Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Super Bowl Snacks?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Super Bowl Snacks?

by Fred Sipe » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:19 pm

I have to have my guacamole. And I think we're doing taco style pita pizza with hot salsa, refried beans, diced red onion and cheese. Stuffed mushrooms are on the menu too but not sure yet what to stuff with.

Do you have any must-haves or unique snack ideas?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Super Bowl Snacks?

by Howie Hart » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 pm

Wings! 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Wings! 8)

Niagara, Buffalo... hmmm...

Love 'em. Added to the menu. I make my sauce with Sriracha and butter and garlic.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:41 pm

Tradition in our house is to make pizza for the Superbowl. I'll be starting soon.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:56 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:Niagara, Buffalo... hmmm...

Love 'em. Added to the menu. I make my sauce with Sriracha and butter and garlic.
I use butter, vinegar and Frank's Hot Sauce.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:11 am

Ridiculously Easy Chipotle Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans
Reserve 1/4 cup juice from beans
1 1/2tbl tahini
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbl fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic (medium sized, better if roasted but not necessary) - smashed
1 large dried chipotle pepper - soaked in boiling hot water for 20 minutes or so

Rinse the beans, then put the beans, tahini, 1/4 cup juice from beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt into the food processor. Pulse until smooth. Devein and remove the seeds from the chipotle. Dice the chipotle and add to the food processor. Process until smooth. Taste and adjust salt/lemon/garlic as necessary.
Howard
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 pm

I broiled some bacon wrapped filets seasoned with a coffee bbq rub (my grill's under 18" of snow, I wasn't digging). Sauteed some porcinis seasoned with a dill/tarragon/thyme/chervil mixture I'd put together (I moonlight at a local spice house). To give the mushrooms a little extra nudge I hit them with a bit of chinese brown sauce I had in the fridge and a dose of hoisin sauce. Layered cream cheese and some more of the herb mixture on a french loaf, sliced filets and bacon and topped the whole sheebang with the mushrooms. Made nice little sandwiches to go with the artichoke dip and veggie tray.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Now that's a SNACK!

We actually had filet sandwiches last year layered up with some special dressing/sauce my wife made along with thin sliced red onion and arugula. I love using primo ingredients to make a lowly sandwich.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:50 pm

For the Patriots and their insufferable fans......wait, make that head coach.......CROW!!!!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:16 am

MikeH wrote:For the Patriots and their insufferable fans......wait, make that head coach.......CROW!!!!

Actually, from what I've seen, the Patriots and Belichick have had a very healthy respect for their opponents over this season, and have said so in the press. The trash talk has all been on the other side. Or on the part of moronic Patriots fans.

I see no need for any dish of crow or humble pie on the team's part.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:58 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
MikeH wrote:For the Patriots and their insufferable fans......wait, make that head coach.......CROW!!!!

Actually, from what I've seen, the Patriots and Belichick have had a very healthy respect for their opponents over this season, and have said so in the press. The trash talk has all been on the other side. Or on the part of moronic Patriots fans.

I see no need for any dish of crow or humble pie on the team's part.

-Paul W.

Agree that the published trash talk emanated from a lot of opposing players. OTOH, I would say that your proximity to Beantown has resulted in you receiving much propaganda. The reporting in the rest of the country has been far less favorable. You probably missed stories of the team attempting to trademark slogans like "19-0" and "The Perfect Season" before the San Diego game was played. See this: http://www.nypost.com/seven/02012008/ne ... 587194.htm

Don't know if you saw the "election-style" map of the U.S. with responses to the question, "Who are you pulling for in the Superbowl, Giants or Pats?" The only states voting for the Pats were 1) in New England and 2) Michigan, where Brady played collegiate ball. I thought that to be rather stunning given that sports fans usually cheer for the front-runner, particularly one that is on the cusp of a phenomenal achievement. Since the average Joe Voter has no exposure to Pats fans, fans saw something they didn't like in the visible reps of the franchise, Belichick and Brady being the two with the most air time. Maybe the cheating incident caused the backlash.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:14 pm

MikeH wrote: I thought that to be rather stunning given that sports fans usually cheer for the front-runner, particularly one that is on the cusp of a phenomenal achievement. Since the average Joe Voter has no exposure to Pats fans, fans saw something they didn't like in the visible reps of the franchise, Belichick and Brady being the two with the most air time. Maybe the cheating incident caused the backlash.

It'd be interested to know where the voting was done on that, Mike. I'm wondering if the exposure was more to sports fans or casual fans. My experience is that most folks that follow sports tend towards the underdogs and a changing of the guard (see antipathy RE: Duke or NC b-ball, for example), while casual fans gravitate toward the team they've most heard about but don't necessarily follow.

Or... (conspiracies are like opinions, right?) MAYBE that poll shows that the fix was in and the Giants weren't truly the underdogs the betting line made them out to be.

EDIT : antithapy :lol: Doh!
Last edited by ScottD on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:28 pm

I must admit I'm glad the Giants won but I'm mostly just really happy for Gary Vay-ner-chuk!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:24 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:I must admit I'm glad the Giants won but I'm mostly just really happy for Gary Vay-ner-chuk!

I still can't really like that guy. Who in hell uses a 4 oz pour of the wine to follow to rinse away the wine before? What ever happened to water?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:13 pm

It's SHOWTIME!
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:10 pm

ScottD wrote:
MikeH wrote: I thought that to be rather stunning given that sports fans usually cheer for the front-runner, particularly one that is on the cusp of a phenomenal achievement. Since the average Joe Voter has no exposure to Pats fans, fans saw something they didn't like in the visible reps of the franchise, Belichick and Brady being the two with the most air time. Maybe the cheating incident caused the backlash.

It'd be interested to know where the voting was done on that, Mike. I'm wondering if the exposure was more to sports fans or casual fans. My experience is that most folks that follow sports tend towards the underdogs and a changing of the guard (see antipathy RE: Duke or NC b-ball, for example), while casual fans gravitate toward the team they've most heard about but don't necessarily follow.

Or... (conspiracies are like opinions, right?) MAYBE that poll shows that the fix was in and the Giants weren't truly the underdogs the betting line made them out to be.

EDIT : antithapy :lol: Doh!

Not sure where the poll was done or how.

As far as fans reactions towards underdogs, I don't believe your assessment is totally correct. Psychologically, most humans want to be associated with a "winner." So pre-game time, fans are normally lined up behind the favorite. This association is stronger when the favorite is poised to make history, as in this case due to the cheating episode at the beginning of the season. The association weakens when the favorite is perceived as a "bad guy" for whatever reason. Again, we have that in this case. Sure some fans root for the underdog from the start. But most do not for the basic reason I gave above. HOWEVER, as the game proceeds and the underdog stays in contention or even leads, fan sentiment will switch to the underdog. Basically, this switch occurs for the same reason, i.e. supporting the underdog makes them feel good, feel like a winner especially when the underdog comes through.

"Everybody loves the underdog" is not true. "Everybody loves the underdog who wins" is true. Underdogs who lose just join the long list of losers that fans forget.

I am waaaaay too biased to address UNC-Duke. Go Heels!!!! :D
Cheers!
Mike