Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I love duck

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

I love duck

by Howard » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Here is a link to a story from the Chicago Tribune all about duck. It's written by Bonnie Benwick from the Washington Post. I haven't read the whole thing but there's a link to a how to video for duck confit as well as a bunch of recipes for relatively quick and painless duck dishes for quick and tasty dinners. The article is called Duck, deconstructed.

Mmmmmmmm Duck, mmmmmmm.
Howard
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: I love duck

by Martin Barz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:21 pm

I will post a recipy about duck. Stay tuned..........
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

RCP: Poached Duck Legs

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:35 pm

Registrations, logins. Grumble, grumble, grumble.
If you google Bonnie Benwick duck deconstructed you will find other articles of hers on duck that do not require log ins.

I love duck too and consider it one of the most wine-friendly proteins ever.

I have a favourite recipe for duck legs I call Mulled Duck. The poaching liquid makes a mighty fine rich stock and after refrigerating overnight and the fat layer removed, the stock can be used with chicken legs to make 'Mock Duck'.

For two people, two duck legs are poached for 20 minutes in a pot of water which has star anise, coriander seeds, whole cloves, a short stick of cinnamon, whole black pepper corns, a tablespoon of Tamari, a whole clove of garlic and zest of a tangelo added. The pot is removed from the element and left for about another twenty minutes to continue the infusion of flavours off direct heat.
Duck legs are removed to a rack to dry. Excess fat is patted off with a paper towel then the duck legs are quickly sizzled in a frying pan to crisp up the skin - yes amazingly, there is stil fat in the skin.
They are finished off in the oven to heat them right through while covered with foil to stop them drying out. They should be quite moist and tender. I served them with a tangelo and spiced red wine reduction sauce and accompanied them with Syrah.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: RCP: Poached Duck Legs

by Howard » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:04 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Registrations, logins. Grumble, grumble, grumble.
If you google Bonnie Benwick duck deconstructed you will find other articles of hers on duck that do not require log ins.

Oops, sorry. :oops: I always check my links to make sure that they work but I guess the cookies were saved so I didn't realize it needed a sign on.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll do this the next time the kids are away and it's just the missus and me.
Howard