Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pumpkin Risotto - excellent companion with game birds!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

RCP: Pumpkin Risotto - excellent companion with game birds!

by Martin Barz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:37 am

Here we have a relatively simple risotto, but this Pumpkin Risotto is a superb companion with game birds. I served it together with a wild duck breast.......

Ingredients (serves 2):
300g pumpkin
1 leek (only white part)
250g risotto rice
1l chicken/vegetable stock
1 shallot
1 glass white wine
30g butter
50g parmesan grated
parsley

Preparation
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP: Pumpkin Risotto - excellent companion with game birds!

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:37 am

We do several variants of that dish. Leek is an excellent choice. A couple hints:

At the end, a small shot of Austrian Kuerbiskernoel (especially a good one from Styria) can do wonders. It brings out the flavor of the pumpkin and adds a little smokiness. A hint of white pepper is a good thing at this point, too.

The broth (I use vegetable) can usefully have some sage added. Or add some chopped fresh sage to the risotto in the last 3 or 4 minutes of cooking.

It's best to add the Parmesan right at the end, with the pan off the heat. This gives a more pleasing texture.

Field pumpkins can sometimes be difficult to find (our shops mostly have decorative pumpkin). Kabocha is an excellent substitute.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: RCP: Pumpkin Risotto - excellent companion with game birds!

by Martin Barz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:45 am

Stuart,

you´re right with the Kürbiskernöl! Normally, I use it for a pumpkin soup, just a dash on top shortly before serving. The next time I will use it for the pumpkin risotto, too.
BTW, I used a Hokaido pumpkin.
http://berlinkitchen.com