Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking with tea?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Cooking with tea?

by Saina » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:40 pm

I was just drinking a cup of Karigane, green tea from Japan, when I realised that this sort of aromatics might just be wonderful with some of the fattier fish. But I don't remember ever seeing recipes with tea used as a spice. Is there any such thing?

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Cooking with tea?

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I was just drinking a cup of Karigane, green tea from Japan, when I realised that this sort of aromatics might just be wonderful with some of the fattier fish. But I don't remember ever seeing recipes with tea used as a spice. Is there any such thing?

Otto, have a look at my report on an interesting experiment that a local restaurant here tried a few years ago:

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/teatasting.shtml
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Cooking with tea?

by Frank Deis » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:24 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:I was just drinking a cup of Karigane, green tea from Japan, when I realised that this sort of aromatics might just be wonderful with some of the fattier fish. But I don't remember ever seeing recipes with tea used as a spice. Is there any such thing?

-O

Maybe we need a "Matcha challenge." Matcha is the powdered green tea used in the Japanese tea ceremony. It is also available in various grades as a food ingredient. This is what you need to buy if you want to make green tea ice cream. Try it as a google term. I quickly found this recipe for fish with matcha - green tea mayonnaise.

http://www.tastegurus.com/index.php?opt ... 8&Itemid=1

Frank