Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Gulab Jamun - Indian doughnuts in rose water syrup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

RCP: Gulab Jamun - Indian doughnuts in rose water syrup

by Howard » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 pm

More experimenting with Indian food. This is an Indian doughnut soaked in cardamom and rose-water flavored simple syrup. Make sure you soak these for a good couple of hours. I love cardamom.

Most of this is from the About.com site with a few modifications.

3 cups sugar
6 cups water
1 tbls cardamom powder
You can use a pinch of saffron too if you like
2 tbls rose water

3 cups powdered milk
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup milk

Oil for deep frying.

Make the syrup: Mix the water and sugar and boil until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the rose water and cardamom and saffron if you're using it. Mix well and set aside.

Make the dumplings: Mix the powdered milk, flour and baking powder. Break up the butter and add it a little at a time until well mixed. Add the milk a little at a time and knead until you have a nice soft dough. This was hard for me and I never got a dough that was easy to work with.

Divide the dough into walnut sized pieces. (I had to wet my hands to make this easier to do). Roll to make them smooth. Heat the oil to medium only. I don't have a temperature to tell you but you want these things to take about 7 minutes to fry so it's not a really high temp. If they cook too fast, the insides don't get done. You want them pretty brown.

Once fried, drain and immediately put into the syrup. Soak them for at least two hours. You can store them in the fridge and serve them with the syrup warmed the next day if you like.
Howard
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: RCP: Gulab Jamun - Indian doughnuts in rose water syrup

by Paul Winalski » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:28 pm

These are my favorite Indian sweet, although I've never made them myself.

I definitely recommend saffron in the syrup. In addition to the added flavor and aroma, it gives the syrup a nice yellow color.

One Indian restaurant that I used to frequent puts a raisin or sultana in the center of each dumpling.

The dough itself traditionally is made from ultra-condensed milk that is made by slowly evaporating down a big batch of milk to a thick, almost dough-like substance that you then mix with farina. It takes hours to make. Starting with powdered milk is a shortcut that I've seen almost universally in published recipes.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks Paul,
A little more research on the net finds this site wherein the preparation of Khoya is described as a thickened form of milk. One cup of khoya is made by boiling 1 liter of milk while stirring continuously. What about canned evaporated milk?
Howard
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:05 pm

Canned evaporated milk is another shortcut I've seen. You have to be careful if the evaporated milk is sweetened to adjust the sugar in the recipe accordingly.

-Paul W.