Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A meatless January - it passed so quickly

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

A meatless January - it passed so quickly

by John Tomasso » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:28 am

For reasons of which I'm still not sure, I decided to give up meat eating for the month of January.

Health? no, healthwise, I'm fine. (sign of cross, knock wood, etc etc etc)
Weight loss? Nope - that wasn't the intention, either, and all my other high caloric vices remained intact.
Moral reasons? Concern about meat production's impact on the envirornment? No, and no again.

It was a far more selfish reason that drove this experiment. Boredom. I became bored with my meals, and figured that by eliminating the major component, I would be forced to try different things, and ways of cooking.

So, how did it go?
Ok, sort of.

The biggest problem stemmed from family disharmony. My wife is a meat eater - loves her steaks, her chops, her roast beef. Unlike me, she feels a meal without meat is somehow, incomplete. I was always happy to eat meatless meals, and in fact, have always kept two days a week meatless in a faux nod to the religious traditions which surrounded my childhood. Anyway, when I undertook this change, I promised that it wouldn't affect her in any way; it would be transparent. I would fix my meals and clean up any mess. She would eat her normal meals, and I would time things so that we could sit down together for dinner, as is our custom.
This was easier said than done, and to be perfectly honest, she very likely ended up washing more pots, more pans, and cleaning up more messes than she would have had we been eating the same meals. I sensed a bit of resentment, a bit of anger simmering beneath the surface of her otherwise sunny disposition.

Beyond that, I found it suprisingly easy . In the past, when I've tried to eliminate things from my diet, I ended up with terrible cravings, and frankly, almost always failed at those attempts. Chocolate? A few days, maybe. Bread and pasta? Are you kidding me? That didn't last long, either. But this was different. I didn't have any cravings whatsoever, even when I smelled a tri tip roasting in the oven, or when Cindy was fixing carnitas, one of my absolute favorites. Now, I did allow myself the luxury of seafood; this wasn't true vegetarianism by any stretch. But still, I remain surprised at how I simply don't miss beef, lamb, pork or poultry.

Meals were simple enough. I resolved at the very beginning of the month to always have a richly flavored vegetable stock on hand. So there were a lot of soups. Risotto. Pasta dishes, obviously. I ate tons of mushrooms. Eggplant parmigiana. Pizza. I made a few curries. Lentils. Quinoa. Oh, and beans. Rice and beans, sometimes with vegetables thrown in, sometimes as a chili. Frittata and souffles. I had a lovely herb stuffed trout, and shrimp a few times. In short, I didn't run out of ideas, and I very much enjoyed the change of pace.

The biggest challenge? Restaurants. I have a new found sympathy for my vegetarian friends out there, as the offerings in the typical restaurant are just not very good. And I was able to eat fish. For those eschewing seafood, well, I just don't know how you do it.
My most enjoyable restaurant meal of the month was sushi. Oh, and a perfectly outrageous chanterelle and egg pizza at American Flatbreads. Otherwise, it was salads and tuna sandwiches. Ugh.

If I missed one thing, it was my "gravy" - that's been a Sunday staple for me for a very long time, and not making meatballs on a Sunday morning seemed quite odd.

Anyway, it's over now, and I must say, I'm in no hurry to run out and have a juicy burger or steak. Yesterday, the 1st, was a Friday, and I kept it meatless as I do every Friday. I am going to try and extend my meatless streak into February as far as I can, without winding up in divorce court.
I am attending an Antinori dinner on the 6th, and one of the courses is wild boar stew, so that will surely be an endpoint for me.
And later this month, I'll be back in NY, cooking for Dad, and that means more meat. I wouldn't even try to explain this whole thing to him.
And Valentine's Day usually has me fixing one of Cindy's favorite meals - steak au poivre. And of course, her birthday's coming up.

Sigh.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: A meatless January - it passed so quickly

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Congratulations to you, John. You Did GOOD! I wish you luck for the month of February. Every success should be celebrated. You hit your goal and everything from this point is gravy (so to speak). I would join you for incentive, but I have no discipline when it comes to food and drink. Good luck.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:28 pm

Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to describe your experience. It's an interesting challenge, isn't it, to go without something? We've gone similar paths from time to time--to stay exclusive to, or from, a particular item of food or drink--and we've always learned something about ourselves in the process. Something that didn't neccessarily change our ways in the long run but certainly something that caused us to gain appreciation on some level that we hadn't had before.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Dear John,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Cooking with vegetables is different when you're not relying on it to be a sideline to the "meat" of the meal. Keeps you from getting lazy. Especially impressive that you did this in the winter, when the farmer's markets have mainly the same ten vegetables for months.

To celebrate, you should go away for the weekend and take your wife to Ubuntu in Napa!

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:12 pm

John Tomasso wrote: Oh, and beans. Rice and beans, sometimes with vegetables thrown in, sometimes as a chili.

Houston, we have a problem.

Seriously, though, I haven't been eating very much red meat or pork for the last year and I don't miss it either. I now eat red meat about once each month, sometimes less. Most of my protein comes from legumes, nuts, quinoa, fish, and fowl, etc. Good going, John. Just quit calling those bean stews "Chili".

rwj