Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Crepe Pan Recommendations, Please

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Crepe Pan Recommendations, Please

by Greg H » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:37 pm

I'd like to start making some crepes (both savory and sweet) and would appreciate some recommendations on crepe pans and tools. Thanks.

Greg
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Crepe Pan Recommendations, Please

by Jenise » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Greg, about 20 years ago, special crepe pans (which were/are specifically for gas stoves, not electric or gas/electric alternatives) were all the rage, and I used to have one too but I long ago dumped that thing in preference for a good quality, shallow, slope-sided Teflon skillet with a flat surface area of about 7-8 inches that I also use for scrambled eggs and omelettes, and I'd recommend that to you, too. No special tools are required--once you get the technique down, you can turn them with any spatula (or your fingers) and the finished crepe will slide out of the pan directly onto a cooling surface.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:12 pm

I have also used, quite recently, just the right size, well-seasoned cast iron pan. gently sloping sides, but not rounded, so I could swirl the batter to cover the bottom of the pan, have a perfect circle then easily peel it away.

In the past for mass production I have used a non-stick electric crepe pan which worked well. A dome--heat it up, dip it into the batter, wait for light to go on (or off or whatever)...I made hundreds of those for catering functions and two pans helped churn out a fair few...

b
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:22 am

Geeze, I only used my crepe pan twice this past weekend!

I have few "single use" (I'm sure I could use it for more) pots or pans, but I did get a 10" All-Clad Crepe pan from my wedding registry. It is non-stick, so the crepes come right off the pan without butter or oil, but it still browns beautifully. The pan is thin, so responds well to the controls of the stove top. Also, the lack of lip allows for the best angles to flip. I love crepes, and nothing I used previously (All-Clad or Le Creuset) quite gave me the ease and excellence of results. $40 well invested.

Yum.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks all. Sounds like the way to start is with one of the pans I have and then pick up a crepe specific pan if start making them regularly.

Are folks using buckwheat flour for savory crepes? If so, do you use all buckwheat flour or do you mix with some other flour type? From where do you get your buckwheat flour (US)?

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:43 am

Greg Hollis wrote:Thanks all. Sounds like the way to start is with one of the pans I have and then pick up a crepe specific pan if start making them regularly.

Are folks using buckwheat flour for savory crepes? If so, do you use all buckwheat flour or do you mix with some other flour type? From where do you get your buckwheat flour (US)?

Thanks.

Yes, I do use buckwheat when I have the flour on hand and AP is fine when I don't--look for the Bob's Red Mill brand (it might be in the natural food section).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Thanks, Jenise. Will do.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:36 pm

I tend to use both Calphalon crepe pan and a cast-iron skillet. Obviously the Calphalon is more foolproof but it doesn't brown as well. The cast-iron, at least on my electric range, only works on the burner that's the same diameter as the pan, yielding unevenly done crepes on the small burner, while the aluminum in the Calphalon distributes the heat well enough to be used on a smaller burner.

If you're quick with the batter, you can also use a griddle, though it also is somewhat uneven.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:36 am

wnissen wrote:I tend to use both Calphalon crepe pan and a cast-iron skillet. Obviously the Calphalon is more foolproof but it doesn't brown as well. The cast-iron, at least on my electric range, only works on the burner that's the same diameter as the pan, yielding unevenly done crepes on the small burner, while the aluminum in the Calphalon distributes the heat well enough to be used on a smaller burner.

If you're quick with the batter, you can also use a griddle, though it also is somewhat uneven.

Walt

Now that you mention it, Walt, I remember my mom making the little crepes for manicotti on her electric pancake griddle. Never tried that myself.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child