did we achieve our goal? If not, why?

Would you make this recipe again?

If you have any questions about the recipe please use the space provided in the questionnaire. Do not email them. If you have any additional comments or suggestions that do not pertain to the recipe, please direct them to surveys@americastestkitchen.com rather than entering them into the questionnaire.

Please note that due to the amount of emails we receive we may not be able to reply to every email.

Thank you for your help.

Happy Cooking!
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Re: Interested in being a Cook's Illustrated tester?

by ScottD » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:12 pm

That's interesting, Bob. I signed up maybe 2 months ago and my most recent (maybe 10 days ago) is a No Knead Pizza Bianco. Guess they must randomize their selections or send out a bunch to fill an issue maybe. I've just been too busy to try either of the one's I've gotten so far.