Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pizza types

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Pizza types

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:01 am

Regional pizza styles: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/01/a-list-of-regional-pizza-styles.html

Includes familiar ones and ones I've never heard of. I've had plenty of tomato pies near Trenton, but I'd say my fave is probably NY style.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Pizza types

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 am

The did leave off Baltimore-Greek. Exemplified by the Kosmakos chain. Its junky wonderful deliciousness is the one thing that Robert Parker and I ever agreed on. Round, medium thick crust, thick edges, crispy bottom (cooked in a dark pan with oil), very light dough (they let it rise in the pan for an hour or more before baking), intensely garlicy/salty sauce.

Me, I cook Neapolitan. Too much time spent in Italy, I suppose.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:They did leave off Baltimore-Greek. Exemplified by the Kosmakos chain.

I wouldn't have expected them to know about pizza evolution in middle-size cities, but for the record, they left off Louisville-style, too, which is the odd but surprisingly tasty hybrid that emerged from an unnatural union when Italian immigrants met Midwest pizza on the banks of the Ohio: Thin crust topped with a gluttonous mound of toppings, cheese, more toppings and more cheese so you get a dinner-on-a-dish that stands about 1 inch thick in the middle, even though it's thin-crust, and will feed an army. Mecca of the genre: Impellizzeri's, with other early innovators including Bearno's and the not-so-ethnic Wick's and Clifton's.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:03 am

For the record, I also make Neapolitan style--and more often than other types. But a good NY style is what I like for takeout. Albuquerque has Giovanni's (in the top 100 in the country) for good NY style.

Why don't you two (Stuart and Robin) expand the regional list by forwarding your variants to that website?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 am

I'd rather donate my content to Robin's site. 8)
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.