Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Scallops

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nick Stevens

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Scallops

by Nick Stevens » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:22 am

Forgive my inexperience, but I need help on a somewhat basic technique. Scallops are among my favorite items to eat, and my favorite preparations are a simple sear on the outsides while leaving a tender inside. I just cannot seem to replicate what I get at restaurants; either I burn the outside, or the sear is not enough to my liking. I have tried many different techniques, different pans, but have never prepared them to my liking. Any suggestions? Thanks.
..... my cellar treasures, from vintages 2001 and 2004.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Scallops

by John Tomasso » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:28 am

Can't say what you're doing, or not doing, that's inhibiting the sear you're looking for, but I follow a few, simple rules:

The scallops must be completely dry - moisture will prevent a proper sear. Blot them with paper towels, let them sit, whatever it takes to have a perfectly dry surface.
Use a hot pan. Don't be afraid to get the pan screaming hot.
Don't put too many in the pan at once. Better to use two pans if necessary.
Use high heat. That's what they do in the restaurant.

Good luck.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Nick Stevens

Rank

Wine geek

by Nick Stevens » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:33 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you use olive oil alone; or combo with butter?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Nick,

Adding to John's great advice, making good scallops is three fold...One is the pan. My best luck has been with either well seasoned cast iron or heavy stainless steel. A "non-stick" pan will not do the trick. Second are the scallops. Ask your fish monger for dry packed scallops. Yes, they are usually the most expensive, but the average scallops from, say, Piggly Wiggly, are chemically treated to absorb moisture and will thus not yield that good, caramelized sear crust. Third is the cooking fat. Olive oil has too low of a smoke point for properly searing scallops so I use clarified butter and on occasion a touch of a high smoke point oil depending upon the recipe. And be sure not to "crowd" the scallops.

Good luck and I hope to hear about your results.
Last edited by Dave R on Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:30 pm

What they say. Dry the scallops, clarified butter, hot pan. (I actually use a pancake griddle.) I like a garlic brown butter with them.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Nick Stevens

Rank

Wine geek

by Nick Stevens » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:41 pm

Fantastic suggestions; thanks. I practiced with olive oil for my lunch today and smoked out my entire family. I have never clarified butter before; sounds like fun!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:15 pm

I'll add that I agree with what Dave said about the scallops you get. The ones here are either called "dry scallops" or (I think) "day boat scallops". We've had very nice results with these and poor results with any other scallops we've bought.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:50 pm

The ones here are either called "dry scallops" or (I think) "day boat scallops".

Yep, Day Boats are the ones to look for. Diver scallops as well. Calico or Bay scallops are the ones to avoid. While I do not usually equate price with quality, scallops are an exception.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Grapeseed oil works well, too. It has a very high smoking point.

rwj
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:33 pm

I am a HUGE fan of scallops and after you get the sear process down, I say it is all about the sauce.

I love an orange, tarragon butter sauce that I'm sure I've mentioned before... and I probably never do the same way twice.

I do this in a separate, small nonstick skillet while I sear the scallops.

Sweat some minced shallots in olive oil and butter, S&P then add fresh orange juice, some chicken stock and white wine, toss in some fresh tarragon sprigs and reduce. Finish with some butter and - oh - my!

Also like the same thing using apricot jam instead of the OJ.

And it's hard to beat garlic, butter and lemon.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:09 pm

I made some dry scallops tonight for dinner. I sauteed them in olive oil, as I always do, and got a nice sear. I also prefer to avoid a non-stick pan. One of the most critical things in executing a proper sear is to heat the pan before adding the oil, then add the oil right around the smoking point. Two minutes a side for large scallops, with the pan big enough not to crowd the scallops which produces steaming instead of searing, and you will have a nice sear and very tender scallops. I served them with molded basmati rice, shallots and spinach, and a roasted red pepper sauce.

I tried both a fizz and a zin with this dish, and liked the fizz better.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:12 pm

Greg,
I'd go with a sauvignon blanc or (on the cheap) Dry Creek Vineyard Dry Chenin Blanc, a wine that's made the way a Vouvray should be made, and you get it for around $10.

For the scallops, the sauce is the thing. You have to bring out the delicate buttery flavor. It's easy to overpower scallops.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:44 pm

to sear or brown something i use a version of the old 'don't raise the bridge, lower the river'. dry the scallops or the steak thoroughly on paper towel and then lightly coat the surface with oil - NOT THE PAN. much less smoke and waste.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:05 am

Another reason not to sear scallops in non-stick pans (if you keep birds): http://theaviary.com/teflon.shtml
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:06 am

There's always the cheater's way... a very light dusting of sugar will produce a dark, crunchy char.

Not that I recommend it, but, well, like, it's there.