Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you drink wine in the kitchen while cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Do you drink wine in the kitchen while cooking?

by Paul B. » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Oh yes, and it's almost universally a dry white wine - even if none is needed for the recipe at hand.

Typically it'll be a Grüner Veltliner, Vidal, Pinot Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc; I reserve aromatic whites for sipping alone generally.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:05 pm

I always drink wine while cooking. Since I like reds, it is usually a Ravenswood Merlot, Pepperwood Syrah or a local Merlo from Burnsini Vineyards. I do all my prep for dinner in the morning, so in the evening I can sit with Gene, watch the news with him and chat. The cooking part usually does not take much of my time and it is my favorite part of the day - a glass of wine or two is so nice.
If I am cooking with white wine, I never drink it while cooking. It is sealed with a vacuum gizmo and is kept for the next dish using white wine
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:48 pm

I will usually have a drink while I'm cooking. More often than not it is white wine -- dry riesling, pino grigio, sauvignon blanc or champagne. I always use any left over wines or open a fresh bottle (this is usually the case for reds, since I am not a huge fan) to include in some recipe. I seldom cook anything that doesn't have a splash of some wine, liquor, liqueur (or a combination) in it -- I love the complexity it adds to the flavors.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:38 pm

Sometimes, but more often, something carbonated. Beer, ale, or (gasp) diet soda.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:04 pm

Yep.

I follow Julia's lead and drink sherry. A little for the pot, a little more for me. :D
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:07 pm

If what I am cooking requires wine, yes, I also drink some. However, I don't usually open a bottle if it's not needed because it will take me 3 days to finish it, on average.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:If what I am cooking requires wine, yes, I also drink some. However, I don't usually open a bottle if it's not needed because it will take me 3 days to finish it, on average.

Slow-poke! :P
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:11 am

I used to. It would be whatever was at hand; red, rose, white, beer, scotch. Now I am looking for wine in small bottles that is actually worth a damn and not horribly expensive so I don't have any waste.

rwj
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:54 am

Yes...Usually something white and crisp. Or if the grapefruits are looking good, I'll make a Greyhound.