Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

An adventure in long-cooked broccoli

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

An adventure in long-cooked broccoli

by Jenise » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:32 pm

One of the most curious pizzas on offer at Nancy Silverton and Mario Batali's Mozza Pizzeria in Los Angeles, which I wrote about visiting in another post, was a white-sauced pizza topped with "long-cooked broccoli" which my waiter described as having been dressed in olive oil and put in the oven on low heat for "four or five hours". Honestly, that didn't sound good to me at all, but I have to admit it actually looked pretty good when the guy next to me at the counter ordered it.

With the sole exception of green beans or spinach in a famous Indian dish, I have never liked vegetables cooked past the point where they lose their natural color. I despise vapid, soft carrots in stews, peas that turn gray, you name it I hate them all: I want bright color, bright flavor, and if not crisp than at least not cooked past the point where you can't tell they were fresh to start with.

At least, that's what I've always thought. Nancy Silverton's a brilliant chef, and what do I really know about long-cooked broccoli anyway, had I ever had it? Maybe there's a truly magical flavor that occurs after all that time, maybe it's something I should try, I thought. Someday. Well, someday hadn't really arrived yet, but when, on Tuesday, unexpected complications turned a two hour crown prep dentist appointment into a miserable four hour procedure and I ended up with a mouth too sore to chew anything much firmer than a four hour stalk of broccoli, it seemed the time had come.

What I did was break up the broccoli into reasonable pieces in a dutch oven sized pan and pour EVOO and a liberal quantity of kosher salt all over. The pot, covered, went into a 300 degree oven. After an hour, the broccoli was soft and still surprisingly quite green. After two hours, it had faded somewhat but the flavor had actually deepened and improved with sweet caramel tones. I turned the heat down to 250 and kept going. After three hours, the color had darkened into a brown hue and the flavor had deepened further yet, but I thought it had gone too far. Two hours had been better. Still I served it because I needed food, and in the company of a Cotes du Rhone red, the broccoli tasted much better than it had in the pan. I actually liked it. In fact, even more surprising than that I liked the broccoli prepared this way was the way the wine and the broccoli flattered each other. I would not have bet on it!

So, will I do it again? I just might. Trouble is, you wouldn't serve this dish in the same situations you would serve greener, fresher broccoli, it's a completely different dish in and of itself and I'm not sure where you WOULD serve it. I guess that[s the Part II of this exercise. Viability? Established. Application? To be determined.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: An adventure in long-cooked broccoli

by Howard » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:57 pm

When I google long cooked broccoli there are a bunch of posts (mostly food blogs) that reproduce nancy silverton's recipe. Apparently she blanches it, then cooks it for 1 1/2 hours at "very low temperatures". She then tops it with feta cheese and scrambled eggs. I haven't actually seen the original but there were enough of these around to suggest this is the gist of it. Sounds yummy. I'm sure one of the reasons my kids like broccoli is due to the sugar. I've never tried to caramelize that but why not?
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:10 pm

Howard wrote:When I google long cooked broccoli there are a bunch of posts (mostly food blogs) that reproduce nancy silverton's recipe. Apparently she blanches it, then cooks it for 1 1/2 hours at "very low temperatures". She then tops it with feta cheese and scrambled eggs. I haven't actually seen the original but there were enough of these around to suggest this is the gist of it. Sounds yummy. I'm sure one of the reasons my kids like broccoli is due to the sugar. I've never tried to caramelize that but why not?

I would never have thought to google it--thank you for doing that. Interesting the difference in time vs. what was described to me--but my experience certainly supports the shorter cooking time. And I didn't blanch--wondered about doing so, actually, but decided that it probably had enough inherent moisture to keep from drying out, especially if cooked covered. Thanks for the input.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:54 am

Jenise, there's an interesting recipe for "Long Cooked Broccoli" in The Low-carb Gourmet: Recipes for the New Lifestyle, By Brigit Legere Binns. The recipe is on Google Books -- You can enter the quoted text in Google Books. It kicks up the Binns recipe, two restricted books, and an essay about the pizza you describe.

I'll try to link to the recipe here -- some interesting uses mentioned there, although the technique is quite different: Link to recipe I hope.