Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

by Christina Georgina » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Well here it is. The wood fired pizza oven I started using a year and a half before the house was done.
Not for pizza and bread alone, I have done pork chops, veal chops, thick cut beef steaks. When it has been fired up
on a Saturday or Sunday morning I take every opportunity to use it from baking to toasting bread to melting butter.
When the fire dies down at the end of the day the covers go on and the oven remains hot enough overnight to
finish off the baked beans or a long simmered ragu. My husband loved putting it together from the pieces imported
from Italy [ Mugiani ] He hauled the stones out of a farmers field, apprenticed with a stone mason, split them and
assembled the surround using field stone and interesting stones we picked up in our travels.
Do I use it every day. No. Every weekend in the fall and winter it gets fired up, if not for cooking, then just for
the wonderful heat and ambiance. An infrared thermometer is a must. The first loaf of bread turned into a
carbonized brick in 10 minutes. It turns out that the temp was in excess of 1000 degrees farenheit. It was/is a steep
learning curve to use it well.
This jessie was the only item in the new house that we did not have endless discussion about. I commented
one day that a wood fired oven might be nice and before I knew it the order was place and a 700 lb pallet
was being unloaded from a semi. It has been a lot of fun.
[img]
IMG_0749.jpg
[attachment=1]IMG_0748.jpg[/attachment
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Re: Wood Fired Pizza Oven

by Christina Georgina » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:51 pm

Sorry, I thought I knew what I was doing with the photos. I'll have to get some help
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Does this do it ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:25 pm

There is some serious envy going on here in ATX. That is sweet!

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:32 pm

I hate you.

(what's the smilie code for "green-eyed monster"?)
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Christina, WOW !! I remember reading somewhere about what it was bakers would bake in the residual heat..hmm...will try and find it..
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Position Wanted: Will do menial housework for opportunity to use a wood fired pizza oven on a regular basis. PM me with street address!
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:44 pm

Serious envy going on here in Tulsa too.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:03 pm

Nice. Very very nice.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:17 am

Yes, it is beautiful.
What kind of wood do you burn in it?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 am

Any dried, hardwood will do. We have been using mostly oak. It only takes a little and it is so efficient that even at the end of the year there is only a little pile of ash.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Menial housework for a shot at the oven? Forget it: Party at Christina's house!!!

Road trip.

b
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:37 pm

Oooh! I want one.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Menial housework for a shot at the oven? Forget it: Party at Christina's house!!!

Road trip.

b

Yeah, ROAD TRIP!!!

My that's beautiful. Don't have the space for one in my remodel, but my husband's office is in the Wood/Stone building, if you're familiar with their wood-fired ovens which are manufactured here, and he comes home drooling a lot.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:36 pm

You are all welcome to have at it anytime ! It has been great for entertaining. I now invite people to bring their own dough on a peel for a BYOD parties.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:34 pm

How wonderful Christina!! It looks beautiful...what a great hubby to do so much work on it too. It makes me really excited to get my Kamado. It must make incredible pizza and bread...I love the pics...TFS!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:14 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Well here it is. The wood fired pizza oven I started using a year and a half before the house was done.
Not for pizza and bread alone, I have done pork chops, veal chops, thick cut beef steaks. When it has been fired up
on a Saturday or Sunday morning I take every opportunity to use it from baking to toasting bread to melting butter.
When the fire dies down at the end of the day the covers go on and the oven remains hot enough overnight to
finish off the baked beans or a long simmered ragu. My husband loved putting it together from the pieces imported
from Italy [ Mugiani ] He hauled the stones out of a farmers field, apprenticed with a stone mason, split them and
assembled the surround using field stone and interesting stones we picked up in our travels.
Do I use it every day. No. Every weekend in the fall and winter it gets fired up, if not for cooking, then just for
the wonderful heat and ambiance. An infrared thermometer is a must. The first loaf of bread turned into a
carbonized brick in 10 minutes. It turns out that the temp was in excess of 1000 degrees farenheit. It was/is a steep
learning curve to use it well.This jessie was the only item in the new house that we did not have endless discussion about. I commented one day that a wood fired oven might be nice and before I knew it the order was place and a 700 lb pallet
was being unloaded from a semi. It has been a lot of fun.
mg]
IMG_0749.jpg
[attachment=1]IMG_0748.jpg[/attachment

Golly Gee Maria, how much jealousy did you expect to engender! You have had this oven for months and months, and you have a "K" coming, WOW! double WOW!

Whoa! I missed it entirely. I thought it was Maria that had a wood fired oven. After correcting my mistaken identity, I am still jealous, but just a bit less than before. Now I do have to do a pizza and some sourdough on the grill though. That thing is definitely a work of art, functional are, but art anyway.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:49 pm

Bob, I think you must have a radar that alerts you anytime the word "Kamado" gets mentioned...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:19 pm

celia wrote:Bob, I think you must have a radar that alerts you anytime the word "Kamado" gets mentioned...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"C" I would love to invite you, Pete, and the kids for some Kamado kooked ribs, wings, and a brisket.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks Bob ! We would love to join you ! :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial