Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Has anyone tried TSP Spices?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Has anyone tried TSP Spices?

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:34 pm

I like several aspects of the idea: the spices are organic, they are packed in one teaspoon sizes, they are sealed until use.

But, does the increase in packaging from both a cost and environmental point of view outweigh the benefits?

I've read some very positive reviews, several planted by the manufacturer, but some seem to be from real cooks, e.g. http://steamykitchen.com/blog/

Here's the company's press release; what do you think?

TSP Spices
P.O. Box 39669
Baltimore, Md. 21212

Phone: 410.916.7215
Fax: 410.435.8846
Web: http://www.tspspices.com

Key Contact: Marissa Jennings marissa@melissalibbypr.com

Description:
TSP Spices brings you high-quality organic herbs and spices sealed in one-teaspoon packets and stored in tin cans that fit beautifully into your spice cabinet or drawer. They also look great on your counter – which makes them a perfect gift for your favorite cook, an indispensable companion for a trip to the beach or a sail on your yacht. And, of course, tsp spices is indispensable in your own kitchen.

Products Offered:

1) Spice Collection Boxed Sets:

Spice Basics - organic coriander, organic cumin, organic fennel seed, organic ginger, organic mild chile pepper and organic turmeric.

Sweet Basics - organic allspice, organic anise seed, organic cardamom, organic korintje cinnamon, organic cloves and organic nutmeg.

Green Basics - organic basil, organic dill, organic oregano, organic rosemary, organic tarragon and organic thyme.

Sweet Heat - true cinnamon and ancho chile powder.

Sun Shine - organic lemon zest and organic orange zest.

Savoir Fare - organic marjoram and organic sage.

2) Individual Spices (all organic):

tumeric, ginger, cumin, coriander, fennel seed, mild chili pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, anise seed, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, basil, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, oregano, dill weed, ancho chili, lemon zest, orange zest, marjoram, sage.

October 13, 2006
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Has anyone tried TSP Spices?

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Prediction: You'll hear a lot about Penzey's. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Speaking of which, does anyone subscribe to "Penzeys One", the bi-monthly magazine?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:27 pm

Never heard of this product before, but I gotta say, I'm not thinking it's a good idea. First of all but not by a long shot the only dissuader, you're going to pay for that packaging. Secondly, it doesn't suit the way I cook--a pinch here and a pinch there. Last thing I want to do is be slowed down having to open a packet, and then have to choose between wasting or repackaging the rest. And Larry's right: why would I need this if I'm a Penzey's customer?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Deleted

by Bob Ross » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Deleted by author
Last edited by Bob Ross on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:23 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Speaking of which, does anyone subscribe to "Penzeys One", the bi-monthly magazine?

My Mother had a subscription to Penzeys One and said it was possibly the worst cooking magazine she had ever subscribed to in her lifetime. Her advice to me was that if I was thinking about subscribing to another cooking magazine; to not waste my money on Penzeys One.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.