Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dessert?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Dessert?

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:02 am

I seldom order dessert when I eat out, but yesterday someone took me out to my favorite Thai restaurant and twisted my arm to order one. I opted for the green tea/ginger ice cream over sticky rice (I couldn't decide between green tea or ginger so they made the scoop 1/2 of each). Both flavors were yummy, but if you've never had green tea ice cream, give it a try. Yum.

Are you a dessert freak or not? And what's your preference when dining out?
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Dessert?

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:33 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I seldom order dessert when I eat out, but yesterday someone took me out to my favorite Thai restaurant and twisted my arm to order one. I opted for the green tea/ginger ice cream over sticky rice (I couldn't decide between green tea or ginger so they made the scoop 1/2 of each). Both flavors were yummy, but if you've never had green tea ice cream, give it a try. Yum.

Are you a dessert freak or not? And what's your preference when dining out?

As a rule I don't order dessert. They are usually calorie-laden monstrosities big enough for the whole table, and that is the only way I sample those. Sometimes if we are splitting a meal with no appetizer, we'll split a dessert, or get it to go and have it later.

Your green tea ice cream sounds good, although I can't quite picture ice cream and rice together.
Last edited by Linda R. (NC) on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:49 pm

Think rice pudding and your mind might get closer.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:12 pm

OK, my mind is there, but I'm no fan of rice pudding. Now I do recall a dessert at an Italian restaurant was an exception to my usual "no dessert" rule. It was a marsala gelato. That was definitely a Yum! Actually, I think we split that, too. :(
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:54 pm

I had my lunch bought for me yesterday as part of the annual performance review, at a very nice restaurant in Tulsa, and opted for the Key lime pie, which came with a scoop of mango sorbet. Delicious, the both of them! I usually split something chocolate with Gail when we go out.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:07 pm

Somehow I cannot eat dessert after dinner unless it is a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. I've tried! If someone orders dessert and passes it around, I will have one taste. Not a big sweet eater, anyway. I'd rather save my calories for a nice sip of Korbel XS Brandy when I get home and sit in front of the fire with my favorite guy.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:20 am

I love dessert, although I agree that many restaurants have poor renditions that are a waste of calories (and grossly oversized in many US restaurants).

At home it is usually just fruit.

Since I so rarely go to restaurants to eat, when I do it is usually a relatively well-chosen place that should have its act together when it comes to dessert. And, in that case, I'm all for it!
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:34 am

At home, a piece of fruit, a handful of nuts, and maybe a piece of chocolate. It's pretty much a ritual with me.
When dining out, we like to order something from each course, to see what the kitchen can do, so we almost always will order one dessert for the two of us. More often than not, we'll ask the server to surprise us, which sometimes leads to very happy consequences.

At our last meal at Brother's at Mattei's Tavern in Los Olivos, that request produced an insanely delicious caramel custard tart with Chantilly cream - I liked it so much I tracked down the pastry chef and begged her for the recipe.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:44 am

Cheese.

My favorite dessert (which I've talked about ad nauseum) is a slice of Humboldt Fog chevre covered with some sliced figs and drizzled with honey, served with Sauternes.

"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:41 pm

I adore sticky black rice, grew up on the stuff. Black glutenous rice with sugar and coconut milk. Hmmm....
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:54 pm

I rarely eat dessert at home and don't have a sweet tooth, but I ALWAYS order dessert when I go out to dinner. I think it's because firstly, I rarely get to go out to dinner these days (maybe 5 times a yr at the most), so it's something very special, and even if I just have a bite, I will order a dessert. I have no problem leaving some dessert on my plate. The second reason I always order dessert is because I am very bad at making good desserts...it's NOT my forte, and I really appreciate when someone does it right. I will always order tiramisu if it's on the menu and my next choice would be creme brulee. If a place only has a scoop of ice cream, I won't order dessert...but I would get a hot fudge sunday!

Larry I have had green tea ice cream before and I think it's really nice. I especially like FRIED green tea ice cream...oh yum...a scoop of green tea or red bean ice cream battered with a thick tempura and deep fried. Fantastic when done right.

Edited to add: Stuart, if I saw that dessert at a restaurant, I might skip dinner completely! :D
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin